Insurance Company Scams!.

Submitted: Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 21:21
ThreadID: 65760 Views:5506 Replies:20 FollowUps:28
This Thread has been Archived
Received comformation on our payout for a recentley stolen vehicle, only to discover that the The balance of rego left and ctp amounts have been deducted from the payout amount!! That being 12mths as it was stolen in January and just been regoed.

WTF!!, They sent us a form to present to the RTA to claim back but this should be on top for us!, as we paid it in the first place!

All the screaming over the phone has just fallen on deaf ears!.

This is from one of Australias biggest motor vehicle insurers, and my niece who works for a broker stated a few others are now following suit.

Cheers Axle.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Hairs & Fysh (NSW) - Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 21:40

Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 21:40
Hi Axel,
I couldn't imagine your frustration ATM, They always seam to find a way around paying these days.
Unfortunately they are a necessary evil and they know it.
On Monday I will ask mine.
Cheers for the heads up
AnswerID: 347896

Follow Up By: Member - Axle - Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 22:11

Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 22:11
LOL!.. Jon.......Necessary....and....Evil.!

Cheers Axle.
FollowupID: 616141

Reply By: stefan & 12 times Dakar winner - Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 21:43

Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 21:43
I reckon they should just pay the agreed value, as they bought it of you as soon as they accepted the claim. I know it seems harsh as you just regoed it and fixed a couple of things. Would you feel just as bad if it went missing with 4 bald tyres, hole in the exhaust and a days rego left? They would still pay the same price

Its just life mate :)......I know I have been subject to it with my sons revolving door policy with cars. I am on first name basis with most of the claims dept :)

Cheers Stefan
AnswerID: 347897

Follow Up By: Member - Axle - Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 22:03

Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 22:03
Can understand your point to a degree, But Fail to see where Rego is anything to do with them!, unless of course it wasn't registered. I must be getting old! & chitty, but seem to be dodgin a lot of knifes latlely...lol.

Cheers Axle.
FollowupID: 616139

Reply By: Member - Robert R1 (SA) - Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 22:21

Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 22:21
Axel,

Never accept what the insurance company says they will give you. I always treat it as an ambit claim. Write them a letter stating your grievances. You may get nothing extra but I have found that they sometimes allow things in your favour. At the worst you have wasted a few minutes and a stamp. It shouldn't be like that but I think they like to see what they can get away with. There is probably an award at the office christmas party.

Regards,
Bob
AnswerID: 347906

Reply By: garrycol - Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 22:36

Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 22:36
What does you policy say? If it is there, you agreed to this when you took out the policy. If it is not in the policy - you need to bring it to their attention. If no luck - off to the insurance ombudsman you go.

Garry
AnswerID: 347910

Reply By: Wherehegon - Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 22:52

Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 22:52
Hi Axle, I have just copied your complaint to a mate of mine. He had his written off last week by some one running up his rear. He was paying his insurance by the month and had just started again for the next 12 months and they deducted the full amount owing from what they owed him. This part he doesnt think is fair but I tryed to explain to him that this is what they do, they are just being nice and letting him pay by the month so really no difference had he had to pay the 12 months up front (not related to your problem) . The rego part of it he was in the same position as you, and they were going to take a few more $$$ from it. He has since rang the RTA and explained the situation and he went in yesterday and signed all the appropriate paperwork to say the vehicle had been written off and the vehicle has since been sold (auction, by the insurance company) and plates were still attached to the vehicle. He then went to the same insurance company who he had the vehicle insured with plus green slip and got a part refund for the greenslip as well. BUT he is now in the s h i t with them as they said he shouldnt have got a refund on the RTA part of it as the vehicle is not now owned by him anymore. He told them to jam it as he was the one who payed for the green slip and rego in the first place not them. Will see what happens over the next week. They have deducted the amount of the RTA charge from his payout cheque. Sounds like their all there to do their best at getting every red cent from us. Im waiting to see wether my policy increases this year as I claimed for a new windscreen this week BUT I pay extra in my policy to have it (any glass breakage) but will wait and see when the policy is due next !!! WHG
AnswerID: 347914

Follow Up By: Member - Axle - Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 23:19

Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 23:19
G/Day WHG, Interesting reading!, only took 1/2HR to get through it all...LOL..lol., But with you all the way mate!, Just let me know what happens all round, Thanks!.

