Yorke Peninsula trip

Submitted: Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 17:09
ThreadID: 65944 Views:2342 Replies:5 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, we are doing a trip into south Australia and planning one week on the Yorke Peninsula.we were thinking of staying in two places ( three nights in each) could anybody recommend central places to stay to explore (caravan parks) as much as possible. Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Skippy In The GU - Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 17:24

Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 17:24
Point Turton Caravan Park is a great place to stay at the bottom end and I would also recommend Port Hughes Caravan park for the Top end
AnswerID: 348892

Reply By: Member - Kingsley N (SA) - Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 17:50

Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 17:50
Julio,

I agree with Skippy. Port Hughes is right on the coast. You hang the van out over the beach. It can be a bit breezy in the exposed sites, but you can usually work something out with the sites. It is fairly central to the historic Moonta area as well as the larger Kadina township. Check the web for museum opening times though.
Point Turton is cosy and tucked away in what looks like an old quarry, but nice and sheltered from westerly winds. It is an easy base for day trips along the rugged southern and western parts of the foot. Make sure you check out Innes National Park Corny Point and Ethel Beach. We like Edithburgh and all the little ports along the eastern coastline too.

Sometimes it is necessary to shift camp from one side of the peninsula to the other if it is windy.

Enjoy SA

Kingo
AnswerID: 348900

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 18:58

Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 18:58
I agree with the other 2 responses. If you get stuck, feel free to give me a call....I live in Kadina and am involved with the YP 4WD Club (el presidento actually....).

Send me a MM if you'd like any more detailed info.

Cheers

Roachie
AnswerID: 348915

Reply By: Willykj - Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 20:42

Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 20:42
We had a few days last year on Yorke Peninsula & absolutely loved it.

Our stays were at Moonta Bay & Point Turton and then 4 days in Innes National Park. Innes N/P was the stand out highlight & we would certainly recommend staying in the N/P rather than just visiting from Point Turton.

Came back the East coast & stayed the final night at Ardrossan which we found interesting with the mining etcc

Willy
AnswerID: 348926

Reply By: gonebush SA - Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 21:48

Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 21:48
hi, yes have to agree Point Turton is a great place and one of our favourite spots, that good we even bought a second van to leave there for quick and hassle free holidays and you would also be wise to look around Kadina, Wallaroo and, last time we stayed at Kadina because everywhere else was full, just trust me there are a lot nicer caravan parks around. good luck and have a great trip and enjoy from Chris.
AnswerID: 348941

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 23:10

Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 23:10
Gotta agree about Kadina c/van park..... Although I've never actually been in there, up until a few months ago there was no fence between it and the Port Pirie road leaving town. You didn't have the Einstein to work out that the Kadina c/van park is a pretty uninviting place. hahahaha

FollowupID: 617175

Follow Up By: Member - Bucky, the "Mexican"- Saturday, Feb 14, 2009 at 09:11

Saturday, Feb 14, 2009 at 09:11
Julie
You could always try the "Roach" Caravan park ..

Cheers
Bucky
FollowupID: 617194

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Saturday, Feb 14, 2009 at 09:20

Saturday, Feb 14, 2009 at 09:20
G'day Bucky,

The Roach c/van park will be okay for a few more months, but after that there should be a house and shed going up..... so our hospitality might have to be curtailed a little bit. ;-(

However, there are still other vacant blocks on either side, so we can sort something out when you are in transit for your CSR trip.

BTW: are you taking any kiwis with you? Most of them think the CSR (Canning Stock Root) is an annual event.... hahahaha
FollowupID: 617195

Follow Up By: gonebush SA - Saturday, Feb 14, 2009 at 12:42

Saturday, Feb 14, 2009 at 12:42
hi, well put it this way, were were there for 5 days and in that time the loo block wasn't cleaned once, the police did a few drive throughs looking for this bloke who went mad, the ground was just dirt and ants, all in all not a place to recommend, but the sight seeing around the area well worth it even though we had been there before we still kept ourselves entertained. one thing to point out though if going down towards turton do your shopping at Kadina first, the food can be a bit pricey down the bottom end, but a must is to try some home cured bacon from the Warrooka butchers- it's the best you'll ever find, good luck chris.
FollowupID: 617234

Follow Up By: bordertrek - Sunday, Feb 22, 2009 at 02:05

Sunday, Feb 22, 2009 at 02:05
Gleesons Landing, Daly Head and the Dustbowl are stunning. Did you go there?
FollowupID: 618651

Follow Up By: gonebush SA - Sunday, Feb 22, 2009 at 09:04

Sunday, Feb 22, 2009 at 09:04
hi, i think we have been to Gleesons Landing but the others don't ring any bells, are they up the top end or down the bottom? As we have just bought our first 4x4 there are plenty of other places we can now explore, we are hopefully heading down for our 'play around' in a month, looking forward to it and going to places the Commodore struggled to get to. Chris.
FollowupID: 618660

Sponsored Links