Tie your loads on carefully with roof racks and trailers

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 18, 2009 at 19:56
ThreadID: 66082 Views:3112 Replies:7 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Today along the Western end of the Great Ocean Road near Allans Forest I saw a GQ NSW Rego with a partially full roof rack parked beside the road and three guys off on the opposite side of the road. No, it wasn't a lost wheel.

The guys were looking for contents of a plastic box. They had one there, broken and objets de camping spread along the side of the road. I followed the road further towards Nirranda and a similar box was broken on the opposite side of the road to the other one.

I would have thought the straps are cheap enough to strap your gear down and save embarrassment. I didn't see an EO sticker on the front of the car, so they may not know they get a mention here.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Miss Jo - Toad Keeper - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2009 at 21:33

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2009 at 21:33
ummmm isn't it common sense to use tie downs when you have something on the roof rack?????
AnswerID: 349755

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2009 at 21:35

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2009 at 21:35
Common sense isn't all that common any more Jo hahahaha
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 618038

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Thursday, Feb 19, 2009 at 08:07

Thursday, Feb 19, 2009 at 08:07
One of the common things you see with tie downs is to go from side to side.

The correct way I learned years ago tyeing on kayaks was to keep the point you tied to as close as possible to the vertical side to whatever you had didn't move sideways either.
FollowupID: 618100

Reply By: Miss Jo - Toad Keeper - Thursday, Feb 19, 2009 at 00:54

Thursday, Feb 19, 2009 at 00:54
It certainly isn't!!!!!
AnswerID: 349801

Reply By: Member - Craig M (QLD) - Thursday, Feb 19, 2009 at 08:08

Thursday, Feb 19, 2009 at 08:08
just in case you are short of common sense, the government employs thousands of people to document common sense and then expends millions of dollars to remind people what it is...........Welcome to Workplace Health & Safety

Craig
AnswerID: 349815

Follow Up By: Miss Jo - Toad Keeper - Thursday, Feb 19, 2009 at 09:18

Thursday, Feb 19, 2009 at 09:18
That's Gold Craig!
Some of the rules we have at work are actually endangering our lives on the roads, but they just don't get it! The pen pushers behind the desk have to justify their wage each month until we all get the pin in June.Our WH&S Officer... we call her 'The Warden'.
FollowupID: 618106

Reply By: DIO - Thursday, Feb 19, 2009 at 09:26

Thursday, Feb 19, 2009 at 09:26
Objects falling from vehicles have resulted in many deaths to other motorists. Examples include, bricks, loading ramps, tie downs, lengths of timber etc. The driver of a vehicle that loses a portion of it's load commits an offence. Insecure load - or similar.
AnswerID: 349832

Follow Up By: Alan H - Thursday, Feb 19, 2009 at 11:21

Thursday, Feb 19, 2009 at 11:21
A large roll of steel fell off a truck here in WA a few years ago and crushed the wife of a local MP.
Not sure if the driver was done for it or not.
Alan.
FollowupID: 618127

Reply By: Member - AZOORC (SA) - Thursday, Feb 19, 2009 at 12:13

Thursday, Feb 19, 2009 at 12:13
I had my widnscreen caved in recently on my way to Beachport by someones insecure load on a trailer.
No warning at all just straight in to the air and wack at 100km per Hr.
Luckily it hit the passengers side and not the drivers side or vision would have been nil.
Could have ended up serious had it come through and hit my wife or kids as it is we had glass everywhere.
I continued to make the car responsible pull over.
He didn't really care didn't ask if everyone was okay, a bit too relaxed for my liking considoring someonbe could have been seriously injured.
When I reported it to the police more for the insurance side of things they said he would not be fined for an insecure load.
I couldnt work that out still cant.

Cheers
Paul.

AnswerID: 349868

Reply By: Sigmund - Thursday, Feb 19, 2009 at 15:46

Thursday, Feb 19, 2009 at 15:46
I learned the hard way not to use okky straps for large or heavy roof rack loads. Webbing straps work a lot better.
AnswerID: 349890

Reply By: Flywest - Friday, Feb 20, 2009 at 13:41

Friday, Feb 20, 2009 at 13:41
Many many years ago I transported a trailer load of rolls of fencing mesh back from manjimum to Nannup - and trabelled down the so caled bridgetown hill.

On arival at home.....one of the rolls appeared to have gone missing! (oops).

It was late by then almost midnight - but i didn't want some poor SOB driving into it and getting injured so I went back looking for it!

Luckily it was near the home end that it fell (bunced) off the trailer, but unbeknowns to me - when it hit the road - it unrolled and layed flat along the road for the 100 meters - partway down the bridgetown hill!

I didn't see it with the lights going back up the hill - but when I was comming home again down the hill for now the 2nd time...I "saw" it, - after I was already on top of it!

I jammed on the brakes, but the wire was heavy galve high tensile mesh stuff and it kept the tyres pretty much off the bitumen, and I skidded diown the hill, on top of the mesh as it, in turn scrunched up under the vehicle - got tangled in the underside mechanicals of the ute etc etc.

Luckily I didn't run off the road but it was a weird sensation - sorta like driving on ice and unable to steer or stop!

In the end i was glad it was me who "ran over my own mistake".

I was under the ute for hours with a torch and pliers cutting the wire out of the mechanicals (unis and talshaft) etc..steering brakes - you name it!

I ended up rolling it up again and puting it in the back and getting it home safe - eventually - but I am now ANAL about tying rolls of wire into trailers utes etc - once bitten twice shy - I shdder to think what might have happened if it had been say a laden log truck comming down that hill - when ithit the wire - I am sure death would have been involved!

Just glad it was late and a quiet road and I got back to it first!

When I see others transporting rolls of wire fencing mesh, I give a very wide berth...

This stuff was 7ft wide deer fencing mesh so it covered a whole lane of the road, both wheels....

I guess it is what they call "learning by experience".

It was well tied in, i thought.......but it got away all the same!

Cheers
AnswerID: 350061

Sponsored Links