The pajero has a new turbo and not burning oil as much!

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 19, 2009 at 10:14
ThreadID: 66101 Views:4761 Replies:1 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Finally got around to replacing the turbo on the paj.
Not as many clouds of black smoke out the back now taking off from rest.

Got a new one ex Japan, and supposedly excess stock from the Mitsubishi factory, for $550.00 landed with a gasket kit. Through ebay of course.

Fitted fine, except for a small heat shield support point missing.

It came from Taiwan. Reckon it is a chinese copy, and it came from the whare house out the back of the factory with 'Mitsubishi' painted on the front. :o) I understand the old 2.8l 4M40 motor I have, which is also used in the Canter, is being copied in China.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rodney P (SA) - Thursday, Feb 19, 2009 at 22:04

Thursday, Feb 19, 2009 at 22:04
Hi John,

Good to hear you have had a successful result.

I have the same 4m40 motor and always watched these turbo's on ebay with interest.

Have you noticed any improvement in performance? My old girl is showing her age and I am thinking about where to look next to recover a little "get up and go".

Cheers,

Rodders.
AnswerID: 349966

Follow Up By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Friday, Feb 20, 2009 at 08:58

Friday, Feb 20, 2009 at 08:58
Hi Rodney,

Very slight improvement in performance.

Looked at your profile and notice you are running the 31" tyres. I am running bigger tyres too. Big step up from the original 235/75/15, and a noticeable loss of acceleration, but better clearance :o)

I didn't go for a change in turbine vanes for more power, stuck to original. She has 330,000k up, and there is slightly better pick up from 1400rpm with the new turbo. You know how they don't like pulling from below 1600 rpm in 4th and 5th? Well bit happier now pulling from 1400 without all of the groans. Reckon the vanes on the original turbo got a bit blasted and the edges taken off with some of the dirt road travel. Fine dust must get through the air filter.

What I did do (and the only thing I have done) to improve performance was to install a manual boost adjuster (about $50.00 off ebay). Put in a boost gauge about 70,000k ago and found I was maxing out at 9 to 10 psi boost. Factory setting is 11 psi. Now running about 14 psi max boost. Less soot blowing out of the exhaust at full throttle, so I reckon it must be burning more diesel with more air.
You can't go much higher because the inlet manifold has a relief valve set at 16 psi, and it blows if any higher.
Some people I know are running about 16 to 17 psi boost, they have got the manifold valve off the 2.5l, which lets go at 20 psi. It is a screw out screw in deal.
The manual boost controller got acceleration back to feeling like it did before I put on the bigger tyres, so maybe a 10% improvement. Can actually overtake at 90 to 100k in 5th on the flat with the camper trailer on the back without it being too scarey, or needing a loooong run up.

My only concern with the new turbo is how long it is going to last. Don't think I will get the 300,000k that the original did ( if it is chinese).
FollowupID: 618331

Follow Up By: Member - Rodney P (SA) - Friday, Feb 20, 2009 at 18:29

Friday, Feb 20, 2009 at 18:29
Hi John,

Thanks for that - excellent info!

Yes mine is really groaning even below ~1800rpm. I am wondering if the injection pump needs some attention. Have you had yours done?

I have also started researching manual boost adjustment. Have just installed a boost gauge. Where are you measuring the boost pressure? I have teed into the tubing that goes from the turbo to the injection pump, i.e. just out of the turbo, and it reads ~13psi max - without any boost adjustment. I suspect I should be reading the actual manifold pressure as there would be pressure drop across the intercooler. Is this correct?

Also note from your profile you have the Thermoguard EGT. Did you install the thermocouple before or after the turbo?

Sorry about all the questions - but it is good to find someone with the same vehicle and experience.

Cheers,

Rodney.

FollowupID: 618432

Sponsored Links