building home made canvass canopy on tray back

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 10, 2009 at 18:17
ThreadID: 65870 Views:2281 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
hello all,
my 2nd visit and is my favourite travel site.
i read a thread last week about some one wanting to glue canvass to velcrose and canvass as they were in rush to leave on trip and were to get it sewn later.[couldnt find the same thread]
i am trying to do the same job as noone is really interested in useing the canvass i have .[i understand there must be technical details involved] as age and monetary gain,which is quite understandable i might add.
well i read some fellow suggested liquid nails,silicone or white glue.[in a thread last week]
well i have stumbled onto a product which seem to be the ducks n#ts.
tried liquid nails and all purpose silicone and white glue to no avail even after 2 days drying.GET THIS,i bought a tube of sellies[spelt this way as not to breach any legalities] all clear, no smell,mildew and mould and water resistant,$7.85 per tube and after 4 hours was very difficult to seperate.[weather was 24 and o/cast]
on the tube says max toughness acheived over a few days.
if it grips 20% better i am going with it and use on my canvass and just hand sew corners and ends.
please note ,my canvass was stored and has dust etc on the surface so a light rub with a fine sand paper will give max grip.
i hope this info is helpfull,i wont be stoned for any failures as have yet to hurtle down the highway with eyes glued to rearviews ready to hit the skids if the sail goes up !!!
being short of a dollar,i am quite exited of the out come in a few days.
after weeks on the net and no real leads on glues only THREADS, ha ha ,really to STITCH it i mean,i am quietly confident and i hope to be successfull.
sicaflex has a product at 17 bucks may be the next step if i have to crawl out of a hole and another at 28 bucks.
we will see !!!!
will keep any interested fellow canvasseers posted.
regards roger p

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: roger p - Wednesday, Feb 11, 2009 at 09:56

Wednesday, Feb 11, 2009 at 09:56
info re; glueing canvass to canvass,thread 65870

hello all,
i have the information on the testing i have completed on silicones to glue canvass to itself.
all purpose silicone approx. 7 bucks per tube was pulled apart quite easily.
sellies ALL CLEAR was stuck fast,no way i could seperate the canvass using fingers ,thats approx. 19hrs of setting when on the tube states max strength acheived in a few days.better still.
my canopy is going to be fully glued using all clear.
i hope this information can be of help to others and may be used for other canvass applicatons.
results from testing on road and photos of 6 months travelling across nth aus. will be posted this coming november.
regards roger p

AnswerID: 348561

Reply By: Best Off Road - Wednesday, Feb 11, 2009 at 10:13

Wednesday, Feb 11, 2009 at 10:13
Thanks for the excellent tip Roger, it is something I will use.

Also thanks for putting something back into the forum.

Regards,

Jim.

AnswerID: 348563

Sponsored Links