Victorian Fires - Loaning Trailers/Caravans/etc

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 10, 2009 at 10:08
ThreadID: 65858 Views:3050 Replies:7 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Good idea/dumb idea?

My boss has donated 2 caravans he and his brother have to people who are homeless, until they rebuild their lives.

This got me to thinkin, theres probably 1000 people on this forum and probably a few 10000 on all the forums, with camper trailers (me inc) that are sitting in the backyard currently being unused.

Been racking my brain trying to figure out a way to 'loan' it to homeless people from the fires, but being sure it comes home. I'm 99% sure that who ever you loaned it to would treat it like their own and would be over whelmed with the offer.

Also thinking where they could set them up...

Imagine the looks on these people faces if they had something to sleep in, instead of in the car for the next 6months.

Anyone got any suggestions?
Would you "loan/park it somewhere for someone to use" yours?
Would your current insurance cover you for damage if it happened?

Any thoughts?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Feb 10, 2009 at 10:55

Tuesday, Feb 10, 2009 at 10:55
57 views and not one reply + or - to the idea?

Yes some people have $60,000 campers, whcih I'd hesitate to loan to, but many people have nothing to their name.
AnswerID: 348440

Reply By: Member - Old Girl (QLD) - Tuesday, Feb 10, 2009 at 11:10

Tuesday, Feb 10, 2009 at 11:10
Was thinking the same. There is so much money raised that could be used to purchase vans for the people affected. Its ok to stay with friends and family for a while but some of these people will eventually want to rebuild. There isnt nothing left but their memories. Caravans with showers and toilets and generators so these people can live in them until their houses are rebuild.
Easy for me to say I guess im not there.
AnswerID: 348443

Reply By: Jeelan - Tuesday, Feb 10, 2009 at 11:58

Tuesday, Feb 10, 2009 at 11:58
hi mate

i understand where you're coming from however ,for most ppl a camper van or caravan represents a sizeable/significant investment and there are always going to be concerns if you will get it back undamaged etc.

At the moment, the best bet would be to let the govt worry about things like housing. It's a fairly long term thing and not something that can be sustained beyond a few weeks on donations etc from the general population. No doubt govt depts such as Defence will be asked to provide field kitchens and field accommodation if they are not doing so already.

Just as an aside...In the US after Katrina hit and the govt was criticised for being unprepared and slow to react etc, the US govt went all out and started providing mobile homes and caravans whilst they rebuilt New Orleans - to cut a long story short - in the end when they finally audited the total cost of their assistance package, it turned out that almost 20% of the aid package had gone towards acquiring this "temporary housing" and now they own about 160,000 RV vehicles and mobile housing units and dont know what to do with them.

just my two cents worth.

cheers
jeelan
AnswerID: 348446

Follow Up By: aeiou - Tuesday, Feb 10, 2009 at 12:49

Tuesday, Feb 10, 2009 at 12:49
"and now they own about 160,000 RV vehicles and mobile housing units and dont know what to do with them".

They could ship some over to Victoria!

FollowupID: 616646

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Feb 10, 2009 at 15:19

Tuesday, Feb 10, 2009 at 15:19
"however ,for most ppl a camper van or caravan represents a sizeable/significant investment and there are always going to be concerns if you will get it back undamaged etc."

Im sure
1) most vans would be insured.
2) I'm sure most of these people had a lot of money invested in houses, and lives, but as that bloke on the tele said he had his car, $2.00 in his pocket and the clothes he is wearing.
3) none of them are going to have a house for maybe years...

Doesnt have to be vans, can be a tent, and an airbed.

I agree with what someone else said, having a return date would be needed.

With most vans/campers/tents being laid up in driveways for 300days a yr, Im sure theres people that wont mind loaning

Im working with a chick from work that lives in Whittlesea.. she knows about 15 families that have nowhere to go... People should remember that as they sit down to the Plasma with a glass of red tonight..
FollowupID: 616663

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Feb 10, 2009 at 15:20

Tuesday, Feb 10, 2009 at 15:20
PS. people can also setup the trailer in their own yard and make the offer

YMMV
FollowupID: 616664

Reply By: Anthony (Vic) - Tuesday, Feb 10, 2009 at 14:11

Tuesday, Feb 10, 2009 at 14:11
I was pondering the same thoughts yesterday. I have a camper trail not in use and people who have lost everything.

I am thinking that such an offer could not be made with a time limit on when to return it to the loaner. Meaning that the people who are offered the use of a caravan or camper trailer would need to keep it until they have at least partly rebuilt their home.

I will donate cash via Red Cross etc. While my heart would like to offer the use of my camper trailer, it is likely to be more effective for the donation funds to hopefully provide the people in need with the resources they need.
AnswerID: 348464

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Feb 10, 2009 at 15:15

Tuesday, Feb 10, 2009 at 15:15
The toll-free Victorian Bushfire Accommodation Donation Line number is 1800 006 468 and there are 40 lines with operators on standby from 8am to 8pm.

Housing Minister, Richard Wynne said any accommodation was appreciated "be it a spare room, a whole house, holiday home or caravan for the temporary use of those left homeless by these devastating fires".
FollowupID: 616662

Follow Up By: Anthony (Vic) - Tuesday, Feb 10, 2009 at 17:27

Tuesday, Feb 10, 2009 at 17:27
I have tried many times to get through on the 1800 006 468 and will keep trying.
FollowupID: 616674

Reply By: Scubaroo - Tuesday, Feb 10, 2009 at 16:10

Tuesday, Feb 10, 2009 at 16:10
Looks like Truckster has already posted details, but there is a donation hotline set up if you can spare the use of a caravan (or spare room/empty house etc). See The Age article for more details:

Emergency accommodation hotline for bushfire homeless

Office of Housing
AnswerID: 348477

Reply By: Flywest - Tuesday, Feb 10, 2009 at 16:19

Tuesday, Feb 10, 2009 at 16:19
Maybe if the Power could be restored to a lot of the properties by the electricity corporation - with just a pole & meter & single phase power outlets, and the water still works....the loaned caravans etc, could be parked on peoples own property to allow them to clean up the mess and slowly start the process of restoring their lives!

I'd suggest that anyone who wants to do it tows their vans into the closest afected area and try to find a property owner to make the offer too!

A LOT of these people are going to have no cars!

Cheers

AnswerID: 348478

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Thoughtfully- Tuesday, Feb 10, 2009 at 20:03

Tuesday, Feb 10, 2009 at 20:03
I suggest that noone tows their vans anywhere near the affected areas. Shann you say you have some qualification as a firefighter or some such claim but this comment makes it clear you dont understand the things that those managing the infrastructure in these places have to deal with.

Electricity? its been supplied back to part of Kinglake now via a generator, but the total infrastructure solution is a huge logistical challenge yet this fact seems to have escaped you.

Access to this whole area s being closely controlled and what you are suggesting is ludicrous. Please dont bother to make any more mindless suggestions.
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 616683

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Thoughtfully- Tuesday, Feb 10, 2009 at 20:06

Tuesday, Feb 10, 2009 at 20:06
T-Man its a great idea I reckon. The red cross I think is coordinating housing and I think they would love some assistance. If its not them they could put you onto the right people.
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 348506

Sponsored Links