crossing the simpson desert for the first time

planing to cross late may .as it is my first time accross any sugestions as to the best route for a first timer .been 4wd for 15years but mostly mud and high country in eastern victoria.have a 2008 d40 turbo deisil auto 2inch lift rear diff lock warn winch. any sugestions on what spars to carry in relation to a d40 [exept the obvious,hoses,belts,patrol,landcruiser,
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Feb 07, 2009 at 21:25

Saturday, Feb 07, 2009 at 21:25
Hi Warren
Any trip across the Simpson is rewarding, but the first will get you in, and like other Simpson devotees, will not be your last if you love the red and open country. For a first timer, the most important thing that you must do is drop your tyre pressures. Start around the 18psi mark as a general rule and take it from there. Do a mixture of all tracks, that way you can decide what is your cup of tea. Do not rush the trip, allow a good 4-5 days for the first time, longer if you have the time and want to explore most places and tracks. For a first timer, you would want to take in the Lone Gum and the Knolls.
Take extra fuel and water, and a good height sand flag and sit on channel 10 on the UHF.
Read as much as you can to get a feel of the area before you get there.

Enjoy your first trip and we all look forward to hearing of your fun when you get back.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 348054

Follow Up By: Member - warren G (VIC) - Sunday, Feb 08, 2009 at 21:25

Sunday, Feb 08, 2009 at 21:25
thanks for input will take time crossing chees warren
FollowupID: 616450

Reply By: Crackles - Saturday, Feb 07, 2009 at 23:11

Saturday, Feb 07, 2009 at 23:11
Any route is good. QAA, French Line, Knolls, WAA & the Rig Rd makes an interesting diversion.
Not many spares required if car is new or well maintained. Tyres should be better than 50% tread & pay special attention to bearings & ensuring suspension is A1. A selection of metric bolts, fuses, tie wire, fuel filter, air filter, silastic, tapes & glue may all come in handy. The majority of issues on outback trips are often the assesories we fit ourselves not the car it's self. A tubeless tyre repair kit may also be needed particually on the roads to & from the desert.
Have fun. Cheers Craig.
AnswerID: 348071

Follow Up By: Member - warren G (VIC) - Sunday, Feb 08, 2009 at 21:27

Sunday, Feb 08, 2009 at 21:27
thanks for input car has done only 1500kl and susspension has only just been fitted
FollowupID: 616451

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Feb 08, 2009 at 14:09

Sunday, Feb 08, 2009 at 14:09
Hi Warren
Further to my reply above, take a look at the pictures that Ruth has taken this morning. Seeing that this is your first Simpson Crossing, it will be advisable to come from the west to Birdsville.
Make sure that you take some MaxTrax and a long handle shovel - you need them. May is still early in the season and the sand is still going to be very soft, so as a added measure of safety, do your sums correctly for fuel consumption and take extra water.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 348155

Follow Up By: Crackles - Sunday, Feb 08, 2009 at 15:55

Sunday, Feb 08, 2009 at 15:55
Need a shovel yes. Need Maxtrax? .............Well 20,000 vehicles have crossed the Simpson in the past without them so probably not neccesary.
By late May there will be a reasonable set of wheel tracks to follow making it straight forward in either direction.
Cheers Craig........
FollowupID: 616384

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Feb 08, 2009 at 16:55

Sunday, Feb 08, 2009 at 16:55
Hi Craig,
Have you ever travelled the Simpson in May? If you have, you will know that the day temperatures will still be high, in the high thirties and low forties and sand very dry, unless there is a lot of rain in the Simpson. Regardless of how many vehicles have travelled the Simpson, the main track is usually blown over during the summer winds. Usually the first vehicles that make the first few crossings have very hard times and lots of sand boggings. At that time of the year, the MaxTrax will be very helpful, especially if this is Warrens' first ever Simpson crossing. The sand will be very soft in May and if you have a look at the photos that Ruth has taken today, I need not say any more.

