Its nearly done

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 07, 2009 at 20:05
ThreadID: 65783 Views:1876 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
The Troopies nearly finished and would like to thank everyone who gave us input in the last 12 months. The Chevy now has all 3 sender units in and all the inside boxes are completed.
Have put a few photos on here and will add more to our home page.

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Cheers Brian and Julie

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rockape - Saturday, Feb 07, 2009 at 20:21

Saturday, Feb 07, 2009 at 20:21
Very, very nice Brian, I hope you get a good run out of her.

If you keep the engine around 2200 to 2300 hundred revs you and travel with a light foot your fuel consumption will be quite good.

Also I was advised to use Delo silver 15w 40 and I find I don't use or leak oil.

Have a good one
AnswerID: 348051

Follow Up By: Red Tail Black (WA) - Saturday, Feb 07, 2009 at 23:21

Saturday, Feb 07, 2009 at 23:21
Thanks Rockape,
I am going to do a bit more investigation in to the oils I should use. I'll keep in mind this brand.
Thanks once again
Cheers Brian
FollowupID: 616308

Reply By: Flywest - Saturday, Feb 07, 2009 at 22:18

Saturday, Feb 07, 2009 at 22:18
Brian - That troopy is a credit to you - obviously alot of work went into it!

I would be tempted to keep a few used oil samples - and have them analysed by westrac equip etc here in Perth.

I foumd with both the Tdiesels that I added LPG injection too - that my oil sampoles were oxidising faster than normal - also high levels of nitration, and sulphation is an issue!

It appears that - like LPG engined forklifts, these LPG diesel engines seem to need a oil higher in sulphated ash content, compared to just straight diesels!

They also need high calcium levels in the oil add pack

A lot (nearly all) Oil manufacturers are switching away from Calcium in their add packs to counteract acids formed in combustion that blow by into the sump oil, and replacing it with magnesium based compunds as their "base" instead!

One of the problems with SOME of the earlier Japanese diesels is that they run their oil at above the breakdown heat for the magnesium compounds in the oil, and it burns off and therefore diesnt counteract the acids formed during combustion.

Likely this wn't be an issue for you with a USA build Chev engine - BUT asyou know these Chevs have a reputation for running on the warm side!

Some of the worst offending oils seem to be the fully synthetic & even synthetic blends!

Apparently the magnesium is a LOT easier on the catalytic converters - hence the reason manufacturers are phasing out the Calcium base in their add packs.

If it were me and you have to use the new oils with Magnesium - I wouldn't be trying for extended oil change intervals!

The oils viscosity / lubricity is probably OK to go longer than 5000 km's betweenm changes but you could end up with corrosion from excess acid in the oil IMHO if you try the 10,000, 15000 or 20,000KM extended oil change intervals!

Your Used Oil Analysis will help you out to know just exactly how she is faring at any given time!

Cheers and keep us posted how she goes!
AnswerID: 348062

Follow Up By: Red Tail Black (WA) - Saturday, Feb 07, 2009 at 23:17

Saturday, Feb 07, 2009 at 23:17
Thanks Flywest,
Great information will certainly keep an I on it. I'm not one for missing oil changes and only use what I believe is good oil.
Due for my 1st service at Brunswick will follow this up with them. Only got the running in oil in at the moment.
Thanks once again great info.
Cheers Brian
FollowupID: 616307

Reply By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Saturday, Feb 07, 2009 at 22:22

Saturday, Feb 07, 2009 at 22:22
Hi Brian & Julie, not sure about the car but I do love your profile pic, they are such a lovely bird, we have some in the bush behind us and oh how noisy are they????????? but I love em.

Cheers

Deanna

Simba, our much missed baby.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 348065

Follow Up By: Red Tail Black (WA) - Saturday, Feb 07, 2009 at 23:27

Saturday, Feb 07, 2009 at 23:27
Yes we love them too Deanna, trouble is they are getting scarce now especially the Baudins. Made it our call sign and are just having decals of them put on to our new caravan. Love them when they fly over before it rains.
Cheers
FollowupID: 616310

Reply By: Falco80 - Sunday, Feb 08, 2009 at 21:22

Sunday, Feb 08, 2009 at 21:22
Great Job guys! I like the setup in the back and especially the job you've done with that gauge panel.
AnswerID: 348231

Sponsored Links