Rebuilding bush towns - Update

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 21, 2009 at 14:16
ThreadID: 66163 Views:2117 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
During our trips we all pass through, or stop in small bush towns for goods or services. Have you ever wondered how much work has been put in by the local community to provide these services or re-establish those that have been lost?

Over the last 5 – 6 years I’ve been fortunate to work with the community in one such town. There have been arguments, frustration, disappointments and happiness when the goal has been achieved.

So you can imagine my thoughts when told last week (after two years of work) that we have been successful in establishing a Bendigo Bank in the town.

Our previous successes have included a pharmacy, super market, ATM, hairdresser and four star restaurant, which are now available to the traveller.

The next goal is to establish a medical centre to service the local population and tourism. We are aware that this will be our biggest challenge thus far, and significant expertise is required.

My question. Does anyone know of a person living in the SE of Melbourne who is able to provide expert medical advice to the committee please.

Your help would be appreciated

Regards

Kim
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Tim Owen - Saturday, Feb 21, 2009 at 16:44

Saturday, Feb 21, 2009 at 16:44
Kim - I know a bit about the medical fraternity and health system more generally in Gippsland. If you can name the town, or the area more generally - I will, if I'm able, provide a contact from the Gippsland side if in the area I'm familiar with.
AnswerID: 350256

Follow Up By: Kim and Damn Dog - Saturday, Feb 21, 2009 at 17:02

Saturday, Feb 21, 2009 at 17:02
Many thanks Tim

The town is located on Westernport Bay.

What we’re looking for is a person(s) who is familiar with the Federal Governments ‘Area of Need’ and overseas doctor programs.

I’ve had interest from five Doctors but they walk away when they find out the area is classified as metropolitan (which is nonsense).

The area caters for a wide range of travellers and significant boating activity. The town is outside the ambulance response time and therefore needs a medical centre.

Regards

Kim

FollowupID: 618546

Follow Up By: Member - Mark E (VIC) - Saturday, Feb 21, 2009 at 17:59

Saturday, Feb 21, 2009 at 17:59
Kim,

You say the town is outside the ambulance response time. You will need to mention this to any prospective GP's you might have contact with as they will need to be aware that they may be faced with some 'emergency' type cases and many will not be interested in this area - unless they have significant experience in emergency medicine and are willing to be 'on call'. Most GP's will not work on call these days and don't work much outside their practice rooms as a general rule, though there are the odd exceptions.

I don't want to sound negative, but I think you have 'buckleys' of this. My advice would be to arrange some type of CERT team (Community Emergency Response Team) who are trained by the ambulance service and can respond to 'emergencies' in a timely manner and are equipped with appropriate medical equipment suitable for their training. They are usually 'locals' with an interest in first aid and they can 'keep things going' till the ambulance arrives. Serious trauma and/or medical cases would receive assistance from Air Ambulance Helicopters of which the closest to you are located in Essendon or Latrobe Valley. Nearest road MICA unit would be either Warragul, Hampton Park or Frankston.

Good luck with your enterprise.

Cheers,

Mark
FollowupID: 618569

Follow Up By: Kim and Damn Dog - Saturday, Feb 21, 2009 at 22:08

Saturday, Feb 21, 2009 at 22:08
Mark

I haven’t had a great deal to do with the Ambulance service, but understand they work on a fifteen minute response time (might be wrong). The town would be at the very edge of that circumference.

Much of our early design work has been allowing for ambulance access to the proposed medical centre. You bring up some good points which I’ll follow up on.

Regards

Kim
FollowupID: 618623

Reply By: Member - Lionel A (WA) - Sunday, Feb 22, 2009 at 07:29

Sunday, Feb 22, 2009 at 07:29
Hey Kim, heard theres an unemployed doctor over your side of the island. Would probably jump at the chance to practice again.

Think his name is Patel.....lol.

Cheers.......Lionel.
AnswerID: 350343

Sponsored Links