EO members caught in fires??

Submitted: Monday, Feb 09, 2009 at 20:49
ThreadID: 65852 Views:2994 Replies:8 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All.. Does anyone know if we have any EO members who are residents of the fire affected areas?
And if so are they ok?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Monday, Feb 09, 2009 at 21:51

Monday, Feb 09, 2009 at 21:51
Hi Jo,

The devestation is widespread down here and I think it would be reasonable to assume that some of our EO friends will have been affected directly. Cetainly a lot more will be affected indirectly as the true extent of the devestation becomes apparent in the coming days and weeks. With so many homes and the supporting infrastructure gone, particularly phone, power and communications, it may well be some time before we know the full extent of the losses and it is certainly hard for any one affected to articulate that to others when they may well have lost everything.

I'm sure as more is known, the information will filter to us here and we will have the opportunity to rally support.

Mick.

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 348391

Follow Up By: Miss Jo - Toad Keeper - Monday, Feb 09, 2009 at 22:18

Monday, Feb 09, 2009 at 22:18
and as workers come in to help get people back on their feet, and emergency relief of food, money and clothing comes in.. then there will be the greedy buggers who have not repercussed from the fires in anyway, lining up and lying so they can get something for free.

Wisdom is definately needed in those that are to distribute what is required. And I pray there will be more than enough to go around and no one will be without what they need for that moment.

FollowupID: 616591

Follow Up By: nowimnumberone - Tuesday, Feb 10, 2009 at 07:31

Tuesday, Feb 10, 2009 at 07:31
funny you should say that i got so angry yesterday listening to the local bendigo radio station who were talking to people about the fires we had here
they were at a relief centre in eaglehawk and they spoke to a lady
they asked her how she went in the fire and she said they were lucky it stopped at our fence(it stopped at ours to)
and whats the forms your filling out
oh im just filling theese in for some financial relief
i got no time for people who take advantage at times like this
grrrrrrrrrrrrrr
maybe i should get some free money because our new fence is burnt(not burt down)and my grass is gone(it was dead anyway)
our whole house clothes etc smell like a camp fire(heres an idea we might wash the clothes )and close our eyes and pretend were camping
and all this goes on while people with real needs will get less than they need
cheers
FollowupID: 616614

Follow Up By: Miss Jo - Toad Keeper - Tuesday, Feb 10, 2009 at 09:51

Tuesday, Feb 10, 2009 at 09:51
And then because of $#^@@%$ like that, people who are genuine have to wait and wait and go through friggin paperwork constantly to prove they are in need.
FollowupID: 616626

Reply By: Member - John D, Wandong (Vic) - Monday, Feb 09, 2009 at 22:00

Monday, Feb 09, 2009 at 22:00
Hi Jo, I got caught up in the Kilmore E. fire, this is the one that ran through the Mt Disappointment Nat Park and on to Kinglake.
Had the car packed ready to move out if it started to threaten home, but when the wind changed in the arvo the CFA advised everyone that hadn't left to stay home as the exit roads were all on fire, so had to sit it out until Sunday morning.
No houses lost in Waterford Park, but the surrounding areas of Clonbinane & Wandong took a terrible beating.
I was a hell of lot luckier than people in other areas.

Cheers, John
Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found
AnswerID: 348393

Follow Up By: Miss Jo - Toad Keeper - Monday, Feb 09, 2009 at 22:12

Monday, Feb 09, 2009 at 22:12
Just too close for comfort hey!

Channel 9 (Brisbane) were doing a report tonight and Tracey Grimshaw was saying that she bought a rural property about 6 years ago, and the town at some point after they had bought the property had their fire meeting, what to do etc..
They were taught that should a fire come upon you, then stay inside and take shelter within your home..
Like she also said, they are going to have to rewrite the rule books now, many people may have made it out alive if they did take the chance to leave and not adhere to the advice of stay in your home.
It must be a terrifying experience.
Mark G was teaching me about fire and how it works last night. The closest I have been to fire is the camp fire, I have never had any encounter of the burning kind. So therefore I wasn't too knowledgeable about big fires and how they work and 'think'.
He described alot, but then gave me links to stuff on you tube, which made it much more understandable when I could see the visual of what he was explaining..
Damn scary!
FollowupID: 616589

Reply By: Member - res.q.guy (Vic.) - Tuesday, Feb 10, 2009 at 07:37

Tuesday, Feb 10, 2009 at 07:37
Hi All
I have been working at the fires around at Labertouche / Bunyip, back home now, for a while. Fire got within about 10 k of home, where the fire crossed the Princes hwy. One of the tankers in our strike team got "toasted" (no injuries). A few photo's below:-
Neil

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found
AnswerID: 348413

Reply By: Robin Miller - Tuesday, Feb 10, 2009 at 08:08

Tuesday, Feb 10, 2009 at 08:08
Hi Jo

The fire threat eased last night at our property (Yea-murrindindi fire complex).

