PLEASE READ THIS 2.

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 11, 2009 at 17:35
ThreadID: 65896 Views:3392 Replies:4 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Follow up from previous thread. 65892
So far Have spoken with 6pr and 94.5 radio stations the Perth Mint and WAPolice Media section. The Perth Mint are quite prepared to accept Plain Gold or Silver jewellry with no stones, which will be weighed and receipts issued free of charge. The person I spoke to there said that the people that melted it down was a subsidiary of them and she was confident that no charges would be involved in the melting/processing part.
How to get it there.
Perth Mint shop manager Kathy Anza will make it happen there, its OK to just take it in. Receipts weights everything above board.
Am hoping that WA Police will be able to accept items at Police stations accross the State, I have spoken with a couple of different departments and the Media section will hopefully be able to put something together so that people are able to take items in to Police Stations around the State.
How to get people involved.
Have spoken with 2 radio Stations and Emailed Channel 7 Sunrise program with the idea, the radio stations seem very keen to talk about it further, only just emailed Sunrise. Exposure is what it needs as there would be hundreds if not thousasnds of people around the country with broken/worthless? Gold and Silver trinkets lying around the place, that individually aren't worth much but collectively can make a difference.
SO HOW ABOUT IT talk to people about it, rattle some cages, forward first thread on to all in your address book, all feedback on the phone so far has been very positive and do-able. Get stuck in and tell 2 friends. Cheers, Kanga1.
Will keep you up to speed as things move on, thanks for reading this.
Tempus Fugit

Kanga.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Wednesday, Feb 11, 2009 at 17:40

Wednesday, Feb 11, 2009 at 17:40
Why could you not add this as a reply to your first post on this topic rather than start a new thread??

Cheers Kev

Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 348611

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Wednesday, Feb 11, 2009 at 17:45

Wednesday, Feb 11, 2009 at 17:45
I have no effin idea what this thread is about?????????????
FollowupID: 616811

Follow Up By: Kanga1 - Wednesday, Feb 11, 2009 at 18:22

Wednesday, Feb 11, 2009 at 18:22
Cheers Kev, to be honest it never crossed my mind at the time.
I'm hoping to keep the other thread clear of anything other than constructive suggestions on how to get it rolling/add to it, and maybe use this one for kicking around ideas.
Latest from the Police is they really are not able to accept anything of this nature in Stations, they suggested the Attorney Generals Office in the Eastern Suburbs, will call them in morning as they are shut now, hopefully the nations Courthouses? will be able to receive items, will keep you posted. Failing that I'm thinking Justices of the Peace, any ideas appreciated? If anyone is able to give this a bit of a nudge in other States, stick your hand up, we can help clear the Country of broken/not wanted Gold and Silver jewllery etc for worthwhile reason. Latest from the Perth Mint is the proceeds will be sent to the Red Cross, I am trying to keep this Fundraiser free of any dilutions.
Cheers, Kanga1
Tempus Fugit

Kanga.

FollowupID: 616819

Follow Up By: Shaker - Wednesday, Feb 11, 2009 at 19:15

Wednesday, Feb 11, 2009 at 19:15
For some reason a lot of people keep starting new threads as a continuation of a subject.
Unfortunately it then loses all relevance & continuity, admin should discourage it.
FollowupID: 616828

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Wednesday, Feb 11, 2009 at 19:57

Wednesday, Feb 11, 2009 at 19:57
Shaker,

There is now about 15 threads that relate to the fires. Each and every thread has been created by someone who thinks they have a new idea or opinion, when they all are about the same thing.

I agree that what has occured in the past week is unfortunate but how many more threads do we have to create that revolve around this issue.

I come to EO to get away from the doom and gloom of the world. At the moment the majority of threads are only about the devastation in Vic.

I think the EO admin are in between a rock and a hard place as to how to discourage the continual creation of new posts as it is such a emotional topic.

IMHO they can't please everyone but at the moment I feel like not opening EO as it seems that is all is discussed on here, which is not what this site is about.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 616834

Follow Up By: Dave... Adelaide (SA) - Wednesday, Feb 11, 2009 at 22:05

Wednesday, Feb 11, 2009 at 22:05
G'day Kev

Dont get me wrong here mate , but l can remember not so long ago just about every second post that was opened on here had something to do with you having a friendly dig at Kiwi, sometimes mate it got beyond the joke so much so that lots of people started having a bit of a bitch about it....hey l was guilty of the idle chit chat as well, as were a few others...so really l cant see what's so wrong about people starting up their own post when they feel the need to vent a little, obviously this disaster has affected lots of people in different ways and if getting on here starting a new post makes them feel better , then so be it.