Cheers Axle.
FollowupID: 616158

Reply By: dublediff - Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 23:13

Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 23:13
Just received my renewal for insurance from AAMI. An attachment to the renewal lays out the 'new' conditions of the insurance cover. One of the conditions is that on the instance of a 'writeoff' the vehicle and any remaining rego/insurance belongs to AAMI on the payout. It also states that if I was paying via installments the remaining amounts for the years cover would be deducted from the payout first. It's all in the fine print - well actually the same size print as the rest of the policy but most of us don't read the full conditions. Heads up everybody and know what your cover actually is.
AnswerID: 347921

Follow Up By: Wherehegon - Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 23:27

Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 23:27
The owing if your paying by installments I can understand but to get the rego money as well pfffff Fricken just screwing everyone. Why should they ??? they didnt pay for the rego. If the vehicle has been written off the rego has to be cancelled and plates handed in, so their making extra $$$ by claiming the rego money. Just another way of screwing every last cent, like they dont charge enough to insure already. Look at the b u l s h i t now with green slips, have increased the age to 30 now so will cost most under 30 year olds $500 + for a greenslip. Friggen joke. WHG
FollowupID: 616159

Follow Up By: Member - Axle - Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 23:36

Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 23:36
Thats what i"M on about!!!, the company you mention is the one thats doing the follow up to ours!!, As you state "New Conditions", I probably didn't look at the fine print last year as been with the same company for year after year, you just pay the thing!!. They wouldn't dare send you a letter to state a new condition is in place half way thru the year!!.

Cheers Axle.
FollowupID: 616160

Follow Up By: Member - Axle - Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 23:57

Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 23:57
WHG!!, Just thinking , Its a legality thing taken to the wire!!!.

They own the car if stolen from When?? They take the monies out for rego on completion of payout! So it looks like when the claim is lodged its their car!!. the rego money is theirs!!, But you can then claim it back from the RTA, "WTF system".

Cheers Axle.
FollowupID: 616162

Reply By: Shaker - Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 23:38

Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 23:38
I don't believe it is a 'scam'

As the registered owner you are the only person able to get therefund, for the insurance to obtain the refund you have to transfer the vehicle to them, which may involve stamp duty etc.
AnswerID: 347929

Reply By: Willem - Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 23:47

Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 23:47
Geez Axle....I don't want your life....you really stress too much about everything. So what the rego worth? Go claim it back from the RTA. Most likely the rego was worth more than the car and thats why yer gone screaming mad.........take a deep breath....inhale, exhale and again...there now...feel better?.......lol

Cheers
AnswerID: 347931

Follow Up By: Member - Axle - Saturday, Feb 07, 2009 at 00:28

Saturday, Feb 07, 2009 at 00:28
WILLEM!! Ya not listening!! The car was regoed in january, stolen the same month!, they deducted the amount from the agreed payout figure, plus the normal excess, " Pray tell me why should i have to pay twice"???. Iam only getting back what they deduct, I payed the thing from the start.

Cheers Axle.
FollowupID: 616163

Follow Up By: Shaker - Saturday, Feb 07, 2009 at 12:25

Saturday, Feb 07, 2009 at 12:25
I can't believe that you expect the insurance company to insure your registration & CTP insurance.
If you had extended warranty insurance, would you have expected that to be covered too?
FollowupID: 616218

Follow Up By: Member - Axle - Saturday, Feb 07, 2009 at 14:45

Saturday, Feb 07, 2009 at 14:45
Shaker, They are two seperate entitys

Wouldn't of thought they had anything to do with the agreed value of the motor vehcle.

cheers Axle.
FollowupID: 616244

Follow Up By: Shaker - Saturday, Feb 07, 2009 at 16:34

Saturday, Feb 07, 2009 at 16:34
Correct!
Which is precisely why the insurers don't include it, but they have notified you that you can claim it back.
FollowupID: 616256