Some of our friends not so lucky , still unable to contact 1 staff member from mountain lodge in Marysville which is real concern.

At friends last night, he feared his holiday house at Buxton was gone as they had only evacuated when flames got to next ridge.
Went back yesterday and fronted police lines south of Alex yesterday.
They said he couldn't go down (possible crime scene) to check on his place but said they would not physically stop him.
When he got there it was totally stuffed , years of work down the drain.

Still could have been worse.

I was thinking on when we left sunday one of the cars staked a tyre (lots of downed tree branches), and come to think of it the others we winched out.

We were prepared and plugged it quickly.
A simple hold up like that could easily get you caught.

All the 4wd stuff has been really worth it.

While some houses we saw burnt still had structual integrity others looked as though they were hit by slow moving explosion and any delay could be fatal.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 348414

Reply By: Redback - Tuesday, Feb 10, 2009 at 08:16

Tuesday, Feb 10, 2009 at 08:16
If you want to help, the Pajero Club and the Land Rover Club Vic are doing work to help out.

Baz.
AnswerID: 348415

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Feb 10, 2009 at 10:15

Tuesday, Feb 10, 2009 at 10:15
So are many many clubs.

3rd Rock www.3rdrock4x4.com
Victorian 4wd club http://www.vfwdc.com/welcome.html
Zook club http://www.vic.suzuki4wd.com/
Jeep club http://www.jeep.com.au/jeep_owners/jeep_clubs/index.html
Ontrackhttp://www.ontrack4x4.net.au/
and many more.

And theres something on this weekend arranged by James the 4WD Victoria Gembrook/Bunyip representative, with volunteers going out.

More info speak with James
http://www.outerlimits4x4.com/phpBB2/ftopic164691.php
FollowupID: 616629

Reply By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Tuesday, Feb 10, 2009 at 09:09

Tuesday, Feb 10, 2009 at 09:09
Good thought Jo.

At a friends place last night, and a few of us wondering what we could do. Obviously we can give to the charities for now, since the local support systems will hopefully kick in, and they will be able to help as they see fit.
Sending anything (goods) from Brisbane is really out of the question for now, as where to put it and how to transport it. It would just get in the way.

We were wondering about getting some families together at the local school, and seeing if we can get school support to support a school in Victoria that has had damage, or families that will need school stuff in a few weeks time once they start getting back to normal life again.

We had a fire at our local school a couple of years ago, and it is amazing the resources that are lost and insurance and the government will not replace.

If any Victiorians have any spare time at the moment, or can point us in the right direction, it would be appreciated.
AnswerID: 348423

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Feb 10, 2009 at 10:17

Tuesday, Feb 10, 2009 at 10:17
Diamond Jim and Tab out at Eaglehawk in Bendigo area were evacuated on the weekend but all ended up good. Although he needs new undies and back fence.

Few blokes on outers lost everything they owned. Some still dont know.

Apparently there were several members of the zook group past and present in Victoria that didnt make it out.

And with reports of Looters out there.. bring on the army. No mercy.
AnswerID: 348431

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Tuesday, Feb 10, 2009 at 19:30

Tuesday, Feb 10, 2009 at 19:30
Hi Jo - yes this has been my question to! Good to hear from those of you that are able to get online to hear you are ok. Fingers crossed for those we haven't heard from yet. Obviously for privacy reasons I cannot comment on who lives where. To be honest - most of these town names I have never heard of. I have been using Places etc however to view the areas on our maps... we all discussed today how Google earth will account for the new errors their system will present!
Michelle (MM)
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 348501

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Feb 10, 2009 at 21:47

Tuesday, Feb 10, 2009 at 21:47
Hi Michelle

My daughter has overlaid Google Earth with fire sentinel, and was looking up the addresses of her eBay customers last night, to email those in the fire areas to find out how they are. I think all of us will know someone who has suffered so terribly in these fires.

Perhaps a special blog or thread (to stay at the top) could be started, where Victorian members can say "I'm OK" when they get on line.

For many who have lost houses, it may be quite some time before they can get on line again, and even longer before they can come here to chat.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 616714

Sponsored Links