save money NSW REGO

Submitted: Friday, Aug 15, 2003 at 14:44
ThreadID: 6595 Views:1626 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I have just tried to get a NSW Green Slip for my Patrol and they asked me for the shape code. Mine read PVS. This means its a commercial vehicle and costs an extra $110. Apperently Nissan quite often imports them as Commercial as it saves them money. The good news is that I need to get an inspection and a "blue Slip adjustment", about $20, to fix it. Would never have known if not for the guy at AAMI. Interestly I have never been advised of this before.

Now Ive saved some money, and maybe saved a few others, the bad news is:
As part of the green slip renewal, insurance companies have to ask (on behalf of the RTA) if I have a bullbar, as they are looking to charge a levy in the futuer.

I guess ACA and Today Tonight have convinced the RTA that theres money to be made, with popular support to support them.

Im saying NO- I dont have one. Its an optional research question only. If everyone says no, I guess that means nobody has a bullbar, ergo no money to make.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Alan - Friday, Aug 15, 2003 at 15:06

Friday, Aug 15, 2003 at 15:06
A question from WA

Whats a NSW Green Slip ? I've heard of a "green card"if you go to the USA but not a NSW Green Slip

I agree with your NO answer, you put it on after answering the question.
AnswerID: 28010

Follow Up By: Penguin - Friday, Aug 15, 2003 at 15:16

Friday, Aug 15, 2003 at 15:16
It's the compulsory third-party personal insurance component of the vehicle's annual registration.
FollowupID: 19387

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, Aug 15, 2003 at 18:01

Friday, Aug 15, 2003 at 18:01
Green slips are a scam.. All in favour of insurance companies...

If your completely cripple (Veggie) it means you get ~$300k MAXIMUM for your injuries...

I know Ive been going through it all for last 3.5yrs.
FollowupID: 19409

Reply By: Charlie - Friday, Aug 15, 2003 at 16:54

Friday, Aug 15, 2003 at 16:54
I've been though this various insurance companies, I simply told them it has rear passanger seats and its a passanger vehicle.
Charlie
AnswerID: 28020

Reply By: Member - John- Saturday, Aug 16, 2003 at 14:10

Saturday, Aug 16, 2003 at 14:10
Just had the same problem with AAMI yesterday. At first told the higher NSW CTP Green Slip was $460 because I had nominated my 35 year old son as a probable driver. Comprehensive Insurer APIA suggested this was AAMI Policy. This info proved to be wrong. Another call to AAMI and this time got a knowledgeable guy who told me to check my Rego paper. Sure enough the Shape was recorded PVS - hence commercial and referred me to the RTA. They in turn told me to get a Blue Slip Inspection - $20.50. Did so and now have paperwork to have RTA change the records to PVF and hence a cheaper Green Slip.
BullaPatrol TD42 Diesel
AnswerID: 28102

Reply By: Hatcher - Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003 at 11:41

Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003 at 11:41
I had a similar "debate" with the NSW RTA about my old 4Runner with the removable canopy. The RTA clasified it as a UTE and therefore attracts commercial rego premium. I explaned that the compliance plate on the vehicle is stampped as Station Wagon. He said he didn't care what the plate said, it was a UTE! I then "explained" that the 4Runner came factory fitted with rear passenger seats/seatbelts therefore it is a passenger vehicle/station wagon and it is illegal for passengers to ride in the back of a ute. At this point he turned and walked away without acknowledging my remark. During our "discussion" he also said this UTE clasification also applies to other 4WD vehicles like Sierra, Vitara, Wrangler, etc, based on the fact that they have a "payload" area like a ute. I think this is another rort by the RTA and if enough owners of these vehicles got together there may be a case to be made based on my argument.
AnswerID: 28407

Sponsored Links