Tassie

Submitted: Monday, Feb 09, 2009 at 20:34
ThreadID: 65850 Views:2315 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Well the Missus and I are off to Tassie for 3 weeks.

We want to go to some more remote places away from the crowds. In the previous 3 trips we have already done the usual tourist places and we both like Tassie so much we are going back a fourth time.

Therefore we are looking for some places off the tourist track, we are self-sufficient and can look after ourselves, so we don't mind remote locations, rather prefer them!

This time we are drawing a parallel across from Strahan to the peninsula and are looking at all points north of there.

Any suggestions????

Cheers

Steve
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Baz&Pud (Tassie) - Tuesday, Feb 10, 2009 at 09:08

Tuesday, Feb 10, 2009 at 09:08
Steve,
Not knowing where you have been before on your previous visits to Tassie will suggest.
Get off the boat and turn right towards the West Coast, have a leisurely trip along the North West Coast to Black River (near Stanley), then to Arthur River on the West Coast, plenty of camping there, enjoy a boat trip up the Arthur River.
From here you can travel around Rebecca Road back to Smithton and head towards the North East Coast to areas such as Croppies Point, South Croppies Point, Tomahawk, Cape Portland then on to the East Coast to Mt William National Park which includes Stumpys Bay, Deep Creek and then down to Policemans Point, and further south The Bay of Fires.
Enjoy your trip especially in the North East (we love it)
Cheers
Baz
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 348421

Reply By: Member - Boo Boo (NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 10, 2009 at 10:31

Tuesday, Feb 10, 2009 at 10:31
Steve

My wife and I have been in Tassie for a bit over 2 weeks and it has been quite cool most of the time.

I would suggest you bring some cool weather gear with you.

We are in Nubeena at the moment and it is gone from cool to cold!

If you want a reaonably priced meal the best place is the RSL.

They also let self contained campers stay at the back of the RSL.

I think you can also use their showers.

Barefoot bowls are held on Tuesday nights at 5.00pm.

Might be a bit cold on the feet though. Maybe a tooheys old will help.

Regards BooBoo
AnswerID: 348436

Reply By: TassieD - Tuesday, Feb 10, 2009 at 10:37

Tuesday, Feb 10, 2009 at 10:37
This is the Forestry Tasmania guide. http://www.forestrytas.com.au/visiting/camping
There is also a free camp at Liffey Falls and many more outlined here. http://travellingtwo.com/resources/australia/tasmania/tasmaniafreecampingmap
AnswerID: 348437

Reply By: blue one - Tuesday, Feb 10, 2009 at 19:58

Tuesday, Feb 10, 2009 at 19:58
Thank you all very much.

The Missus and I are both looking forward to a trip on the Pot and 3 weeks in Tassie.

Cheers

Steve
AnswerID: 348504

Reply By: rager - Wednesday, Feb 11, 2009 at 20:09

Wednesday, Feb 11, 2009 at 20:09
Some of the better spots have been completely missed, I can offer local knowledge of Northeast Tassie and these are some better than average spots.

1) St Patricks River at Targa near Nunamara 1/2 hr from Launceston

2) Griffin Park Mathina (on the south Esk river, good base to see Mathinna falls, Evercreech giant trees etc)

3) Dry Caves at Caveside near Mole Creek. Go caving - the caves at your feet are 10 times more spectacular than the "pay" caves. No facilities but nice spot.

4) Scottsdale- Northeast park.

5) Belligham- campground by the river where it flows into the sea in this small shack town.

Theres plenty more but you only have 3 weeks!
AnswerID: 348631

Reply By: blue one - Saturday, Feb 14, 2009 at 12:11

Saturday, Feb 14, 2009 at 12:11
Thanks very much to all who replied.
AnswerID: 349016

Sponsored Links