Follow Up By: Wherehegon - Saturday, Feb 07, 2009 at 23:26

Saturday, Feb 07, 2009 at 23:26
Hi there Shaker, Axle is getting ripped off. Lets say his vehicle is insured for ten g's ($10,000) agreed value, he has payed his insurance fully (not by the month) the vehicle is written off he pays his excess up front, he should receive a check for 10'g's. Then he should be going to the RTA and getting prorata of what was left of his rego (not including greenslip). What they have done is just money grabbing. Let say he was entitaled to $300 refund for his rego all up he should have $10,300 in his hand, not $10,000. Yes they have sent him a letter to claim the rego back BUT it has been taken off what the vehicle was insured for, should have absolutely nothing to do with it. They didnt pay his rego. Bloody typical money hungry insurance company...........WHG
FollowupID: 616309

Follow Up By: Shaker - Sunday, Feb 08, 2009 at 09:14

Sunday, Feb 08, 2009 at 09:14
The only person that can claim it back is the registered owner!
FollowupID: 616324

Follow Up By: robak (QLD) - Monday, Feb 09, 2009 at 14:27

Monday, Feb 09, 2009 at 14:27
I'm with shaker on this one.

Previouslyif your car $30k was written off you'd get $30. Then you'd go to the RTA and claim the balance of your rego.

Now, insurance companies claim that the rego is part of the insurance and therefore they have possesion of it together with the wreck. But rather than going through the painful task of claiming the balance of the rego they'll let you do it for them and take that money off you by deducting it from the payout.

I reckon if they want to keep the rego money, they should go through the process themselves and not send their client to do their work.
FollowupID: 616534

Follow Up By: Wherehegon - Monday, Feb 09, 2009 at 14:42

Monday, Feb 09, 2009 at 14:42
Hi there Robak, Im not saying I dont believe shaker, I do, I just think its wrong that the insurance companys are screwing us by doing this. And as far as doing their dirty work for them !!! doesnt surprise me in the least. I still think that the rego should have nothing to do with it, they didnt pay for it in the first place. Just screwing every bit they can. I'm waiting to see when my policy comes in this year if its gone up due to replacing my windscreen even though I pay extra in my insurance for any glass breakage. Bet it will and they will come up with some bulls h i t excuse. They advertise as 65% for the life of the poilcy but 65% of what ?? All they do is increase the base premium, cought my insurance company out last year with wifes car. Notice how they dont have the base premium written on the policy anymore ?? only have the deductions for being a loyal, multi policy holder etc etc BUT dont have the base premium on there like they use to, and try asking for it ?? Wont give to you.............. WHG
FollowupID: 616535

Follow Up By: Shaker - Monday, Feb 09, 2009 at 15:53

Monday, Feb 09, 2009 at 15:53
What about the insurance companes that get ripped off by people removing parts & accessories from their vehicles after they smash them.
FollowupID: 616546

Follow Up By: Wherehegon - Tuesday, Feb 10, 2009 at 11:42

Tuesday, Feb 10, 2009 at 11:42
And they have the right to do so, have been through this myself. IF the items are not stated on their policy, eg, cd player they are allowed to be removed, providing it is replaced with either the original stereo or of equel value. Driving lights if added after, mag wheels providing you put originals back on with road worthy tyres. If I was to have my prado written off the insurance company gets the lot as its all insured and stated on policy, UHF,Bar,lights, cargo barrier etc. I know what your saying though and yes alot of people rip off the insurance companys even by having their own vehicles stolen which s h i t s me as our premiums go up to cover it but its the innocent ones that get screwed.............. WHG
FollowupID: 616640

Follow Up By: Hairs & Fysh (NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 10, 2009 at 12:36

Tuesday, Feb 10, 2009 at 12:36
What about the repair yards that strip vehicles when they arrive before the accessor has had a chance to look over the vehicle.
I believe they are the dodgy ones. The repair industry is rife with not so honest people.

FollowupID: 616644

Follow Up By: The Landy - Tuesday, Feb 10, 2009 at 12:47

Tuesday, Feb 10, 2009 at 12:47
The key to this whole discussion is know what it is that you get in terms of the policy you are paying for. Is it a scam...it would only be a scam if it wasn't clearly outlined in the policy documents; in which case you have legal rights to contest the actions of the insurance company.

