Following from Caravaning 2 axle / 4 wheels

Submitted: Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 13:39
ThreadID: 65938 Views:2256 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi ET ALL
Following on from my previous thread . We recently up graded our caravan to a 2 Axle caravan . The service manager advised us to have a extra 4 psi in the trailing tyres. Has anybody out there ever heard of this.
Thanks again for the help
Life MEMBER snailbait Oberon HF RADIO CLUB VKE237 mobile 7661

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Notso - Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 15:05

Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 15:05
Nope, never heard of it!

Can't think of any good reason for it, but he may have a good reason, ask him!
AnswerID: 348868

Reply By: Member - Teege (NSW) - Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 16:28

Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 16:28
snailbait
Sounds to me like he might be a bit concerned about your ball weight. By raising the rear slightly he is putting more weight forward. I can't see that 4psi would make a huge difference but it brought to mind the rorts that some of the grain truck drivers used to pull with airbags under their loads and pumping them up/letting them down as they went over the scales.

teege
AnswerID: 348888

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 17:59

Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 17:59
You have not told us much. What is the van?

Just a wild guess. I notice you are towing with a Prado. What type of WDH are you using? If you are not using the Hayman Reese system but using the goose neck that came with your Prado, your ball may be too high for your vans chassis to be parallel with the van. If your van does not have weight sharing suspension then the rear wheels will be carrying significantly more weight than the front - hence the recommendation for extra air in the rear tyres.

I have noticed quite a few vans travelling along the road that are nose high. In nearly every case they are towed by a 4WD without WDH or the WDH is only the shepherds crook type (and are far too light for the van being towed.) A considerable portion of these vans have independent suspension that is not load sharing (ie they do not have Simplicity suspension.) Those vans will have a lot much more weight on their rear suspension and I wonder if some of them have overloaded rear tires.

PeterD
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 348905

Follow Up By: snailbait (Blue mntns) - Saturday, Feb 14, 2009 at 09:23

Saturday, Feb 14, 2009 at 09:23
Nomadic Navara
hi
Using a WDH from HR, It has a weight s Rocker system from ALKO with shocks , I should have changed the photo the van photo is in my profile . I am new with a two axle van, the van is level when being towed

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 617198

Follow Up By: snailbait (Blue mntns) - Saturday, Feb 14, 2009 at 09:25

Saturday, Feb 14, 2009 at 09:25
PS
I have Tregg coupling on the HR WDH

thanks for replying
Terry

Lifetime Member