cooper STTs

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 21, 2009 at 07:40
ThreadID: 66156 Views:2836 Replies:11 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
well, i have finanly plucked up the curry to fork out forsomenew tyres.
I just bought thecooper STT 285/75/16. what a mean looking bit of gear.... havnt taken them off road yet... but will do this weekend.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Craig M (QLD) - Saturday, Feb 21, 2009 at 08:02

Saturday, Feb 21, 2009 at 08:02
Be prepared...........You have just hit a forum nerve end here.
In case you didn't know them they are:

1 Brand of Vehicle
2 Brand of Tyre
3 Brand of fridge

Wars and revolutions have been started for lesser acts than passing an opinion on one of the three subjects above.

May God have mercy upon you......................Book your therapist now!

Craig
AnswerID: 350185

Follow Up By: Willem - Saturday, Feb 21, 2009 at 09:11

Saturday, Feb 21, 2009 at 09:11
Hahahaha!!.......................very apt, Craig.

Cheers
FollowupID: 618503

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Thoughtfully- Saturday, Feb 21, 2009 at 09:09

Saturday, Feb 21, 2009 at 09:09
Way to go, Have the same tyres myself on my NissanToyotaLandroverTerritory and couldn't be happier.

They are quieter on the road that the ST-C's and this May will see how they resist chipping on rocks. But I have seen them in that country before and don't expect any really bad news.

Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 350194

Reply By: Willem - Saturday, Feb 21, 2009 at 09:25

Saturday, Feb 21, 2009 at 09:25
Greg

It depends on your perception of offroad.

My experience with Cooper tyres is sad and woeful and expensive.

But in Cooper's defence I will admit that I put the tyres through some hard outback country and unfortunately I staked some. Once staked in the sidewall there is no return and eventually the tyres had to be discarded.They did lose lugs as well. I really got that sick of plugging tyres, I swore never again.

As far as performance goes they did well on roughish roads and the occasional rocky track and were sure footed on the bitumen.

I suppose most other brands of tyre compared with Coopers would have suffered the same in the country I took them. A mate of mine however has fared quite well with Toyo Open Country tyres in the rough although he always brings up Tail End Charlie in the convoy and has the luxury of having the track flattened in front of him....lol

I wish you well with your Coopers.

Cheers
AnswerID: 350200

Reply By: Bob of KAOS - Saturday, Feb 21, 2009 at 09:44

Saturday, Feb 21, 2009 at 09:44
Greg

Contrary to Willem's tale of woe I have had an incredible run with the STs and STCs. After 70,000 km I had to replace the rear tyres and I never had a single puncture. That included many trips around the Centre, a drive from Canberra to 80 Mile beach via the dirt, then the GRR and finally a trip up the Connie Sue where I scrubbed out the rear tyres towing a mate into Kal. I bought two new tyres in Kal and staked one 300 km later!

I suspect lug damage is less likely in vehicles with traction control (TC). If you compare vehicles with and without TC by watching as they traverse a slow tricky section you will observe lug ripping spin in the latter.

I see no reason whatsoever to change from the best touring tyres I've ever had.
AnswerID: 350204

Reply By: Member - Rick P (NT) - Saturday, Feb 21, 2009 at 09:55

Saturday, Feb 21, 2009 at 09:55
Good luck Greg, Hope they are better now than they were before. I was told they had major problems when they started making them in Malaysia, something to do with the humidity which wasn't a problem in the States. But they have an X Dunlop engineer on board now so fingers crossed. All my lugs fell off as well but to Bob Jane credit they gave me my money back mainly because they couldn't get any in at the time.
Cheers
AnswerID: 350208

Reply By: Shaker - Saturday, Feb 21, 2009 at 10:01

Saturday, Feb 21, 2009 at 10:01
To be honest, I am not really sure which is worse, Cooper tyres, or their so called warranty!
AnswerID: 350211

Follow Up By: Bob of KAOS - Saturday, Feb 21, 2009 at 21:25

Saturday, Feb 21, 2009 at 21:25
Shaker,

thats a mysterious comment.

Can you tell us what your personal experience with them actually was? We might all learn something.

