South Australia

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 22, 2009 at 19:07
ThreadID: 66199 Views:2522 Replies:10 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

Considering travelling through SA for 3 mths in 2010. Was thinking of further afield but am narrowing it down.

Thinking of 3mths between Feb and May.

Will be mainly doing outback travel unless we find it easy to cover the whole of SA in 3mths.

Guess I'm after advice on:

How much of SA will I see in 3mths?
Suggested must sees, outback destinations first?
Any suggested touring routes most welcome?

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Feb 22, 2009 at 19:38

Sunday, Feb 22, 2009 at 19:38
Austravel
In 3 months, you will get to see all that out great state has to offer.
Seeing that you are starting still in the hottest months of the year, do not worry, as you will be able to start at the bottom end of our state and work your way north and west.
As hot as it gets in most of the state, the South-east at that time of the year will be perfect. Start around Mount Gambier, and slowly work your way north, Robe is a great spot and some good 4x4 tracks in that area.
Work you way up through the Riverland, then over to the west coast and places like Googs Track and the short but very rewarding Buckleboo Stock Route. By that time things will be cooling down, and you can get to see some great places up in the Flinders and then further north, even doing the Simpson.
Sure we might be the driest state, in the driest continent of the work, but our state has a lot to offer.

Enjoy your planning, as it is a big state.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 350470

Reply By: Member - GREENDOG - Sunday, Feb 22, 2009 at 19:49

Sunday, Feb 22, 2009 at 19:49
I would suggest you look at the southern part of Sth Auss in the early part of the year such as Mt Gambier and the coast line to Adelaide, vist Victor Harbour as it is a very nice place in the summer, as is PT Linclon as well,Yorke Pennisula any were from Kadina,Wallaroo,Moonta,PT Hughes near Moonta is a very nice place to base your self for a couple of days,Do the southin part of the state in the hotter months then as it calls down head nth to the Flinders,Leave the Flinder's till May it will be cooler up there then and more enjoyable.cheer's GREENDOG
AnswerID: 350473

Reply By: Member - GREENDOG - Sunday, Feb 22, 2009 at 19:57

Sunday, Feb 22, 2009 at 19:57
I forgot to mention our beautiful Clare valley and Barossa valley,the great Riverland area,
AnswerID: 350476

Reply By: bordertrek - Sunday, Feb 22, 2009 at 22:42

Sunday, Feb 22, 2009 at 22:42
You'll see most of it in 3 months.
Definitely work your way around the coast first if starting in Febuary!
Use Mt Gambier as a base for a few days, see the craters, caves and ponds, Coonawarra Wineries, Pt McDonnell, then work your way up the coast on the beach from Carpenters Rocks, through Canunda Nat Park, Beachport>Little Dip Cons Park>Robe>Kingston>Coorong surf coast and Nat Park (can drive most of the beaches from Carpenters to the Murray Mouth)>Across the ferry near Tailem Bend>through Wellington to Goolwa>Victor Harbour>Cape Jervious>Deep Creek Nat Park>Kangaroo Island>Adelaide>Barrossa Valley>Riverland>Clare Valley>Flinders Ranges>Arkaroola>Outback>Pt Augusta>Great Australian Bight>back through the Eyre Peninsula coast drive>York Peninsula>Adelaide>Pinnaroo>the classic Border Track (reopens March after fire season)>Bordertown>Home?
Thats how I'd attack it and all do-able in 3 months without rushing it.
cheers.
AnswerID: 350505

Reply By: Brian Purdue - Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 08:46

Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 08:46
My guess is that you will see less than you will miss. I started out to have a look around W.A. nearly four years ago. I still have to go north of Marble Bar and east of Bulong.
I had a mate who went "around Australia" in three weeks. He was able to inform me that the white line down the middle of the road is not continous.
Enjoy yourself. You will have a great time.
Brian Purdue
AnswerID: 350536

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 15:21

Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 15:21
I love it Brian. So many people think kilometres travelled is seeing the place. I think it is cheaper and more relaxing to spend the time in one chosen state and see and experience it.

Our plan is set an approximate direction, take our time, respond to what we learn along the way, and around half way through the time, take a different route home. We may get further than expected, or not so far, but we enjoy and see the place in a relaxing manner, without burning a tank of diesel a day.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 618874

Reply By: Austravel - Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 09:06

Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 09:06
Thanks very much for the tips. I'll put all the ideas together and see what it looks like. Might if you don't mind start the thread up again much latter on when I've got a plan put together to see if locals can run their eye over it.

Didn't realise I'd get enough time to check out the coastal areas as well but that's a bonus.
AnswerID: 350541

Reply By: Motherhen - Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 15:16

Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 15:16
Austravel, I think SA is the most under rated state when it comes to tourism. We have only spent little more than few weeks there over three trips. Most of the state is a desert, and the people are amazing.

We travelled in April and January. In January it was hot inland, but we spent much of the time on the Eyre Peninsular where it was often cold on the coast (just a few days after the big Port Lincoln Fire). We also loved the Gawler Ranges and Granite Country.

We loved the Eyre Peninsular and Northern Flinders Ranges, inland around Marree and Woomera, as well as the 'wetter' areas around the Murray (may be different now), Fleurieu Peninsular which is actually green, and of course Mt Gambier. The Tantanoola Cave is a fascinating tiny cave worth visiting, with delicate 'straws'. The fossil cave an Naracoorte is also worth a visit.

A lot more to see yet, like further inland, as well as the Yorke Peninsular.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 350581

Reply By: Austravel - Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 20:13

Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 20:13
I'm actually looking forward to planning this trip, more so now after the responses.

One thing I did forget to say is that I'll be towing a camper so gather there will be some places that are not suitable. I'll put together a trip plan in the coming months and get back to everyone here to get a view.

We're pretty capable drivers and vehicle and camper are set up pretty well. Are there any places that are simply off the list due to towing?????
AnswerID: 350656

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 20:27

Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 20:27
Check out:

South Australia Tourist Bureau

They will post out all the brochures you want for nothing.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 350661

Reply By: Bricky - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 03:29

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 03:29
Have to agree with Motherhen, "SA is the most under rated state". As a kid we thought SA was a place you drove through to go somewhere. We now live here in Coffin Bay and love it, some of the best beaches and national parks in the country.
AnswerID: 350701

Sponsored Links