Is it fair? Well others can argue that one. However, it is worth noting that under most policies if a vehicle that was purchased new is written off in the first 12-24 months the insurance company usually pays for the replacement vehicles next 12 months rego and CTP. This might be despite there being no refund of the rego and CTP on the written off vehicle as it may be in the month that it was due to be paid.....so it looks like swings and round-a-bouts for both the insurance company and the policy holder....
FollowupID: 616645

Follow Up By: Wherehegon - Tuesday, Feb 10, 2009 at 13:51

Tuesday, Feb 10, 2009 at 13:51
Well put Landy, very true.

And Jon, very very true what you say. I use to work for a smash repairer, at the time I didnt know what was going on as I had only just started there, but they use to pay (money in the back pocket) some low lifes to go and steel cars (virtually new ones), just happened to be left a few streets away from our repairer, funny enough our tow truck driver would recover the vehicle/s and would end been stripped in our work shop, all the stuff hidden upstairs, (mezanein level) would claim for all new parts, get the $$$ then put all the old stuff back in again. Now Im sure there was many involved in it all as I never saw any new parts turn up so Im sure the spare parts were involved as well. He ended up losing his smash repairers licence for about 5 years I believe but wasnt an issue as everything was then put in his sons name and they continued along. It was NRMA who ended up catching him out..........WHG
FollowupID: 616653

Reply By: Motherhen - Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 23:59

Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 23:59
Hi Axle

Glad you got the claim through.

I once had an insurance company 'furious' when they discovered i had beaten them to taking off the plates and getting the refund - almost full year of licence paid. It seems that they quietly claimed refunds, leaving the owner unaware he was entitled to any licence refund. Not fair that they get it as the premium and pay out has no relationship to due date of licence.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 347933

Reply By: Off-track - Saturday, Feb 07, 2009 at 00:06

Saturday, Feb 07, 2009 at 00:06
Some years ago I wrote off my car and subsequently received the insurance payout offer in the mail. It wasnt nearly enough. So I rang them up and explained this to them and that this car would easily fetch more on the market. Straight away the claims person on the other end asked what amount I thought it was worth, to which I (stupidly, and irrationally) responded with $8500 to $9000.

"Ok, $8500 it is then" was his reply.

Whilst I was happy to get a much better result I kicked myself for not just simply saying $9000 at the outset!
AnswerID: 347934

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Saturday, Feb 07, 2009 at 12:21

Saturday, Feb 07, 2009 at 12:21
Faced the same issue on wife's car insured for 'market value'. It was old in years but young in K's and the firm's view of market value was far lower than mine.

They challenged me to find ads of similar cars for sale and forward them, which I did and this substantially lifted the payout.
FollowupID: 616217

Reply By: WillyWish - Saturday, Feb 07, 2009 at 00:36

Saturday, Feb 07, 2009 at 00:36
Contact APRA.

Even better, if you feel your insurance company is taking you for a ride, just get on the phone and calmly say that unless they negotiate a reasonable outcome then you'll be contacting the Australian Prudential Regulation Authority to follow up. Most IC's will quickly back down unless they are really on solid ground.

Good luck.
AnswerID: 347937

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val W (ACT) - Saturday, Feb 07, 2009 at 08:26

Saturday, Feb 07, 2009 at 08:26
Insurance companies have an internal complaints section and an internal ombudsman. On top of that there is an insurance industry ombudsman. WE found this system to be very effective last year while dealing with a big (non vehicle) claim with the "Lucky you're with..." company.
Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 616175

Reply By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Saturday, Feb 07, 2009 at 07:14

Saturday, Feb 07, 2009 at 07:14
Hi Axle,
I've been caught on this one too.

The policy will state something like "we will deduct the rego amount from the pay out only in states that will allow it"

So in NSW they deduct the rego amount because our wonderful state government has given them the premission to do it.

In other states they do what Motherhen has said, grab the plates and go for the refund unless you beat them to it.

At the time I did ask who paid and owned the rego? They seamed to think I did. I also asked if the vehicle got any speed camera fines who was responsible for them? Why the registered owner of course!

Next question, So in the event of a write off do you suddenly become the registered owner? Well no, we can't take something in your name.

It ended up becoming a circular argument, the bottom line is they do it because the relevant state legislation says they can.

Maybe add that to the list of Premier Garbo's to do's.

