Off Road Caravan for 4 (2 + 2 kids)

Submitted: Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 20:50
ThreadID: 65757 Views:2522 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Starting the planning for our next big trip to NT and WA via SA and was after some advise on what caravan and car I would require.

Currently have a Jayco Swan OB pulled by an Holden Adventra, but was under the impression that for some of the roads in the top-end I would at least required something better in the pulling department. As for the van, would like to upgrade to a full van (possible a pop-top) but ideally it would need to have a couple of bunks.

Any assistance on car/van combination and also places to go/avoid would be gratefully accepted
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Saharaman (aka Geepeem) - Saturday, Feb 07, 2009 at 07:44

Saturday, Feb 07, 2009 at 07:44
Hi,
Your question is a little too general for specific responses – more information needed. What is your budget for van and 4x4, where do you want to go on these trips etc.
But as a general comment (not from personal experience) but from my own research I can suggest you look at Supreme Getaway Off Road or the Royal Flair Tuff Roder Off Road van. I have seen both of these models second hand with bunks. Modern vans with bunks are probably not as common as they were years ago as many new vans are purpose built for retirees. However if you are buying new I would expect any manufacturer can custom build with bunks.
If your budget allows then there are Bushtracker, Phoenix and Kedron vans which could be classed as the real heavy duty off road ability.
For tow vehicle you need to match accordingly with the van you buy. If you go for the larger off road van you will need probably the larger 4x4 like a Turbo Diesel Landcruiser or 4.2 Turbo Diesel Nissan would be my choice. But how long is a piece of string. There would be many van & 4x4 combinations that will do the job – its really up to what you want to do with the van and what sort of budget you have.
Whatever you choose – I hope you have a great time travelling with the family.
Cheers,
GPM

AnswerID: 347948

Reply By: furph - Saturday, Feb 07, 2009 at 08:22

Saturday, Feb 07, 2009 at 08:22
Have a look at the Supreme Getaway presently on ebay.
It may not be exactly what you require but it would go everywhere you wanted to take it.
At the asking price it is top value.
Wish I could swap my older Getaway for it!
furph
AnswerID: 347954

Reply By: Trevor R (QLD) - Sunday, Feb 08, 2009 at 10:00

Sunday, Feb 08, 2009 at 10:00
I saw an Adventra towing a Jayco on roader out at Innaminka middle of last year so if what you have suits layout wise, I wouldn't be too quick to trade what you already have. Most "dirt roads" will be handled pretty easily by your current setup, if you have correct tyres/pressures and drive sensibly.

If your current setup doesn't suit layout wise, the world is your oyster in terms of choice. I would go for fuel efficient car with light van if changing.

Cheers, trevor.
AnswerID: 348116

Sponsored Links