over boost ZD30

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 08, 2009 at 12:17
ThreadID: 65800 Views:3692 Replies:2 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
well i just got back from Wollongong, and i think (after reading some threads on here) i am experiencing over boost.
it happened twice, both times on a hill. i would put the peddle down and lose all boost, until i release the peddle and reapply, then i would get full power.
also, the boost varies as i go through the rev range. comes on at 1500, full boost at 2000, 1/2 boost at 2700.

its driving me crazy because i know its doing it and the wife thinks im losing my mind,

i know you petrol turbos have adjustable boost valves on the vacuum line to the turbo. can i unplug the stupid electric controller its got and just have the manual one.

that way i would have the boost all the way from 1500 to red line (not that it has ever been to red line since i have owned it, but you get my point).
and if so, what would i set it too?? i have heard 15psi, 18psi, 10psi. but what would the max be before reliability comes into the equation
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: bob&loz - Sunday, Feb 08, 2009 at 12:32

Sunday, Feb 08, 2009 at 12:32
Go to
Patrol forum
and all will be revealed
Bob
AnswerID: 348141

Reply By: Member - Malcolm (Townsville) - Sunday, Feb 08, 2009 at 12:45

Sunday, Feb 08, 2009 at 12:45
Greg

What I would do is remove my intercooler and the big hoses all the way back to the air cleaner. Get some degreaser spray cans and give everything a good spary internally. Leave for a couple of minutes, then wash out with water. The MAF sensor (near the air cleaner) can be removed with a T20 security socket. Spray the internal wires with CRC MAF Sensor Cleaner (available at SuperCheap). Dry it all and reassemble. No technical skills required and should make a huge difference.

Image Could Not Be Found

Malcolm
living the 'good life'

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 348144

Follow Up By: Member - Greg T (ACT) - Sunday, Feb 08, 2009 at 15:00

Sunday, Feb 08, 2009 at 15:00
thanks, ill give that a go. would you spray in the intercooler as well, or just the pipes.

i also read on the patrol forum that if you have the aircleaner the wrongway you can over boost as well, and it turns out that it was around the wrong way.
but i will still give every thing a good clean.

FollowupID: 616372

Follow Up By: Member - Greg T (ACT) - Sunday, Feb 08, 2009 at 15:06

Sunday, Feb 08, 2009 at 15:06
i am stil very interested in putting the manual boost valve in, just to getrid of that anoying boost changes when you need it most.
FollowupID: 616373

Follow Up By: Member - Malcolm (Townsville) - Sunday, Feb 08, 2009 at 16:45

Sunday, Feb 08, 2009 at 16:45
Greg

yes do the IC as well.

In fact, since my last post I've now done my old 2003 as well.

The IC does collect a bit of oil as well. If you look inside your hoses you can actually see the oil on the walls as far forward as the MAF Sensor.

This time I also took some photos of the (small) amount of oil that does collect in there.

Even though the Patrol4x4 forum guys talk about the Dawes Valve to control boost, I would make SMALL adjustments, one at a time, testing to see how it goes after each one.

165mm of rain overnight and another 65mm so far today gave me something to do in the shed. :-)

Malcolm
living the 'good life'

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 616392

Follow Up By: Member - Greg T (ACT) - Sunday, Feb 08, 2009 at 16:55

Sunday, Feb 08, 2009 at 16:55
Thanks Malcolm,
mate im suprised you still have a shed. last time i heard, you guys were fightingoff the crocs in the water and where it wasnt wet you were fighting off the snakes. screwed both ways.

back to the troll..... thats good stinking soing it one at a time. ill wash it all out first.
FollowupID: 616397

Follow Up By: Member - Malcolm (Townsville) - Sunday, Feb 08, 2009 at 17:04

Sunday, Feb 08, 2009 at 17:04
Snakes. Posted about one yesterday. "anti theft device". He's now gone. I think. :-) No crocs, YET.

Walked down to the beach at 0830 to see the "King Tide". Took a couple of photos. They say tomorrow is going to be even bigger. May repeat the exercise.

Malcolm
living the 'good life'

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 616400

Sponsored Links