Mounting Extra Gauges in a 80 series?

Submitted: Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 16:35
ThreadID: 65751 Views:10420 Replies:5 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Would like to add two or 3 extra gauges into a 1992 80 series GXL 1HD-T to monitor EGT's, Turbo Boost and maybe Engine Oil Temp.

Anyone know of a good mount & location inside on the dash etc for 2 or 3 gauges, or is there a good RH drivers pillar pod or some such to mount them in view but out of the way?

Not real keen on the idea of mounting them out front in stainless shroud on top of the bonnet, would prefer to keep them inside the cab if possible, and the Ohead consoles kinda full already!

What have others done - up on top of the dash?

Anyone can post pics of their solution in their 80 series would also be mucho appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: rapid80 - Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 20:01

Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 20:01
Sorry I don't have a photo atm but I used one of these :
bd performance x monitor
3in1 so mounting is easy.They do a universal dash top mount which I put on top in the centre. You can set max alarm points.There is no audible alarm but it flashes with the part that is exceeding your max value and it shows what value you are at. I put in the remote oil temp for my auto trans, it could be used for anything that you choose,incl coolant.
It stores the max values as well.
Its only about 100mm wide so not hard to find somewhere to mount it.
Hope that helps.
If its not what you are looking for check offroad80s.com, one of the guys is making a pillar mount for gauges.
AnswerID: 347881

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 20:19

Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 20:19
U can buy a 2 gauge pillar pod at Autobarn for about $36.
Not a perfect fit but good enough Fits 52mm gauges
Buy a smple pot of paint at your local paint shop and away u go

Heres 2 pics of mine

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found
FollowupID: 616116

Follow Up By: Flywest - Saturday, Feb 07, 2009 at 21:43

Saturday, Feb 07, 2009 at 21:43
Rapid80 - thanks for that digitaoloption small and neat - might be just the go!

My only question - the link for the US website, shows it being for a Cummins diesel - I am guessing it fits up OK to an 80 series 1HD-T engine - can't see why not eh?

The EGT probe should be easey enough to fit into the exhaust just after the turbo, The Turbo boost hopefully into a MAP sensor line or somethng, and Oil Temp - well I guess a oil port somewhere near the Oil filter or somewhere in the block - I don;t really wanna have to tap and thread the sump itself - or I guess a banjo Bolt sump plug's another option for oil temp sender?.

Any tips or easy solutions you came across fitting yours up?

Cheers & Thanks
FollowupID: 616291

Follow Up By: Flywest - Saturday, Feb 07, 2009 at 21:45

Saturday, Feb 07, 2009 at 21:45
Graham H Queensland - thanks for the pics -i'll go visit autobarm with a copy photo and see what they can do for us!

Other wise I'll try the 80 series site and see if I can track down a 3 pod version.

Cheers & Thanks
FollowupID: 616292

Reply By: Red Tail Black (WA) - Saturday, Feb 07, 2009 at 19:31

Saturday, Feb 07, 2009 at 19:31
Not an 80 series but built this for my troopy as I couldn't find any more room either.
Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found
Cheers

AnswerID: 348045

Reply By: Flywest - Saturday, Feb 07, 2009 at 21:47

Saturday, Feb 07, 2009 at 21:47
Red Tail Black - that is some neat thinking outside the square and very tidy fabrication - hats off to you - If I had more room in the 80 and still owned our old cabinet factory, machines and tools etc I'd be tempted to have a go at something similar!

Cheers
AnswerID: 348058

Follow Up By: Red Tail Black (WA) - Saturday, Feb 07, 2009 at 22:00

Saturday, Feb 07, 2009 at 22:00
Thanks Flywest,
Took a few models before I got it right. Its only made out of wood and galvanised on top to do the bends.
Image Could Not Be Found

Cheers Brian
FollowupID: 616293

Reply By: Wazza - (Vic) - Sunday, Feb 08, 2009 at 14:11

Sunday, Feb 08, 2009 at 14:11
Left hand side of the steering column is a small square plastic plate that I removed, filed out to suit 52mm guage and pushed my pyro in. Put a bit of bicycle tube around it to make a snug fit. If need be, I can remove it for sale. The plate could be put back in with a few tacks of glue. No one would know.

I might look like the gauge is obscured in the pic, but I can see the whole face no problems from my driving position, except if the wipers are on - only a couple of times a year anyway!

Maybe you can put 2 on the pillar and one here.

Wazza
AnswerID: 348156

Follow Up By: Falco80 - Sunday, Feb 08, 2009 at 22:03

Sunday, Feb 08, 2009 at 22:03
Hey Wazza,

That looks familiar! I agree it is a great place to mount a gauge. I put my VDO mechanical boost gauge there as it's too long to fit in a normal gauge cup with the fittings attached. I just went to town with the dremel in behind and the gauge sits in there snug now.

VDO EGT gauge

VDO boost gauge

Cheers,
Dan
FollowupID: 616468

Follow Up By: Wazza - (Vic) - Sunday, Feb 08, 2009 at 22:10

Sunday, Feb 08, 2009 at 22:10
Dan, great minds think alike. I put my boost guage where your temp guage is, but just sat it in the corner under the dash mat, seems to stay there without any movement, so have not gone to the hassle of a bracket yet. Although after towing in 46 degree heat with tandem trailer into a 60kmh headwind with aircon on over the weekend, I might get a better water temp guage. Factory moved up from half way for the second time ever, so keen to know what temps actaully were. Was running pretty high on the pyro (1100F post turbo), so backed off to 80kmh to bring it down.
FollowupID: 616470

Follow Up By: Falco80 - Sunday, Feb 08, 2009 at 22:59

Sunday, Feb 08, 2009 at 22:59
Yeah mate, the standard Toyota temp gauge has a huge "dead spot" where the needle won't move, but your coolant temp is rising and falling. I fitted a digital temp monitor. It attaches to a bolt on your engine, usually thermostat housing, and displays it's temp. Simple to fit and it has an alarm limit you can set which squeals if that temp is reached. I'm not selling these things, just have had one before in my petrol 80 series and think they are great. What ever you choose it will no doubt be more accurate than the standard temp gauge!

Cheers,
Dan
FollowupID: 616480

Reply By: rapid80 - Monday, Feb 09, 2009 at 07:36

Monday, Feb 09, 2009 at 07:36
Flywest
You can buy a universal x monitor thats a dash top mount. Its easy to fit,comes with pyro,boost tube and wiring. You can tee into the turbo boost line going to the pressure switch near the air filter.EGT pyro I have in the dump pipe which beaudesert supply with the fitting welded on.I ordered the extra oil temp sensor to measure auto trans temp.Its optional,you can get just a egt/boost gauge.

AnswerID: 348272

Sponsored Links