Robbed again

Submitted: Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 12:16
ThreadID: 65936 Views:4175 Replies:13 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
Went out to car this morning and found the contents scatted everywhere. Luckily all the valuables such as tools etc were locked in the rear _Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx (although they did get my favourite bush knife).

In this case it was my own fault. I didn’t notice the driver’s side door wasn’t fully closed when I pressed the electronic button.

I use to dead lock the car, and will go back to that method once again to ensure the car is secure.

PS Any recommendation for a good quality knife (three inch blade).

Regards

Kim
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Lionel A (WA) - Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 13:01

Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 13:01
Why is it your fault mate.

The scum bags came onto your property, broke into your vehicle and stole some of your gear.

I'd probably put all the blame on them.

Had it done to me once, parked and locked, well up our drive beside the bedroom window, 2 dogs within metres of the car.
They got away with tools, recovery gear and 2 handheld uhfs.

Small town, long memory, I will have my day.

Cheers.....Lionel.
AnswerID: 348849

Reply By: Member - Bushpig - Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 13:12

Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 13:12
Same thing for me. Went fishing and came home with some fish. My misses was so happy that I actually caught something that we had dinner as a reward and i was sooo looking forward to dessert that I forgot to check if the car was locked. Next morning found my Hilux trashed. I did not have anything valuable except my Navman. They took that but left the recharging cord. What the ..? Then because they got nothing they ripped out my battery monitor. Scum bags hardly describes the low life.

Just because we as humans fail once or twice to double check everything it is no excuse to be preyed upon.

Not your fault.
Cheers Jack
AnswerID: 348852

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 13:57

Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 13:57
A Navman eh........oh well they didn't get much worth anything then.... cough.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 617105

Follow Up By: get outmore - Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 16:30

Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 16:30
wouldnt be so condacending WH

my garmin lasted barely a few days before crapping itself and loosing its maps
FollowupID: 617126

Follow Up By: get outmore - Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 16:30

Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 16:30
sorry I ment DT
FollowupID: 617127

Reply By: Jeelan - Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 13:43

Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 13:43
hi Kim

sorry to hear about the break-in. thank fully none of your valuables went missing.

RE your favourite bushknife...i've been using a Fallkniven F11 blade for about 8yrs and found their knives to be of brilliant quality.

they're a swedish company and they use an awesome steel which only ever needs a touch up on a leather strop to become razor sharp again.

I used one of their larger blades when i was in the ADF for a number of years and now use the F1 when i'm bushwalking etc....i bought both as blades only and made my own handles to give the knives a personal touch. i think the dealer is QLD based..

cheers
Jeelan

AnswerID: 348857

Follow Up By: Kim and Damn Dog - Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 14:31

Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 14:31
Thanks Jeelan

A friend of mine has the Fallkniven U2 and constantly boasts about its quality. Problem is, if I purchased one, I'd never hear the the end of it.

Regards

Kim
FollowupID: 617110

Reply By: Member - Axle - Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 15:00

Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 15:00
The other way to look at it Kim is in one sense you might have been lucky!!, The vehicle was still there.

Cheers Axle.
AnswerID: 348867

Reply By: Ozboc - Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 15:18

Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 15:18
well be happy that they used your door to gain access -- a few years back i had my car broken into - they broke the small rear quarter glass in the door

They got about $3.20 in small change and one copied cd -- it cost me $170 for a second hand glass replacement.....

Boc
AnswerID: 348869

Follow Up By: Member - Patrol Geoff (QLD) - Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 00:08

Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 00:08
Ditto. Had someone throw a brick through the rear quarter glass last month in Adelaide. Only they tried it on one side and failed (scratched up the glass though) then tried the other side and missed a few times (hit the metal frames on both sides of the window and scratched the door panel.

They trashed the inside, but didn't end up taking anything (no money there).

Could have been much worse. I'd taken most stuff out, but carelessly left the satphone there. Not sure if they were only after money, or they thought it was such a clunker of a mobile phone that it wasn't worth it. Either way we didn't "lose' anything other than two daiys to get it repaired and $500 insurance excess for the $1800 worth of repairs (and don't get me started on what they seem to charge for insurance jobs).

-geoff
FollowupID: 617334

Follow Up By: Ozboc - Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 06:21

Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 06:21
HI Geoff , its almost a matter of leaving your car unlocked to allow them access without breaking stuff, because if they want access - they will do it any way they want .....

But a little tip for people that park in dodgey places such as train stations - i used to get broken into at least once a month and they always went through the glove box and center console. I then would leave those open when i parked somewhere with NOTHING in them so that it was clearly visible from the outside makes sure there is also nothing under your seats that can also be seen - never got hit again .....