No im not trying to start a shootin match with ya....lol
FollowupID: 616871

Follow Up By: Kroozer - Thursday, Feb 12, 2009 at 03:54

Thursday, Feb 12, 2009 at 03:54
Good on ya Kanga1. As for Kev and Darkie, if you dont like it dont open it. Isnt that the good old Exploroz saying? And yes i am sick of the idle chit chat between people who know each other. Use the phone for that, and leave the site for expressing ideas and helping others out.

No matter what the subject of a thread is about, you will always get someone to have a whinge. In this case, i honestly cant believe how anyone could get there panties in a knot, over posting another thread to try and help fellow Australians out. Really that is disgusting and thoughtless, really really selfish. This site isnt all about what you want.
FollowupID: 616907

Follow Up By: Shaker - Thursday, Feb 12, 2009 at 08:46

Thursday, Feb 12, 2009 at 08:46
I think the point that was bring made was that this is the second thread by the same person on the same subject.
It makes it hard for those that missed the first thread to understand what it is all about.

Nobody would be critical of the subject matter or the attempts of the OP to assist others in their time of dire need.
FollowupID: 616919

Follow Up By: Kanga1 - Thursday, Feb 12, 2009 at 11:31

Thursday, Feb 12, 2009 at 11:31
Thanks for all the feedback on this subject guys, I wasn't aware of the politics re starting up extra threads on the same subject and apologise for that, it must make it hard for folk to follow a subject with new threads popping up all the time on the same thing, lesson learned. The intention was never to keep bringing up all the bad things regarding what has happened in the East, but to try and increase awareness that people who are maybe unable to give cash,( lots of people just lost their jobs here in the West, Plant closures and cut-backs). It was only to point out that instead of feeling helpless, there are things around the place that are of no use or real value, that could be gathered up, and collectively make a bit of a difference.
At the moment there is a bulk rubbish pick up where I live, I'm sure some of this stuff is still servicable, ( I've never seen so many TV sets) I keep moving one around in the shed that still works. It's going down to Cash Convertors today, might get $20 for it, that's nearly 4 bales of hay, smoko for some Cows in the East!

Rang the Attorney Generals people in the East regarding possibility of people being able to take broken Gold/Silver jewelry donations to Regional Court Houses. Bottom line is, they are unable to help, security/logistics blah blah.
Anyhow, the simplist solution would be this.
If anyone feels they can do this. Take gear to a Jeweller/Cashies sell it for cash, send the cash to the Charity of your choice or keep it yourself, your choice.
Do everyone a favour and have a look around.
Cheers, Kanga1.
Tempus Fugit

Kanga.

FollowupID: 616937

Reply By: Member - Willie , Sydney. - Wednesday, Feb 11, 2009 at 17:53

Wednesday, Feb 11, 2009 at 17:53
I commend you for your good intentions, but I think this is just making an easy job difficult - very difficult.

I think they are going to end up with such a big amount of money anyway, that the problem will be not that they have not got enough, but how to distribute it quickly and equitably to the people in most need.

Willie
AnswerID: 348614

Follow Up By: Kanga1 - Wednesday, Feb 11, 2009 at 18:35

Wednesday, Feb 11, 2009 at 18:35
Willie, I see where you are coming from, immediate aid is needed, but the long term effects will be not just rebuilding buildings but rebuilding people too. The traumas experienced by the people who were immediately affected must be horrendous, also the people who involved in rescue/recovery of victims bodies human and livestock/wildlife will see people/animals affected for a long time yet, physically/emotionally and financially. As I said at the start, this is just an idea, it may live on, people are still going to keep breaking necklaces and losing half a set of earrings etc, and sadly we will continue to have disasters, maybe a bit negative and idealistic, but lets see if we can do something about the here and now. Cheers Kanga1
Tempus Fugit

Kanga.

FollowupID: 616821

Follow Up By: Member - Dennis P (Scotland) - Thursday, Feb 12, 2009 at 02:39

Thursday, Feb 12, 2009 at 02:39
Kanga1,
I admire your enthusiasm.
We are all doing our bit whether it be collecting cans/bottles or whatever to fund our donations.
Your idea is just one way to raise funds.

FollowupID: 616906

Reply By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Wednesday, Feb 11, 2009 at 22:03

Wednesday, Feb 11, 2009 at 22:03
The logistics of organising some thing like what you suggest is very
messy, Cash Donations are best, I heard that the Clothing and other
Material goods are starting to jam up the works all ready, let the
experts and the Government Agencies handle it, there will be
plenty of time in the future to help out after things settle down.

Cheers
Daza
AnswerID: 348651

Reply By: DIO - Thursday, Feb 12, 2009 at 09:24

Thursday, Feb 12, 2009 at 09:24
Remember K.I.S.S. - best donations are cash to approved (accreditied) agencies - such as Red Cross. Their web site Red Cross Australia
AnswerID: 348690

Sponsored Links