Adelaide to Broome

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 15:21
ThreadID: 66005 Views:6240 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Any comments on a sojourn from adelaide to broome. Sights and sounds along the way and also perils that might be incurred. First long haul for me. Any info would greatly be appreciated.

Regards Allan
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - lyndon K (SA) - Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 15:51

Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 15:51
Hi Allan

Might help people to help you if you give your intended route.

Cheers Lyndon
Now is the only time you own
Decide now what you will,
Place faith not in tomorrow
For the clock may then be still

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 349210

Reply By: allan62 - Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 17:26

Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 17:26
Sorry Lyndon Adelaide to Alice Then the Tanami Rd Unless u have some better way
AnswerID: 349235

Follow Up By: Bob of KAOS - Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 18:09

Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 18:09
Allan,
Left turn just north of Marla.
Head via Fregon and Amata to Pipalyatjara.
Then turn R up towards Warakurna.
A short blast along the GCR to the SBJT.
Head up the SBJT to Kintore.
Turn L at the Desert Road and drive to the beach (along the Desert Rd, cross the CSR at well 33, and then along the Wapet Rd to 80 Mile beach).
After a swim, turn NE at the bitumen for the short drive into Broome.
The above trip, taken at a leisurely pace, takes 8 days from Canberra, so about seven days from Adelaide.
Bob
FollowupID: 617453

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 18:10

Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 18:10
Hi Allan

I don't know what you are driving, or if you are towing. Did you read the recent Tanami thread? You will avoid some corrugations but not all by taking the Gary Junction Road (off the Tanami not far north of Alice), then go to Marble Bar, and on to the highway between Pt Hedland and Broome via the scenic Shay Gap road. I have not been on the Gary Junction Road yet, but hope to this year. Last year we went to and from Alice via the Tanami and Great Central Roads - they are both long roads with a lot of corrugations, and remote places to break down, although still something to enjoy.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 617458

Reply By: Happy Frank - Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 20:21

Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 20:21
We travelled that way a few years ago, Tanami road is okay, bit boring in parts but generally in reasonable condition.Halls Creek and Old Hall Ck are interesting, and of course the Bungles. We then went vias the Gibb River Road and Mitchell Falls, Derby, to broome, but through Fitzroy Crossing is pleasant and heaps shorter.
AnswerID: 349259

Reply By: Member - vivien C (VIC) - Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 20:43

Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 20:43
Allan,

There are many different ways you could take from Adelaide to Broome. It all depends on what you want to see and do, what sort of roads you are happy travelling on and how much time you have to travel.

So far you've been given lots of ideas..so here's another:

You could head to Alice via Coober Pedy and continue on the Stuart Highway to Dunmarra then head west on the Buchanan/Buntine & Duncan Highways through Top Springs to Halls Creek. This brings you in past Sawpit Gorge (good camp spot) and Old Halls Creek.

From there you could head to the Bungle Bungles and Kununurra, visit Wyndham then the Gibb River Road to Derby and Broome. After visiting Broome you could then head to Fitzroy Crossing then return to Halls Creek and down the Tanami to Alice Springs and back home to Adelaide.

You could also head across the Nullabor to Kalgoorlie up to Leinster, then to Meekatharra and north to Newman. From Newman you could head to Marble Bar then the coast to 80 Mile Beach and on to Broome...from Broome you could do a loop of the Gibb River Road, Kununurra, Bungle Bungles to Halls Creek then down the Tanami and home.....

Or you could combine any of those suggestions with the suggestions you've already received and come up with a new idea. The possibilities are many.

There are many blogs and trek notes on EO with places to see in the Kimberley and on the Gibb River Road. Whichever way you go, you'll enjoy.

Best wishes

Viv
AnswerID: 349265

Sponsored Links