Preparing for the Canning, gettint there !

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 06:20
ThreadID: 65986 Views:3890 Replies:8 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
To all
Finally got my cargo barrier and my security box in the Patrol.
I have a rear window stone guard, yet to be mounted (day before we head off, in late July).
Have my second glovebox.
Long range fuel tank (Brown Davis, 148 lt), and 10 jerry's, 50/50 water and extra fuel. (need to carry 300 lts fuel).
Ipod to Kenwood MP3 connector (tested and working).
BFG AT's, fitted.
First Aid kit is complete.
Rocovery kit, is complete.
A real, "home made" stone guard fitted.
A borrowed Sat-Phone (hire rate 1 slab Carlton Draught).
Icom 400 Pro UHF, that I have almost mastered.

Still chasing Standard Patrol rims, as I do not want to run the chance of breaking those "fancy mags". Any offers ?

An EGT has yet to be fitted. Mechanic mate says as long as its within 300 mm post turbo, is perfect, but in reading Ian's (from thermoguard) notes, and chatting to Roachie, I am still a little bewildered, as to where exactly is the best spot, without taking off the exhaust manifold and drilling the required hole.

SWMBO is now setting up the food boxes, ect (and probably the kitchen sink)
I have to make up a roof rack, to chuck on 2 spare tyres, and bugger all else. Have a "gas-less" mig, (no more "hot cocky poo" welds)

Various spares, spare front & rear shockers, radiator hoses, radiator putty, heaps of tools, and my "el cheapo" welding lead, oils, heaps of fuses, coolant.

An old Army box full of tools, hose clips
What have I missed ?

Cheers Bucky

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Uncle (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 06:42

Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 06:42
Lucky Bucky,
sounds like a great trip coming up there mate! I'm sure you'll be more than prepared for it.How long are you away for?
AnswerID: 349109

Follow Up By: Member - Bucky, the "Mexican"- Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 07:08

Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 07:08
Uncle

10 -12 weeks.
By the time we head off it will be 3 years since we have had a holiday, except for having to take 1 full shift cycle off a year.. Just a deal I did with the Boss, 3 years back, when we decided to do the trip.

Hanging out !
Cheers
Bucky
FollowupID: 617341

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 08:11

Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 08:11
Bucky,

Maps and books on the history of the CSR.
Twice as much cards for the camera than you think that you would need. I have taken over 1000 photos of the CSR and they are only the ones that I have kept. I also take the lap top to down load the photos.
Bucket and long rope to get water out of the wells.
Funnel for water use only.
Sand flag and flag pole.
Air compressure
Fencing wire
Inverter for charging camera batteries etc,
Heaps of spare nuts and bolts and washers
Small pieces of steel, flat ,round and angle. Helps if a bracket or a patch has to be made.
Tie down straps
Fuel line and hose clamps to suit.
Fuel filter, air filter.
Small hand pump to be used for diff oil. Very hard to pour oil into the diff.
Cable ties and gaffa tape, also "Rescue Tape" it can be used to seal a small hole in a radiator hose. Will hold hot water under pressure.
Black pepper, again for a hole in the radiator.
A long piece of wire with a hook to remove build up of spinifex grass and spray bottle full of water.
Some of the items you might already have but this is what i have thought of, first thing Sunday morning.

You will also need a good sense of adventure. This is great trip, not to be rushed or taken lightly.

Wayne

AnswerID: 349117

Follow Up By: Member - Bucky, the "Mexican"- Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 08:18

Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 08:18
Wayne

Extras like you describe are in my usual kit.
But thanks anyway.
Need to get the wire hook, and a "Super soaker" water pistol.

Cheers
Bucky
FollowupID: 617348

Follow Up By: Member - vivien C (VIC) - Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 08:39

Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 08:39
Hello Wayne,

We're heading off on this "big adventure" with Bucky so appreciate your input as well. We've got lots of maps and I'd like to get hold of a copy of Ronele and Eric Gard's book on the Canning but I think its out of print. The Westprint maps with their info on the back are really helpful. What other books would you suggest?

I've got about 1200 shots on my camera cards...hopefully that will be enough????? We've got an inverter so that's covered.

So far we've got almost all of our permits and just getting down to fine tuning what's left.

We're getting everything prepared on the vehicle etc

As for the sense of adventure....we can't wait to get out there and experience it all!!

Bucky - sounds like everything is coming together nicely!

Viv
FollowupID: 617353

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 09:11

Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 09:11
Viv,

No matter how much and how often I pack, just at the start of the CRS I wounder if I have forgotten any thing.

This year will be my 5th trip in as many years as it is still a very big adventure.

Camera card are cheap an extra one or two will not unused. You could fill one card on just taking photos of camels that you will see on the trip.

Image Could Not Be Found

The Gard's book can be a "bit heavy" at time but is very good. I also have a copy of the Australian Geographic "The Canning Stock Route" by E.& R. Gard, D. Hewitt, M. Bamford. A very good book but might be hard to find.
Explore Australia by 4WD by Craig Lewis and Cathy Savage is also a very good book with maps and info. There is also a lot of information on this site which you have probably already checked out.