Geoff

Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

AnswerID: 347946

Reply By: Ozboc - Saturday, Feb 07, 2009 at 07:27

Saturday, Feb 07, 2009 at 07:27
here is a similar kind of story -- some years i Had a Road/ trail bike -- I just re registered it ( with 12 months ) - 3 days later the bike was stolen

these kind of bikes never turn up again ( and it didn't ) so i went to the RTA to get my rego $$ back

I was informed that i would have to hand in the number plate before i could get a refund .... I informed the girl that the bike had been stolen WITH the number plate attached

Im sorry sir , you need to hand in the number plate before you can get a refund , she repeats.

I start to get Narky at this stage and sarcastic , so what your telling me is that i should find the guy that stole my bike , go remove the number plate so i can then get a refund ( she missed the irony of this comment- could almost hear crickets in the back ground and the sound of grinding gears )

she returned with a blank look and said there is nothing i can do without you returning the number plate - asked to speek to the supervisor , got the same story

clearly common sence was not at the RTA that day - i gave up and just left....

Boc
AnswerID: 347947

Follow Up By: Off-track - Saturday, Feb 07, 2009 at 23:41

Saturday, Feb 07, 2009 at 23:41
Wonder what would have happened if you stated that the plates were stolen and wanted a replacement set. Then as she handed the new plates hand them straight back stating the car was attached to the plates and stolen too!
FollowupID: 616311

Reply By: DIO - Saturday, Feb 07, 2009 at 09:45

Saturday, Feb 07, 2009 at 09:45
Since when was rego and ctp ever covered by insurence ? They've actually done you a favour by drawing your attention to the fact that you could obtain a refund from MRD (or whoever) for unused rego etc. You could have cancelled rego when you reported vehice stolen and received a refund.
AnswerID: 347964

Reply By: nickb - Saturday, Feb 07, 2009 at 11:14

Saturday, Feb 07, 2009 at 11:14
I'm covered by Police and Nurses insurance (WA) who are underwritten by CUNA Mutual.

When my car was written off in SA (not at fault accident), they sent me a letter to give to the licensing department to prove the car was written off, allowing me to get a refund on my rego.

But now they can't find the address of the other driver (german tourist) so they won't refund my excess and the accident is on record as my fault. In the PDS apparantly. Bugger. Hasn't affected the insurance on my new truck, same premium and NCB as before...
AnswerID: 347978

Reply By: get outmore - Saturday, Feb 07, 2009 at 16:41

Saturday, Feb 07, 2009 at 16:41
obvioslya new thing in 96 I wrote a car off and claimed the remaining rego - insurance company never mentioned it
AnswerID: 348021

Reply By: Hairs & Fysh (NSW) - Saturday, Feb 07, 2009 at 16:47

Saturday, Feb 07, 2009 at 16:47
While on the topic of of insurance, I know it's not car insurance, but
House insurance, Guys, just check to see if you are covered for Site Clean Up. Some insurance companies do not cover this in the event that your house burns down or is demolished from a storm. It can run into the tens of thousands of dollars that come out of you pocket before they start to rebuild your house.
Hmm they're cunning buggers.

AnswerID: 348023

Reply By: RV Powerstream P/L - Saturday, Feb 07, 2009 at 17:08

Saturday, Feb 07, 2009 at 17:08
I am a scrooge I bought and MU the Insurance company would not insure it as an Import under $1200 per annum..
I bought a second one uncomplied for $3000 wreck value only grey import.
I then Insured the first one 3rd Party Property which covers me if I hit someone so if someone hits me insured Im covered by them and if they are not insured I am covered for $3000.
If im hit and not covered I use the second car which is on blocks as my Insurance and put my car back on the road.

I have done this for 5 years now so 5 years at $1200 is $6000
and I used the wheels and tyres off the wreck which were brand new so that is worth $1000.

The Insurance is $134 per annum so five years is worth $720.

We have a second registered MU for 2 years which is also covered 3rd Party so add $268.
So currently my total cost is $3988 less $1000 for the Tyres so $2988 against $6000= Money saved $3012 and I still have a spare car on blocks from which I have now pinched the motor to rebuild and instal in my 2002 Jackaroo that I bought on ebay for $4500.

