Travelling from Adelaide for 30 days - Which way?

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 20:57
ThreadID: 66016 Views:2729 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone,

Warm Greetings!

I've (We!) been lurking for a while now, just enjoying the regular posts and collective wisdom found on the forum.

By way of introduction, my wife and I, as well as our two kids (2 & 6) enjoy camping, cruising about the country side and doing a bit of walking as we go.

Our latest adventure was down to Halls Gap, where do covered a good many of the walking tracks over a week long stay.

At this point in time we have a Cameron canvas on road camper trailer, pulled by a Ford Falcon. In the next 12 months we hope to waive a magic wand over both, turning the Ford into a pre-loved Prado or Pajero and the on road camper into an off road version. Our plan is then to use a three month long service leave break to explore...

However, before all of that happens, we plan to head out of Adelaide for a month, for the 30 days prior to easter, returning on easter Friday - hopefully to meet the logjam of cars heading out of SA.

The original theory was to head off on the Great Ocean Road, at a leisurely pace, maybe taking in a few sights with the backpack and kids in tow. We were then thinking of doing the Victorian High Country. Well, that was before the fires hit.

To that end, we're now looking for suggestions - bearing in mind we have the two wheel drive, where would you head and how would you structure the trip if you had a month out of Adelaide?

Looking forward to any suggestions and related banter!

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kumunara (NT) - Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 23:36

Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 23:36
Teamredheads

Have you had a look at the Flinders Ranges, Gammon Ranges, etc. Worth seeing.

I have done the Great Ocean Road in the summer and it is freezing then. I hate to think how cold it would be around easter.

I am in Adelaide at the moment. It is very dry and cold. Wish I was in the top end.

Tjilpi
Life's great and it just keeps getting better

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 349310

Follow Up By: Teamredheads - Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 15:06

Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 15:06
Hi Tjilpi, thanks for the response - much appreciated. We're kinda scratching our heads a little as we've fairly well covered all those areas... thus the email.

Having said that - appreicate the feedback!
FollowupID: 617624

Follow Up By: Skippy In The GU - Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 15:38

Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 15:38
Kumunara (NT) wrote:
"I am in Adelaide at the moment. It is very dry and cold. Wish I was in the top end."

You must be inside mount Thebarton the temp for Adelaide on Sunday got to 29.8°, but maybe that is cold if your from the Top E End . hahaha
FollowupID: 617630

Follow Up By: Kumunara (NT) - Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 20:27

Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 20:27
Skippy

I am from Katherine. Heaps of rain, humid and temps in the high 30's

29.8 degrees is cold.

Everything in Adelaide looks dry and lifeless. Rain is desperately needed.

Tjilpi
Life's great and it just keeps getting better

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 617669

Reply By: get outmore - Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 09:19

Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 09:19
if your into fishing at all probabally the west coast of the eyre penninsula Elliston to streaky and then maybe north for the gawler ranges

its all 2wd freindly
AnswerID: 349336

Follow Up By: Teamredheads - Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 15:11

Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 15:11
Hey get out more, many thanks.

Not into the fishing too much at this stage - the 6yo's not shown too much interest.

I was originally thinking of changing plans to head off to Perth, but the long drive there puts me off, mainly because we'd have to take the same road back. Something to look forward to when we upgrade and have a little more time.

All the best
FollowupID: 617625

Reply By: Member - Jay Gee (WA) - Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 17:32

Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 17:32
I don't think you need to go any further than "South Australia's Best Kept Secret" - The Eyre Penninsula. I'm sure that not even many South Australian's have been there. I suggest travelling from Port Lincon to Ceduna stopping at all the little towns in between.

I recommend staying at Shelly Beach Caravan Park near Ceduna. We stopped there about 6 years ago whilst traveling from WA to Adelaide and were so impressed by "Shelly Beach Park" that we made sure we stayed about a week on our return trip.
AnswerID: 349382

Reply By: wendys - Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 17:42

Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 17:42
Suggest along coast to Mt Gambier. Nelson, Narrawong, Port Fairy, Warrnambool - all great places to stay and explore. Then Great Ocean Rd - lots of possible places to stay along there. Explore the Bellarine Peninsula and Geelong. Then up to Ballarat. Then along to the Grampians/Halls Gap . Then home. You will find that will fill 30 days - and then some. Weather should still be fine then - most years we do not get winter until later than Easter. I stress - most, not all!
None of those areas are fire affected (touch wood) and by then, the real fire season should be over.
AnswerID: 349384

Reply By: zeddie - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2009 at 01:57

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2009 at 01:57
Hi

I had a great round trip around in the trusty HiAce camper

Stops included:

Pink Lakes - also interesting to see the old salt mining machinery

Mildura - (Stefano's Restaurant was terrific)

Lake Mungo - we also travelled around to the camp at the back.
Watch for rain forecast. We moved out at the first drop.
We are a 2 wheel drive and the road became as slippery as ice within less than an hour and the rangers closed the road.

Darlington Point and around the MIA
AnswerID: 349429

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (9)