pt time 4wd kits for landcruiser legal????

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 18, 2009 at 21:14
ThreadID: 66087 Views:4008 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
just bought 1991 80 series, looking up replacing centre diff bearings, thought i would pt time it at same time.
have been organising insurance, they asked about modifications and informed them and asked about pt time kit.
they then asked if it is approved by transport sa, if so they would then have to contact the underwriters as this modification will change the manufacturers original design of the vehicle to see if they accept the risk.
this wasn't one insurer but a few.
so thought i would ask a few mates who have had it done and stirred a hornets nest, their handbarkes hit the roof that the mates hadn't notified the insurers.
has anyone actually looked into the legallities??????
going to ring transport sa tomorrow to check but thought i might get feedback tonight.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: pop2jocem - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2009 at 21:40

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2009 at 21:40
whale

I'm not sure if this helps or not but didn't the standard or what some people refer to as the "poverty pack" (I personally call the "practical pack") come out with part time 4wd as standard on this model? Basically the same drive train but without constant 4wd.

Cheers Pop
AnswerID: 349759

Reply By: On Patrol & TONI - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2009 at 21:52

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2009 at 21:52
whale
I could be wrong and many will tell me if I am, BUT the genuine supplier TOYOTA offer a part time kit as an after market part for the 100sr and I think also for the 80sr.

Cos the 100sr original part is in TONI to make it fit the Nissan drive line.

Point being, that if the original manufacturer offers this as a part it must be acceptable to the authorities in any state of Australia.
Cheers Colin.
AnswerID: 349763

Reply By: whale - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2009 at 22:08

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2009 at 22:08
have not looked into other than goanna wear conversion, so have not heard of the toyota one.
insurers said as this model is full time the part time kit could be considered a major change to performance in normal operations.
like i say i have had no time to speak to transport sa.
thanks for the feed back so far.
AnswerID: 349771

Reply By: robertbruce - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2009 at 22:38

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2009 at 22:38
If the vehicle is listed as an "all wheel drive" then changing it to pt will indeed completely change the driving dynamics of the vehicle and most prolly the insurance...

from a safety point of view, AWD is far superior for the average driver, and a darn-site lot of fun for an above-averge driver if you understand what the center-diff is goin to do in given situations...

The old Standard 80 series wagon, the one with the rear doors rather than tailgate was not fitted with a center diff...
AnswerID: 349780

Reply By: whale - Thursday, Feb 19, 2009 at 11:58

Thursday, Feb 19, 2009 at 11:58
spoke to transport sa. they have no problems with pt time kits on this model, only models that have electronics,engine management, traction controls, hill climbs etc.
so have to buzz the insurers today and see what they have to say now.
only going to pt time to reduce some wear and tear and if something does give in the front can free wheel the hubs to get home. give us a reason to stop and have a billy while we consider the reasons for locking the hubs. i can claim that i have had some excercise for the day as well.
i would have walked, done a crunch or two, wrist and finger excercises.

have a good one will post what the insurers have to say later.

travelling oz soon
whale
AnswerID: 349866

Reply By: Member - Chris & Debbie (QLD) - Thursday, Feb 19, 2009 at 12:46

Thursday, Feb 19, 2009 at 12:46
Hi whale
I have just installed the part time kit from Goanna into my 80series. you will find the part time will give you slighly better economy. It is this reason that I fitted it as the more K's I can get from the tank the better. the other reason is so I could run one of their Lokka diffs, which I just installed, in the front as the Lokka's should not really be fitted to a constant 4x4.

Chris
Coddiwomple (v.) To travel purposefully towards a vague destination.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message
Classifieds: Codan Envoy HF Radio X1 for sale

AnswerID: 349871

Follow Up By: whale - Friday, Feb 20, 2009 at 12:55

Friday, Feb 20, 2009 at 12:55
thanks for that.
the wife has been worried as one of our friens reckons part time has made his truck walk a lot.have you experienced this?
only asking on behalf of the wife.
personally can't see why unless he needs a wheel alignment, he has a 3" suspension lift and 2 " body lift i believe. matched with 33" muddies, which i think would be more the problem
FollowupID: 618378

Follow Up By: Member - Chris & Debbie (QLD) - Friday, Feb 20, 2009 at 13:59

Friday, Feb 20, 2009 at 13:59
I have not experience any 'walking' since fitting the part time kit, maybe a slight amount after fitting a 3" lift though. I would say you are right with the 3" lift plus body lift and bigger tyres causing the problem on your friends vehicle. Mine is set up for touring so I have not gone the body lift or bigger tyres.
You can probably put your wifes mind at ease by saying toyota bought out plenty of standard models without full time 4x4, plus all the other Toyota's and makes that do not have constant 4x4.
The real advantage of the constant 4x4, as I see it, is the extra control you would get on loose gravel or slippery roads but how many people know how to drive correctly to take advantage of this?
Chris

FollowupID: 618389

Follow Up By: whale - Friday, Feb 20, 2009 at 14:08

Friday, Feb 20, 2009 at 14:08
thanks for that.
still have to get the insurer onside yet.
trying to get the truck ready for the big trip, as if qld drys out looking at cape york late june with our 4wd club then on our own vanning through the outback of qld and nsw.
does any reccommend somewhere to store the van in or around cairns? have to put post on main forum.
FollowupID: 618392

Follow Up By: Member - Chris & Debbie (QLD) - Friday, Feb 20, 2009 at 14:26

Friday, Feb 20, 2009 at 14:26
Only picked-up the 80 a few months ago so trying to get it set-up as well, for a Simpson trip in May/June.
Enjoy your trip to the cape, may do that next year.
If you don't mind me asking, which club are you with?
Chris

FollowupID: 618395

Follow Up By: whale - Friday, Feb 20, 2009 at 14:31

Friday, Feb 20, 2009 at 14:31
The Northern 4wd club of S.A
not sure but i think some of our group are going to come back via the simpson in late july.
bert
FollowupID: 618396

Sponsored Links