After market temp gauge ?

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 22, 2009 at 08:33
ThreadID: 66182 Views:4878 Replies:6 FollowUps:14
This Thread has been Archived
Mornin' all, Just fitted a new radiator, hoses, belts and thermostat to the MQ Patrol and rather than relying solely on the dash temp gauge, was thinking of adding an after market unit just as an extra precaution.

Looked at a VDO and Smiths unit, both use an electric sender, but remember some gauges used to use the copper bulb and pipe sender units.

Can any one advise me as to a prefered system.

PS. The boss has given the ok for a low water alarm.
I cant write the cheque quick enough....lol.

Cheers.....Lionel.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Sunday, Feb 22, 2009 at 08:45

Sunday, Feb 22, 2009 at 08:45
Get hold of this guy and get an all in one temp /low water about $150

www.enginesaver.com.au

He lives in Ingham so should know a bit about water levels

ROFL

AnswerID: 350353

Reply By: Member - Nick (TAS) - Sunday, Feb 22, 2009 at 09:06

Sunday, Feb 22, 2009 at 09:06
I run two seperate units, that way if one fails I still have another warning device where as if a all in one device fails, you have none.
I run a Aqualert low water alarm and a Engine watch dog TM2 digital temp gauge(with alarm)
AnswerID: 350358

Reply By: Member - Lance S (VIC) - Sunday, Feb 22, 2009 at 11:05

Sunday, Feb 22, 2009 at 11:05
Lionel,

Try Auber Instruments, there in the states, i have just bought a EGT gauge which does 10 different temperature settings, such as oil, water, egt, boost etc, for the gauge and sensor it cost me $153 delivered to my door and its digital.

cheers,

Lance
Home Away from Home

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 350370

Follow Up By: Wazza - (Vic) - Sunday, Feb 22, 2009 at 20:53

Sunday, Feb 22, 2009 at 20:53
Lance, I am just looking at their web site. Did you buy it all direct from them:
FollowupID: 618792

Follow Up By: Member - Lance S (VIC) - Sunday, Feb 22, 2009 at 21:37

Sunday, Feb 22, 2009 at 21:37
Wazza, yep i received it on Friday, it was the $48 gauge and the $36 thermocouple.

cheers,

Lance
Home Away from Home

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 618802

Follow Up By: Wazza - (Vic) - Sunday, Feb 22, 2009 at 21:40

Sunday, Feb 22, 2009 at 21:40
Excellent. How much was postage Lance? .. I am just looking for a suitable probe to use for block/head temp sensor as an alternative to the Engine Watchdog (I already have an EGT Gauge)
FollowupID: 618803

Follow Up By: Member - Lance S (VIC) - Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 16:22

Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 16:22
Wazza, postage was $19.30 for both, but if you are only ordering the thermocouple it will be alot cheaper, there is a zone rate, when ordering, type in country , postcode etc and your delivery price will come up.

cheers,

Lance
Home Away from Home

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 618888

Follow Up By: Charlidees - Tuesday, Mar 03, 2009 at 12:05

Tuesday, Mar 03, 2009 at 12:05
Lance, I've looked up the site you have written about, but can't see if you must use only their products for the extra guages, eg. oil, water etc. Have you asked or found the answers to these questions in your dealings with Auber?

thanks

Troy
FollowupID: 620184

Follow Up By: Member - Chris & Debbie (QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 03, 2009 at 13:34

Tuesday, Mar 03, 2009 at 13:34
I have also just received an egt gauge and probe from Auber Insturments, but I ordered mine off their ebay store $US107.99 delivered. Took about a week.

Chris
Coddiwomple (v.) To travel purposefully towards a vague destination.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message
Classifieds: Codan Envoy HF Radio X1 for sale

FollowupID: 620187

Follow Up By: Wazza - (Vic) - Tuesday, Mar 03, 2009 at 14:13

Tuesday, Mar 03, 2009 at 14:13
Troy, I think the type K, J, etc probes are an industry standard. I am going to look at getting a couple of these ones and try them out with the Auber head unit anyway:

http://www.omega.com/ppt/pptsc.asp?ref=WT&Nav=tema03

Scroll down to the bottom and using the part number builder I will get a K-8-60-blank-blank. Clkick on get price and comes to $12 each. I will order 2 of them, one as spare, or maybe try and rig one up to the gearbox, one to motor.

I am not sure if you can run a number of sensors on the one unit, I think it may be just the one sensor, but it can handle many different types of sensors and you just set it up once for a particular sensor. Clear as mud?
FollowupID: 620192

Follow Up By: Member - Chris & Debbie (QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 03, 2009 at 14:33

Tuesday, Mar 03, 2009 at 14:33
Wazza, I can't see why you couldn't have several sensors going through a rotary switch or similar to switch between sensors. As long as they are all of the same type it shouldnt be a problem.
Chris

FollowupID: 620194

Follow Up By: Wazza - (Vic) - Tuesday, Mar 03, 2009 at 14:40

Tuesday, Mar 03, 2009 at 14:40
Hey Chris, I was thinking the same. You would want to make sure there is no voltage drop over your switch i guess?
FollowupID: 620196

Follow Up By: Member - Chris & Debbie (QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 03, 2009 at 14:47

Tuesday, Mar 03, 2009 at 14:47
Wazza, you should not get any drop across the switch but you would have to make sure the switch was as close as possible to the gauge as the probe leads are a set length and should not be varied, thats how I understand it anyway.