Cheers
Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 616395

Follow Up By: Krakka - Sunday, Feb 08, 2009 at 18:14

Sunday, Feb 08, 2009 at 18:14
Really a little over dramatised I think. We have crossed in April before and no dramas, As you say, let tyres down and be sensible. The biggest problem we had was Big Red heading east. Had to let tyres down to 8 psi, we were in a heavily loaded 100 series naturally aspirated diesel. Would definately take a shovel, we have max trax but would probably leave at home for a Simpson crossing. Unnecessary extra weight imo. Honestly I think parts of the Border Track 10 years ago were more challenging than the Simpson.
Regards
Krakka
FollowupID: 616415

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Feb 08, 2009 at 19:15

Sunday, Feb 08, 2009 at 19:15
Hi Krakka
Having travelled the Simpson many, many times, including remote Geosurvey Hill and the Geographical Centre of the Simpson, to usual Simpson tracks for us are a walk in the park. I still stand by my remarks, just look at Ruth's photos. No two Simpson Desert Crossings are the same, as wind direction will play the biggest part in the shape and nature of the dune crests.
As for being over dramatised, I am only giving sound advice for someone who has not made a crossing before, and any piece of recovery equipment that can get you quickly out of trouble is a bonus, and realy the MaxTrax are not heavy and the extra weight would be less that a slab of beer.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 616427

Follow Up By: Member - warren G (VIC) - Sunday, Feb 08, 2009 at 21:37

Sunday, Feb 08, 2009 at 21:37
the discussion is interesting .will be traveling with 4 blokes and i have a tray with under draws .we will be traveling light so have the space to pack some extra recovery gear if i get the feeling i might need it.will be posting some more questions as time gets closer for more opinions.the more info i recieve will be much spreciated cheers warren
FollowupID: 616455

Reply By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Sunday, Feb 08, 2009 at 19:06

Sunday, Feb 08, 2009 at 19:06
The biggest problem this year will be tackling Eyre Creek - all the water that is falling at Camooweal/Urandangi is heading south via the Georgina River which becomes Eyre Creek in the south. At the moment it is around Lake Muncoonie - it is the biggest volume of water seen for many many years. To give you a better idea on it - go back in the Posts and see LUCKOS Post with video footage a few days ago. The footage is excellent. In the past Eyre Creek (where we cross) can be 14 sand dunes wide with 14 water courses in between - there is no way to predict how wide low long or when at this stage. Have a look at the flood photos of Bedourie (which is completely surrounded by Eyre Creek).
In the past trips into the SD have been from the west, round trip and back out the same way - maybe that will happen again.
Remembering that the Diamantina water becomes the Warburton just south of Clifton Hills Station - we have 7.150m of water here in Birdsville - so that probably going to put the K1/Warburton Crossing out for a fair while.
Mother Nature is amazing - anything could happen - so don't stress yet about the trips, after all, making plans is part of the fun and watching your plans wrecked. Make Plan B,C & D etc. - just in case.
AnswerID: 348194

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Sunday, Feb 08, 2009 at 19:09

Sunday, Feb 08, 2009 at 19:09
I estimated last weekend that the flood in the Diamantina River is approximately 765 klms long - that's not bad (three floods in one), probably longer now 7 days have passed.
FollowupID: 616424

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Sunday, Feb 08, 2009 at 19:13

Sunday, Feb 08, 2009 at 19:13
The video footage of the Georgina is Post 65694.
FollowupID: 616426

Follow Up By: Member - warren G (VIC) - Sunday, Feb 08, 2009 at 21:40

Sunday, Feb 08, 2009 at 21:40
thanks for info i could not find the post from lucos i would love to see it cheers warren
FollowupID: 616458

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Sunday, Feb 08, 2009 at 21:53

Sunday, Feb 08, 2009 at 21:53
Warren, it's on page 5 of this Forum now - called Some Video of the Georgina. There is a link by Sir Kev on the Post NO. given above. I just checked it again.
FollowupID: 616466

Sponsored Links