Boc
FollowupID: 617340

Reply By: Moose - Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 15:32

Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 15:32
G'day Kim
Pricks!
Re knife - go onto www.australianhunting.net and ask in the knife section of the forum.
But if the old one was your favourite why not replace with same? Out of production maybe.
Cheers from the Moose
AnswerID: 348876

Reply By: Member - Porl - Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 16:09

Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 16:09
There appears to be a special on the F1 here, no association, was just trying to find out who sells them in Aust and a price.

http://www.jpt-australia.com/knives_misc.htm
AnswerID: 348885

Follow Up By: Jeelan - Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 17:53

Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 17:53
when i bought them they were being sold by a guy called Anthony Baldichino from The Finer Edge.

his number is 03 9752 9736

cheers
Jeelan
FollowupID: 617136

Reply By: Member - Jaap C (QLD) - Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 16:47

Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 16:47
Kim
You need to stop feeding the dog so well
AnswerID: 348890

Follow Up By: Kim and Damn Dog - Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 18:11

Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 18:11
Jeep

Your right.....never thought of that.

No more food for her until she gets back to guard duty.

Regards

Kim
FollowupID: 617140

Reply By: Steve - Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 17:33

Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 17:33
I got the treatment a few months back. Came home, Friday night. Just finished a job and parked the car on the drive and started to unload. Phone went - had to answer it. Finished the call and sat down to with beer and family. Next morinig, realised I'd left it unlocked. Tom Tom went and wallet with nearly $900 cash and a couple of fuel cards. After the distraction of the phone call, thought I'd finished unloading etc

I know who it is and I'll wait until the little scumbag has worked enough to save up for his own car.

I usualy have some brake fluid around.
AnswerID: 348895

Reply By: Member - Paul Mac (VIC) - Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 20:27

Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 20:27
G'day Kim,

I'd pop up to cash converters just near where you work in a couple of days and you never know, it might be on the shelf waiting for you to buy it AGAIN.

Even better, if you can recognise it get the police there and reclaim it. I'd like to see that cash converters place closed down with all the darn stolen property they have in there.

Cheers.
AnswerID: 348923

Reply By: Bushed-Tracker - Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 21:46

Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 21:46
Left old old farm Suzi in town one day with a flat battery - following morning found it had been rifled through but nothing of any value missing (the whole unit was worth bugger all - LOL)

That afternoon I took it back to town parked it in another section of the same supermarket carpark. This time, in the glovebox - lightly disguised with some tissues was a very strong and well rusted rat trap - fully loaded.

The following morning - rat trap gone and signs of blood on the seat and door sill.

Good result for an old rat trap - next time it might be a King Brown!

B-T
AnswerID: 348940

Follow Up By: Gramps - Saturday, Feb 14, 2009 at 09:29

Saturday, Feb 14, 2009 at 09:29
ROFLMAO I like your style

FollowupID: 617200

Follow Up By: Member - Paul C (WA) - Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 01:30

Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 01:30
Did the same thing a few years ago when someone was breaking into clothes lockers at work. Bought one of those grey oversize ones and left it my locker with a five cent piece on it.
Next morning locker door bent and no rat trap!
The five cent piece was only to let the scumbag think for the rest of his life "Was it worth smashing my hand for 5c"
FollowupID: 617338

Follow Up By: Miss Jo - Toad Keeper - Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 11:50

Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 11:50
Love it!!!!!!!!!!!
FollowupID: 617384

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Thoughtfully- Saturday, Feb 14, 2009 at 09:22

Saturday, Feb 14, 2009 at 09:22
No good Kim, the feeling of violation is hard to shake.

New knife? I have a couple of Leatherman's (Leathermen?) and several Victorinox Swiss army knives, one even bought in Switzerland, but somehow the voices in my head are saying:

BUY A LEATHERMAN SKELETOOL CX...

My wife says don't listen to the voices, so I am practising by not listening to hers for a start.

All the best
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 348983

Reply By: Mick15 - Saturday, Feb 14, 2009 at 10:33

Saturday, Feb 14, 2009 at 10:33
Spyderco would be my pick, ive got a few now, i prefer plain edge over serrated edge for most applications - although a serrated edge will remain sharp for longer - its also a lot harder to sharpen.
My current favourite is the Caly3 plain edge, they do make one with a carbon handle and laminate blade (zdp189/420j2) but thats pretty spensive!
The caly is a full flat grind so while it is a great slicer, for extreme use you may be better off with a bevel grind like the native.
I really cant speak highly enough of these things, they clip inside your pocket and can be pulled out and opened and closed one handed, and the build quality is great.

Spyderco Caly
Spyderco Native 3

You can get them at a reasonable price off ebay.com - just make sure they post to AU

Another good one is the delica which also has a fully rustproof version called the salt - they are really strong and the delica is pretty well priced - ive got a serrated edge salt (and have very large hands)
Spyderco Salt 1
Spyderco Delica 4

Theres dozens of variations as you'll see on the website, personally whatever knife you get i'd recommend a frn (fibreglass reinforced nylon) or a G10 handle as they can take a beating, are grippy with wet greasy hands (i work in a food factory and often have veggie fat on my hands) and don't transfer heat or cold.
Stainless on the other hand is slippery, scratches and gets hold and cold - can look nice though.
Another good material is linen micarta - a bit dearer and often used on fixed blades.
Probably bored you to death now!!!
AnswerID: 348998

Sponsored Links