FollowupID: 620197

Follow Up By: Wazza - (Vic) - Tuesday, Mar 03, 2009 at 15:22

Tuesday, Mar 03, 2009 at 15:22
Guys, I just got the following reply to a couple of questions from Auber. :

First, you need to understant the difference between resolution and accuracy. Accuracy of 0.5 C over 100 C range can be quiet expensive. Here is the options for sensor
1) K type thermocouple sensor. Resolution, 1 C, accuracy, 2-3C. It is cheap for short calbe. Less than $15 for 2 meter cable. But longer cable become expensive. It needs special cable.
2) Pt100 RTD sensor. Resolution, 0.1C. Accuracy <1C without calibration. <0.3C with calibration. Minimum price about $15-20. It is easy to get a longer cable (it use regular copper wire, three conductor).
3) Thermistor sensor. Resolution, 0.1C, Accuracy 1-2C. It can be made very accurate. But right now, our meter can only read one type for 50C to 150C only. It can be very cheap or very expensive depending on the qty. The reliability is not as good as 1) and 2).

I think option 2 is more close to your requirement. Do you know what type sensor is used on the meter of that link?

You can use a switch to select different sensors. However, that will introduce some error. The thermocouple is most tricky for that. For the RTD, you need to have a switch with good conductivity and being able to switch three wire at a time. It is doable.

FollowupID: 620200

Follow Up By: Member - Lance S (VIC) - Tuesday, Mar 03, 2009 at 15:27

Tuesday, Mar 03, 2009 at 15:27
G'day all,

After speaking with Auber an number of times about there gauges etc, they told me that the gauges are set up for a number of different pressures, gauges only, other bits and pieces, vaccum hose etc, you will have to buy elsewhere. The gauge has minimun warning and maximun warning light/buzzer.

You can use one gauge for all.
However, you can only read one at a time.
It will take you at least 2 minutes to reset all the settings for a different sensor.

That reply above was from Auber in the last couple of minutes.

cheers

Lance
Home Away from Home

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 620202

Follow Up By: Thermoguard Instruments - Monday, Mar 09, 2009 at 10:25

Monday, Mar 09, 2009 at 10:25
Hi All,

A bit of information on using multiple thermocouple sensors with one digital temperature gauge:

. A type-K thermocouple can give adequate accuracy for coolant/engine block temperatures around 100 C. The specified accuracy for industial Class II type-K thermocouples complying with international standard ITS-90 is +/- 2.2 C or 0.75%, whichever is greater (pretty much what Auber have said).

However, most T/Cs are much better than this and it is usually possible with digital gauges to 'trim' the reading, to calibrate it to a particular thermocouple. That is, put the thermocouple into vigorously boiling clean water (~100 C at sea level) and trim the gauge to read exactly 100 C. This should give you a long-term accuracy of about +/- 0.5 C in this temp range.

. You can display multiple type-K inputs (say, EGT and coolant) on one display unit if it's done properly. Terminate the ends of each thermcouple onto a small terminal strip AS CLOSE AS POSSIBLE to the input terminals of the digital gauge - preferrably touching the case of the gauge. This is necessary, as the gauge will have a "cold junction compensation" sensor very near its input terminals. As long as all the thermocouple wires are terminated very close to (and hopefully at the same temperature as) this CJC sensor, no measurement errors will be introduced.

From this terminal strip you can then run ordinary light-duty copper wires to and from you selector switch elsewhere on the dashboard.

. You may find the digital gauge has a lot of inherent damping and it takes quite a long time for the reading to 'ramp' from, say, EGT at ~500 C down to coolant at ~95 C when you switch inputs. If so, you may have to wire the 12V supply for the gauge via your selector switch so that the power supply is momentarily interrupted when switching inputs. This way the gauge will re-start and immediately display the new input.

Email me if you'd like more details.

PS: I can't buy Australian-made thermocouples, even in bulk, at anywhere near the Auber sell price. Hope they don't last very long (only kidding...)
FollowupID: 621214

Reply By: happytravelers - Sunday, Feb 22, 2009 at 11:31

Sunday, Feb 22, 2009 at 11:31
I've just this week fitted an engine watch dog TM2 system, very simple to install as the sensor just picks up an existing bolt on the thermostat housing. It gives a constant temp. readout updated every two seconds and you can set the alarm to activate at what temp. you want, usually 5-10 degrees above your cars max operating temp. They're made in Brisbane and so far I'm very happy with it.

Regards Jon
AnswerID: 350374

Follow Up By: On Patrol & TONI - Sunday, Feb 22, 2009 at 15:49

Sunday, Feb 22, 2009 at 15:49
Ditto
I fitted mine last week + it has an additional oil light warning also. Easy to fit and gives an audible warning. All of this for $149 for the full kit. Also a nice guy to deal with.

Engine Watchdog
FollowupID: 618729

Reply By: Richard Kovac - Sunday, Feb 22, 2009 at 21:51

Sunday, Feb 22, 2009 at 21:51
Lionel

have you been to Aisat Instruments
what you are after is a capillary type temp gauge.

Cheers

Richard
AnswerID: 350500

Reply By: Member - Lionel A (WA) - Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 07:18

Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 07:18
Thankyou Gentlemen,

More food for thought, may hold off on the cheque for now.

Cheers......Lionel.
AnswerID: 350528

Sponsored Links