Bob
FollowupID: 618609

Follow Up By: Shaker - Sunday, Feb 22, 2009 at 13:45

Sunday, Feb 22, 2009 at 13:45
I have posted my problems with both here before, you should find it with a search.
FollowupID: 618710

Reply By: Member - Greg T (ACT) - Saturday, Feb 21, 2009 at 10:10

Saturday, Feb 21, 2009 at 10:10
thanks for the luck giving guys.
since the truck is well set up for 4wding and campingnow, i thought i would shell out for the tyres that would expect to handle the challanges of high country and surrounds, with the occational long distance sprint around the country (eg2011 simpson and surrounds) i know they wont last that long but hey... if they hold up to what i throw at it, i will stick with them, if they are rubbish, i will join many hundreds in calling them no better then old double pluggers.

i will keep up a running report on them for the sake of it. mean while a mate has just bought BFG MTs @ 390 a pop. so we can compare and pay out on the loser of the compo
AnswerID: 350212

Follow Up By: Patrol22 - Saturday, Feb 21, 2009 at 11:57

Saturday, Feb 21, 2009 at 11:57
Mate you should try and palm them off to that oppo of yours with the VW Towrag quickly now before the lugs break off of them :-)
FollowupID: 618516

Follow Up By: Member - Greg T (ACT) - Saturday, Feb 21, 2009 at 17:45

Saturday, Feb 21, 2009 at 17:45
mate, went over there today to drop off some camping boxes. for some reason he was looking at the tyres, then his toyrag and shaking his head...i think he likes them.
i just got rid ofthe micky Ts. after bendethra, about 12 lugs broke off .
FollowupID: 618561

Reply By: Crackles - Saturday, Feb 21, 2009 at 16:43

Saturday, Feb 21, 2009 at 16:43
You're right Greg, they are a great looking tyre :-)
Cheers Craig..............
AnswerID: 350255

Follow Up By: Member - Tony B (Malanda FNQ) - Sunday, Feb 22, 2009 at 07:32

Sunday, Feb 22, 2009 at 07:32
Work well too when you treat them right :-) :-) Cheers Tony
FollowupID: 618653

Reply By: Member - Tony B (Malanda FNQ) - Sunday, Feb 22, 2009 at 07:30

Sunday, Feb 22, 2009 at 07:30
Greg. Ive had a great run on my Cooper STTs. I think all tyres will suffer damage given certain driving conditions. Most of all I think it is drivers skills as well. I always tackle rough conditions as slow as I can go and avoid wheel spin as much as possible. Sometimes you have to back up and try again, but I usually do not break anything. Others like to hit it hard and spin their way over, maybee this is where tyre damage like lug removal is most likely to occur. Ive done a lot of rough country and have no sign of lugs missing. If you drive off tracks through timber country, well sooner or later you will get stacked no matter what tyre you use. They are very good on the road and seem so in the wet as well. I travel up and down the Gillies range just south of Cairns, so that is a good test for them.

Hope they do well for you as well. Cheers Tony
AnswerID: 350344

Reply By: Member - Greg T (ACT) - Sunday, Feb 22, 2009 at 09:06

Sunday, Feb 22, 2009 at 09:06
Image Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be Found

phodies of said tyres. after 45km in the brindabellas
AnswerID: 350359

Reply By: Member - Greg T (ACT) - Friday, Feb 27, 2009 at 20:07

Friday, Feb 27, 2009 at 20:07
well i have had them for just over 1500km now and my first impressions...well... great. mostly onroad due to the thing called work.

on road handling is fantastic, my comparison is from previous tyres (265/75/16 micky T ATZ 5 lug). the coopers seem to be a lot smoother and comfortable than the ATZs. However, braking is a little bit more better on the mickys ufor quick stops.

steering is more responsive on the coopers. point and shoot.

fuel economy is higher around town but lower on highway ( i have put this down to the larger diameter)

i had to run the mickeys on 33psi due to the harsh ride it gave.'

the coopers can get the same ride comfort on 38psi but im running them at 35psi all round to see the difference. 35psi is great.

road noise is a little bit more than the mickys but with the windows up, not much difference.

there is no vibration from the tread on the coopers, considering the tread pattern, this is suprising... good stuff

offroad 35 is harsh, slow offroad i put them down to 20 and its like floating over the top **FANTASTIC**

so for onroad the cooper STTs win in my books over the micky Ts. However i would imagine the wear rate will be infavor of the mickys

but its way too early to talk about wear.

AnswerID: 351397

Sponsored Links