Hi can anyone tell me if the ic-40 Uhf would suit our needs.

Hi guys I probably sound a bit blonde but I'm new to this stuff. We are heading to the Cape next year and my concern is no mobile coverage and limited cb coverage. I have a medical condition called lympyodemia in my arm so have to be extremely careful of not getting infection and if I do I need medical treatment quickly. This probably wont happen and I will take all precautions to ensure it doesn't but if it does would I be able to reach say the flying Dr service with an ic-40 UHF CB or not???
Thanks for your advice
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 12:09

Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 12:09

You will have to get a HF radio or a Sat Phone UHF will only work for line of sight and depending on where you are and the environmental factors around you might get 20km more if you use repeaters but it's not something you should rely on especially with a medical condition.
AnswerID: 347815

Follow Up By: brent and Di - Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 12:15

Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 12:15
Thanks for that info thought that might be the case. I think we might hire a Sat phone, I think you can do that. Better be safe than sorry.
Once again thanks for that
FollowupID: 616025

Follow Up By: Member - Mike DID - Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 12:16

Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 12:16
. . . and make sure it's an Iridium/Motorola Satphone.

The Globalstar network is currently useless.
FollowupID: 616028

Follow Up By: brent and Di - Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 12:22

Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 12:22
I've just been reading up on the HF Radio that sounds like it might be the go. I like the idea that you can get the air school on that one as well. As we will have 4 rug rats with us.
FollowupID: 616029

Reply By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 17:56

Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 17:56
I think not re RFDS on a UHF CB , the radio you would need would be either a Barrett or Codan HF radio , then you could join the VKS-737 4x4 radio service, and also notify RFDS of your licence etc ,

Other means of communication would be the Sat phone as already mentioned.

VKS-737 Radio Network

Barrett transceivers

Codan Radio communications

still going strong with 836,179 K's

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 347866

Reply By: Steve63 - Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 19:01

Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 19:01
The CB will not really help in the situation you are describing. Comms are only part of the issue. You need to get somewhere for treatment or in the case of evacuatuion where a plane can land. You may not be that far away but if it rains or conditions change suddenly it can take time to get places. Talk to your GP and they will probably give you some oral antibiotics you can use in this event. We have several items in the First Aid kit that are prescription items. They are not always a full treatment option but buy time to get somewhere without turning into an absolute mess. This can take the pressue off to get somewhere fast.

AnswerID: 347875

Reply By: cobber - Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 23:17

Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 23:17
As far as I know school of the air is not done on HF Radio, it has gone satellite for some time now.
AnswerID: 347924

Reply By: Von Helga - Saturday, Feb 07, 2009 at 13:44

Saturday, Feb 07, 2009 at 13:44
Brent and Di,
Apart from the comms issue I would contact the RFDS base in Cairns and give them a heads up of your specific condition and treatment regime so as if they need to provide assistance then they have the info at hand from the start. Also write down that info and put it in the glovebox so that when it goes pearshaped and people start to panic then the detail can be passed accurately to the Emergency Services whether by phone or at a clinic/hosp/paramedic on the road.
We did the same for a diabetic in our group in 03.

AnswerID: 348000

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)