Thank you Mr Insurer meet Mr Jew nose and please keep working for me but dont rip off fair dinkum people like axle to make up for it.
Ian

AnswerID: 348029

Follow Up By: Shaker - Saturday, Feb 07, 2009 at 21:38

Saturday, Feb 07, 2009 at 21:38
They haven't ripped him off!
FollowupID: 616290

Follow Up By: RV Powerstream P/L - Sunday, Feb 08, 2009 at 15:57

Sunday, Feb 08, 2009 at 15:57
I know as Ive been through the exact same thing with a car of my daughter who was killed by a drunk driver and then to top that when the Insurance money was claimed for her children they deducted the funeral expenses back out that had previously been paid so to me they are just rip off merchants.
I was hoping it might make him feel better.
Ian
FollowupID: 616385

Reply By: S&N - Saturday, Feb 07, 2009 at 23:23

Saturday, Feb 07, 2009 at 23:23
I feel your pain Axle, and i am on your side. but..... to be the devils advocate for a second.
1. you crashed a registered vehicle.
2. they agreed to pay you out (BUY IT OFF YOU)
3. you cancel the rego and pocket it, before they pay you out/take it
4. its now an UN-REGISTERED vehicle...........insurance doesn't cover an un-registered vehicle. just be happy that they dont pull this on you!

if you cancel rego before they take it, its un-registered and un-insurable, if you cancel it after they take it, its theft as its not your vehicle anymore.

just a thought. can anyone else see my point?
(im not saying it doesn't hurt, but its fair)
AnswerID: 348076

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Feb 08, 2009 at 00:02

Sunday, Feb 08, 2009 at 00:02
Nope. It would have been registered on the day of the accident, so would be ok.

If he cancelled it the day he had accident, then he *MAY* be rooted..
FollowupID: 616314

Follow Up By: S&N - Sunday, Feb 08, 2009 at 00:22

Sunday, Feb 08, 2009 at 00:22
dont be painful bruce,
they are effectively buying your vehicle off you. they only insure regoed vehicles, and im sure they expect it to be registered when they buy it off you! yes they are doubly dipping, but how would you react if you agreed to buy a car that had rego and when you came to pick it up it was un registered? and then the owner said "well i paid for the rego, the rego is mine"

FollowupID: 616317

Follow Up By: Shaker - Sunday, Feb 08, 2009 at 18:47

Sunday, Feb 08, 2009 at 18:47
I don't feel his pain ... I feel the pain of the families of the 35 or 40 killed in the bushfires, or for the 640 familes that have lost their homes.

At the end of the day, if they paid him the full amount & then he claimed back his rego ..... he would be double dipping.

Get over it!
FollowupID: 616418

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Feb 08, 2009 at 19:43

Sunday, Feb 08, 2009 at 19:43
Car accident and buying it are different.

As long as its registered and insured at the time of the incident, the end.

What if his rego ran out the day of the incident, and then they said the next day when the assessor turned up and paperwork starts, oh sorry, its not registered bad luck?

ex-mistake had an accident at 3.30 on day the insurance ran out on the 626 yrs back... it was out of insurance while it was being towed away (not at fault accident), should I not have been paid?
FollowupID: 616430

Reply By: The Landy - Monday, Feb 09, 2009 at 14:30

Monday, Feb 09, 2009 at 14:30
After reading this I checked my comprehensive policy with NRMA. I expect that other insurers will have the same conditions. In part, the terms and conditions say;

Write-Off (of vehicle purchased new and less than 24 months old)

If purchased new and within the first 24 months it is written off, the insurer will replace the vehicle and pay the first 12 months registration and CTP insurance, if applicable. In return, I am required to pay any excess, outstanding premium’s, including the balance of all monthly instalments and the refund I receive from the registration and CTP insurance on the written off vehicle.

Write-Off (if older than 24 months or not purchased new)

The insurer will pay the agreed value after deducting, any unpaid premium, any applicable excess and the unused portions of the registration and CTP insurance that I am entitled to and the vehicle becomes the insurer’s property.

So it isn’t all a one-way street, they will pay for 12 months registration if the vehicle written off was purchased new and less than 24 months old. Older than 24 months or not purchased new; I guess they argue that they insure the car for an agreed value and if written off they get the remains including any refunds due.

Mind you for every scam we the insured can come up with I reckon the insurance companies probably have a list twice as long of scams they put up with….that is why we all pay for the roof for insurance…
AnswerID: 348319

Sponsored Links