Strezlecki Track

We are heading over for WA next week from Toowoomba Qld and want to go via the Strezlecki, Marree, Coober Pedy, Uluru, Centre road etc,
with a troopy and 20ft Bushtracker van.
Has any beeen over the S lately, I see on the road reports it is OK,,
Am I right in thinking the Diamantina water doesn't get over to there?
We're newbies here at OE and this seems to be the place to ask these sort of questions
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Monday, Feb 09, 2009 at 22:20

Monday, Feb 09, 2009 at 22:20
John

Common misnomer people make. Its not the Strezlecki but the Strzelecki

ExplorOz site gives you up to date road reports so go HERE and have a look

Cheers
AnswerID: 348396

Follow Up By: Willem - Monday, Feb 09, 2009 at 22:40

Monday, Feb 09, 2009 at 22:40
PS The Diamantina does not flow in that direction but if you are coming to Innamincka via the Jackson Oil Field then you have to cross the Cooper. Not sure what the road conditions are like there personally as I haven't been that way for a while. I see it is Closed at the moment, however.
FollowupID: 616595

Reply By: Member - Old Girl (QLD) - Monday, Feb 09, 2009 at 22:31

Monday, Feb 09, 2009 at 22:31
John you have joined EO good move. We use this site a fair bit when planing our trips. You have the right set up enjoy. A bit unusually humid tonight in Twba.
Sharon
AnswerID: 348397

Reply By: Member - Richard H (NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 10, 2009 at 09:49

Tuesday, Feb 10, 2009 at 09:49
If you go west through Thargominda, you will cross Cooper's Creek by way of a one way bridge at Nappa Merrie. The road is formed gravel, but it was in good nick a month ago, as it is used by heavy vehicles servicing the oil & gas fields.

You can camp at Noccundra, there's a pub there and at the Cooper. I believe you need a S.A. Desert Parks Pass to camp on the Innaminka Common these days.

I found the road between Innaminka & Moomba a bit crook as the South Australia Government's grader was working at Mt. Gambier. They only own one, or at least you would think so by the state of their outback roads in the non-tourist season.

From Noccunrda to Lyndhurst the road is O.K., except that bit from Innminka to Moomba, providing you have dry weather.

AnswerID: 348427

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Tuesday, Feb 10, 2009 at 10:43

Tuesday, Feb 10, 2009 at 10:43
Unless I missed something in the mail, no Desert Parks Pass is required for the Innamincka common camping - the progress association do ask for a small donation though, which is entirely fair IMV. There are a few pics of commonly found Strzelecki track surfaces on my site (roads page) ...... may be of interest.
http://users.picknowl.com.au/~darian/
AnswerID: 348439

Sponsored Links