Image Could Not Be Found

Bucky the wire hook and water pistol should stop this from happening to your convey. The alloy rims didn't break only melted. If you can not change rims before you go I would not be too worried about it.

Wayne
FollowupID: 617358

Reply By: Willem - Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 09:02

Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 09:02
Bucky

Two spare tyres extra on the roof rack is not necessary. Just extra weight to carry around. You are unlikely to have a puncture on the CSR. If your camper and Nissan wheels are the same size then you will have enough in spares if you include the camper spare. Take enough puncture repair with you. Then you don't need that roof rack either.

Take a large spanner with you to tie to the bucket handle so that it tilts over when you gather water from wells which do not have a windlass and bucket.

Cheers
AnswerID: 349128

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 09:27

Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 09:27
Willem,

You are right, very unlikely to have a flat on the Canning Stock Route,it is the roads to and from the CSR that are the problem.

Tying a spanner to the bucket handle takes the fun out of trying to flip the bucket just before it hits the water in the well. I bet there are a lot of spanners at the bottom of the wells.

Image Could Not Be Found

Wayne
FollowupID: 617363

Follow Up By: Willem - Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 09:54

Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 09:54
Wayne

Hmmm...your Pic looks like Well 26?

Tie the spanner on with wire and you won't lose it!

Please correct me if I am wrong but the only wells with buckets are 6 Pierre Springs, Well 26 and Well 46? Memory is hazy.

An extra spare tyre case could be carried on the drawbar of the trailer which negates the need for a roofrack in Bucky's case.

Cheers
FollowupID: 617365

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 10:29

Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 10:29
Willem,

The steel buckets can go missing some times but any well that has a cover usually has good water.

It took a bit of looking but the photo is of Well 6

Image Could Not Be Found

The steel fence and steel whipping pole were the clue.

Image Could Not Be Found

Well 26 has been restored but using timbers as they were originally built.

Wayne
FollowupID: 617373

Follow Up By: Member - Bucky, the "Mexican"- Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 04:29

Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 04:29
Willem
Cheers for the info about the tyres, But I like to have tyres and a couple of tubes. Me old mate Bill, from up the road, managed to get to destroy one tyre, but that was on the Gibb River Road, and one of the vehicles destroyed another, on the Canning.
Maybe I am being a little over cautious. ?

Cheers
Bucky
FollowupID: 617564

Follow Up By: Member - Bucky, the "Mexican"- Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 04:53

Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 04:53
Willem
Cheers for the draw bar tip with the tyres.
Cheers
Bucky
FollowupID: 617566

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 11:22

Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 11:22
When are you going?
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 349159

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 12:22

Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 12:22
John,

Not sure to whom your question was directed to.

Bucky is going late July and going north to south. I will be going mid July heading south to north.

We should meet some where along the track.

Wayne
FollowupID: 617394

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 15:45

Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 15:45
Hi Wayne it was actually directed at Bucky, I knew when you were traveling.

I'm going from Wiluna north in early June so will be ahead of you.
We can try and catch up via the HF also if you are interested in track condition reports.

Cheers
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 617430

Reply By: Member - Richard H (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 17:15

Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 17:15
I took a porta potty. It took up a bit of room, (base about 30 x 35cm & height 30cm) but being portable you can lump it around, and it's so much more comfortable than squatting, particularly when your bones start to ossify. The 'Thetford" make is pretty robust and strong enough to have stuff placed on top top it.

One thing my missus didn't whinge about, kept her happy and the fluids that are used for adding upper and lower tanks are environmentally O.K.

Get a good one as the cheap versions can leak.

I don't have a pole with a flag on it, should get one I suppose, but they are useful from the safety aspect.

Bottle of Bundy in case of snake bite, and of course Green Ginger wine in case they don't.

AnswerID: 349229

Reply By: Jimbo (WA) - Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 17:54

Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 17:54
G'day to all,

if you want any waypoints of the CSR - good potential camp spots, Wells, points of interest etc, let me know and I'll email you what I've got.

AnswerID: 349242

Reply By: Member - Bucky, the "Mexican"- Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 04:43

Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 04:43
Thanks all

Every bit of advice is appreciated, and I cannot help but wonder what I have missed out on checking.

Camper tyres are not same size as Patrol.
When I first brought the Trak-Shak, we had the Navara and I changed the tyres to all the same size, as I still have to carry 2 spares.
In a perfect world I would have them all the same size, but they have only done 10,000-12,000 km I see no reason to change them.

Need a lotto win, but I have not seen a blue moon yet, so I guess I have to stick to what I have.

Cheers
Bucky

AnswerID: 349322

Reply By: Old Johno [NSW] - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2009 at 11:38

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2009 at 11:38
Bucky watch the water at well 18, couple of people got rather ill from it last year
AnswerID: 349460

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2009 at 12:07

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2009 at 12:07
Old Johno, and Bucky

Because we were travelling south to north we filled our water tanks at Durba Springs. Well 18 is north of Durba Springs.

Image Could Not Be Found

Even though this well has a cover and the water should be OK we always boiled the water before drinking or storing in the water tanks.

Wayne
FollowupID: 617749

Sponsored Links