Balladonia to Israelite bay then to Esperance??

Submitted: Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 16:04
ThreadID: 65943 Views:8642 Replies:8 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guys,
Can anyone travelled this 4x4 track lately. We are heading to Denmark in November for a wedding and thought we might detour from Balladonia to Israelite Bay and then onto Esperance. My son and I will be on our own in a 96 Gq patrol and towing a Coramal 380 off roader wined up camper.
Is this track ok to tow a camper through and is there a camping area at Israelite Bay??
thanks for any advice you may offer.
cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: get outmore - Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 16:16

Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 16:16
havnt done it for a while
- but this should give you some idea

balladonia to cape arid

from memory after Mt ragged the track has limestone outcrops making it fairly rough but not extreme you just need to travle slowly.

Nothing at israilite as far as camping gos although theres nothing stopping you

pt malcolm is much nicer but theres only 2 camping spots - not that too many people make it out there.

there is a sheltered bay near the campsites and by going up the sandhill there is a backbeach which can be tricky to find as there is no defined track through the dunes.

the telegraph track can be followed to poison creek but you need to check conditions with esperance DEC as rain can make it a tricky proposition although first time i did it it was pretty wet
AnswerID: 348886

Reply By: Rod, Sydney - Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 16:22

Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 16:22
Hi. I travelled on part of this road over xmas.

The "main" road south from Balladonia to the Israelite Bay turnoff is one of the worst roads we have travelled on - very corrugated with limestone ridges and bulldust holes. If you find my sheared-off number plate let me know!

I thought the minor road was a little better (we went as far as Mt Ragged) but you need to slow down as they are not well maintained - some scratches, plenty of holes and fallen trees. Don't go near it if it's wet.

It's a long slow drive down to Israelite Bay - rocky portions, salt flats and sand tracks.Bush camping only but a very attractive place. The bays between Israelite Bay and Esperance and then through to Albany are some of the best in Australia - facilities range from caravan parks to bush camping.

Cheers
Rod, Perth

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 348887

Reply By: Member - Tony B (Malanda FNQ) - Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 17:24

Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 17:24
As stated above the track is rough and is slow going. We enjoyed the trip though. A climb to the top of the mountain well worth the effort. We camped along the track but there is a camp area at the base of the mountain.

Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found

You would have to take it easy as you will get a shake up. Cheers Tony
AnswerID: 348893

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 19:21

Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 19:21
Towed a boat through there behind the OKA (in the reverse direction) 2 years ago.
The pics above tell the tale. Some sand too on the coast, but no dramas. Couple of spots would be sticky if it was wet.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
AnswerID: 348917

Reply By: caddz - Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 21:52

Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 21:52
Patrolman, came up from Cape Arid (Seal Creek- top camp spot!) to Balladonia last October, intention was to go via Isralelite Bay to Balladonia but track was very rough & wet. Took the "short cut", not much different, sandy, bog holes, rocky sections thru to Mt Ragged. Not much better after that either. We had Tvan on behind LC,air down & take it easy & you will be OK. 8+ hours for that section with lunch stop at Mt Ragged.

Enjoy, Daryl
AnswerID: 348942

Reply By: Member - Cookie & Di - Saturday, Feb 14, 2009 at 00:26

Saturday, Feb 14, 2009 at 00:26
We went from Esperance to Israelite Bay a couple of days ago. Slow drive, very corragated in parts & boogy mud/sand areas but worth the drive. There are plenty of camping spots at Israelite Bay. The road from Balladonia to Israelite Bay is closed at the moment but check with CALM before you go, have heard it's extremley rough & a slow drive.
AnswerID: 348956

Reply By: Member - joc45 (WA) - Saturday, Feb 14, 2009 at 01:10

Saturday, Feb 14, 2009 at 01:10
Was through there in Nov/Dec, and it was a bit wet. Another member was thru about 3 weeks later and it was fine. It is rough though. South of Balladonia, check out the old stations of Balbinia and Duralinya and camp at either. Good campsite at the base of Mt Ragged, tho no water (climb Mt Ragged is a must). Suggest you go to Israelite Bay for a look at the historic telegraph station, but camp at Pt Malcolm, about 20km south of Israelite. Much better spot, sheltered and there is some good shade. Also good fresh water from a bore in the dunes there.
Have quite a bit of info if you want; drop me a line on
gezza90 at amnet dot net dot au
cheers
Gerry
AnswerID: 348958

Reply By: Member - Ed. C. (QLD) - Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 00:04

Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 00:04
Just side-trackin' a little,
Those who have an interest in this area, and have not already done so, may wish to acquire and read a copy of the book

Challenge in Isolation
written by John R Bridges..

A very interesting read indeed IMO,
SWMBO purchased ours direct from the author (contact details shown in the link)..

No affiliation, yada,yada...............

Regards, Ed C

Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 349098

Sponsored Links