Cruiser 80s CV problem?

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 18, 2009 at 21:32
ThreadID: 66090 Views:4543 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All

We are new to the cruiser family (93 80 series petrol) and have noticed a ticking/clicking noise when turning mainly left at uphill intersections. This is not felt thru the steering wheel. We are not sure if this is a cv problem (hoping that it isn't). This does not happen all the time. Can anyone help?

thanks
Lexie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2009 at 21:43

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2009 at 21:43
Lexie,

If it a GXL, constant 4wd, and under load, going up a hill, and a clicking noise is heard, CV is worn. 99% sure with what you have said and with out hearing it.

They are not that hard to change but for the first time I would watch how it is done if you want to do the job in the future.
It would also pay to have both CV's changed at the same time. If one is worn the other will also be close to being changed.

After market CV,s are half the price as genuine. Don Kayatt have them.

Wayne

AnswerID: 349762

Follow Up By: Nev & Lexie - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2009 at 22:03

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2009 at 22:03
Hi Wayne

Not good news before our first trip, sounds like it needs to be fixed.

Thanks for your help
Lexie
FollowupID: 618055

Reply By: Member - Jack - Thursday, Feb 19, 2009 at 07:03

Thursday, Feb 19, 2009 at 07:03
Sounds suspiciously like a cv to me. I had the same symptoms in my 1991 Cruiser, which was pointed out to me by my son about 6 months prior to leaving for my trip around Australia. I did not worry about it.

35km out of Adelaide River, on the bypass road it gave out, and I had to be flat towed back into Adelaide River. As it broke on a Friday I had to wait until Monday for spares, and the excellent mechanic there had me mobile by Monday afternoon.

The cv was inconvenient ... being "trapped" in Adelaide River for 4 days was torture!!!

I'd have it fixed. :)

Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 349810

Follow Up By: Nev & Lexie - Thursday, Feb 19, 2009 at 08:01

Thursday, Feb 19, 2009 at 08:01
Hi Jack

Thanks for your reply. I was hoping it was just a cruiser noise! and not the cv as I have heard this can be a bit expensive to repair. Anyway it's definately best to get it fixed now and not on the side of the road.

Cheers
Lexie
FollowupID: 618099

Reply By: thepunter - Thursday, Feb 19, 2009 at 16:24

Thursday, Feb 19, 2009 at 16:24
Hi Nev & Lexie,

The majority of the cost here is generally labour cost, as it takes a considerable amount of time to tear down and replace the CVs. If you have some tools and can use them you can save yourself some money. Having said that, while you are doing this you may want to consider replacing the rotors, disc pads, bearings, wiper seals, trunion bearing etc. This can add considerable cost. I did mine recently and I have limiter mechanical experience.

Have a look at this site it will give you a lot of information and you can decide you want to tackle it yourself.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/78276-front-axle-rebuild-faq.html
CV Link

NOTE: They call CVs Birfields.

David.
AnswerID: 349897

Reply By: Member - Rob S (NSW) - Thursday, Feb 19, 2009 at 19:14

Thursday, Feb 19, 2009 at 19:14
Hi Nev
As said it can be worn cv's but how many klm's do you have on your 80.and how has been treated and serviced.
My 80 has just gone over 200 000 klm.
And i noticed a slight clicking in the cv's i just pumped in some more molly grease through the lubricating plugs located on top
of the steering knuckles as recommended in the gregorys manual.
And this cured the problem.
As i am a maintance fitter i was still curious to see if the cv's were worn.
I could do the job my self so
only last weekend i striped both steering knuckles
to find out what was going on and replace a slightly leaking front axle seal.
I found the cv's to be still ok and tight.
found all four king pin bearings stuffed.
Replaced all the seals from Toyota they have a knuckle kit both sides $170.+pus axle seals $15.
And all wheel bearings and king pin bearings from local bearing distributer.
The over haul kits from terrain tamer are ok as well and a lot cheaper.
I am not sure the average life span of cv's in a cruiser
but i appears that around 200 000klm
an over haul of the steering knuckles would be a good idea.
just to clean inspect replace seals and bearings re lube the cv's.
Not a job for the faint hearted LOL.
Rob.

I only ever made one mistake
and that's when I thought I was wrong!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 349919

Reply By: Sea-Dog - Friday, Feb 20, 2009 at 15:21

Friday, Feb 20, 2009 at 15:21
Also worth mentioning that the CV spline was upgraded in 94 so if you do replace them get the post 94 CV for your car... You will get new drive flange also and the post 94 have deeper and chunkier splines so are a bit longer lasting...

As said before though could be that they have dried out and a new purge of grease in from the top might stop your clicking.

The CV will only cost you around $120 for both sides but the labour to change over will be expensive.. along with new swivel hub seals, bearings, inner axle seals etc... if you are paying someone to do the job it can end up costing a bit.

best of luck with it.
AnswerID: 350076

Sponsored Links