Oil spray bath for Fraser Island ???

In the post below is mentioned the oil spray bath for vehicles heading over to Fraser Is.

Do most people use this??? Is it a good idea???? and would you do it to a new car???

Are there any reasons NOT to do it???

Thanks crew.
Andrew
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mikell - Saturday, Aug 16, 2003 at 18:02

Saturday, Aug 16, 2003 at 18:02
I have been to Fraser 5 times in the last 10 years. I have always had my GQ sprayed underneath with oil before every trip and washed off with a high pressure cleaner when back. Also had the car washed down with a kerosine wash.

One of the hire 4WD places in Hervey Bay does it. Costs approx $20. They do it to all their hire vehicles so I figured if they do it it must help (hopefully).

Not a sign of rust in the body or underneath on my GQ to this day.

If you do the kero wash make sure you wash and polish your vehicle when you get home. Kerp takes everything off.
AnswerID: 28112

Reply By: Member - Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, Aug 16, 2003 at 19:48

Saturday, Aug 16, 2003 at 19:48
There's underbody washes at Hervey Bay and Rainbow Beach...In short ... USE THEM before and after Fraser, I also sprayed underneath with fishoilene before I went just to live with the smell on every exposed bolt/bit of metal and havent had any rust since I returned six months ago.

Money well spent them underbody thingysSo many places to go!
So much work to do :0(
AnswerID: 28118

Reply By: Prado Boy - Sunday, Aug 17, 2003 at 12:31

Sunday, Aug 17, 2003 at 12:31
G'day Andrew,

I live in the Brisbane area and visit Fraser, Moreton, Stradbroke and the mainland (Cooloola) sections of Great Sandy NP fairly regularly. When I got the Prado I had it rust treated (the spray on stuff) but also added Electronic Rust Protection (ERPS - fitted by ARB with 6 points). I also use a spray on called Lanotec (which you can get at Mitre 10 Stores or from the factory in Rocklea in Brisbane) which is made from Lonolin oil (extracted from Wool). Lanotec costs about $22 a litre and about 1.5 to 2 litres will cover the underbody of most 4WD's.

I have had no problems with rust on the Prado - and it visits the beach VERY regularly. Put simply - the combination of the 3 is great. ERPS especially is worth its weight in gold and I'd thoroughly recommend it. Lanotec is easy to apply and I use it as an added layer of protection for the underbody of the Prado.

Note - you should clean the underside of your 4WD both before and after visiting any of the beaches or sand island areas. Just to be on the safe side. And it ensures you don't introduce any foreign matter into these NP areas too.

Enjoy Fraser - it's magic!
AnswerID: 28179

Follow Up By: Andrew(WA) - Sunday, Aug 17, 2003 at 18:13

Sunday, Aug 17, 2003 at 18:13
PB

How much for the ARB ERPS????

And does the Lanotec come in a spray can or do you have to put into something the spray on???

cheers
Andrew
FollowupID: 19519

Follow Up By: Prado Boy - Sunday, Aug 17, 2003 at 23:10

Sunday, Aug 17, 2003 at 23:10
G'day Andrew,

ERPS from ARB depends on how many (contact) points you get with the system. Most ERPS outlets recommend 4 contact points for a 4WD Wagon the size of a Prado or a Jackaroo - and 6 or more for a Patrol or Landcruiser. I went for 6 on the Prado cause I knew it would be up the beach a lot. Cost me about $600 from memory - but worth every single damn penny!

Lanotec comes in 1Ltr cans at about $22 each, without a spray unit - and can be sprayed on with a regular garden spray unit (like you would use to spray the weeds in your garden). It's very easy to apply - apply it liberally to all underbody parts on your 4WD, then about 4 days later take her for a short spin (10 K's or so) on a dusty dirt road. Lanotec is sticky - so it picks up the dust and creates a layer on the bottom of your 4WD which helps to prevent salt intrusion.

Even after all these measures - I avoid driving through salt water whenever possible. And I always wash the Prado before and after going to one of our gorgeous Sandy areas (such as Fraser Is. or Moreton Is.).

Hope this helps. Any more Q's let me know and I'll help out as best I can.
FollowupID: 19557

Follow Up By: Prado Boy - Sunday, Aug 17, 2003 at 23:21

Sunday, Aug 17, 2003 at 23:21
Couple more things while I think of them.

By "wash the Prado" I mean with a good quality high pressure cleaning system. I use the local car washes in Tewantin or Brisbane the same day I get off the beach - then at home I use a Staun Massojet 900 to get into all the nooks and crannies. I also sit the Prado over a sprinkler for 30 minutes or so after doing that - great way to water the lawn (and it's about the only time it gets watered too!).

If you have a Gerni or similar - use it when you get back. If not then the Massojet is great for getting into things like chassis rails and cross members, suspension components and above fuel tanks and under the various bash plates etc. Cheap to at only $40 or so - fits on a regular hose and provides plenty of pressure which you can control.
FollowupID: 19561

Follow Up By: colin - Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 14:42

Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 14:42
if you have your vehicle rust proofed it is not advisable to use high pressure cleaners as this blasts the proofing off. The best way to clean underneath is volume of water not pressure, and the sprinkler is a good idea. Col
FollowupID: 19590

Follow Up By: Prado Boy - Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 20:50

Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 20:50
G'day Colin,

Yeah - I know. I didn't find the rust proofing that I bought with the vehicle to be all that effective - and for the $450 I spent on it I thought it was a complete rip off. Hence I bought the Electronic Rust Protection (ERPS) and use high pressure + soaking when I get back from the beach. If necessary I just apply more Lanotec (a few days) before heading up the beach.

I find this combination (ERPS + Lanotec prior then high pressure cleaning and soaking afterwards) works the best. The Prado doesn't have a spec of rust on it - not bad considering how much it goes up the beach. So I must be doing something right.

Cheers mate.
FollowupID: 19632

Reply By: ThePublican - Sunday, Aug 17, 2003 at 12:31

Sunday, Aug 17, 2003 at 12:31
Some use the oil wash at Rainbow and swear by its benifits,, others ,myself included would NOT ever use the system again,, the system uses recycled water at very high pressure,,literally forces sand and salt into every nook and cranny,,best is to use an electronic rust prevention system ,,cheap in the long run.
AnswerID: 28180

Reply By: Member - Oskar(Bris) - Sunday, Aug 17, 2003 at 14:06

Sunday, Aug 17, 2003 at 14:06
Nothing is as effective as spending a couple of hours under the car (up on ramps)with a hose.
You can generally flush most the salt out with a quick wash but it's all the sand that builds up in corners and crevices of the chassis and panels that will cause corrosion eventually. Wet roads will just keep those pockets of sand moist and stop them from drying out.
I have been doing Fraser for over 20 years and I spend nearly 2 hrs after each visit flushing every nook and cranny. Never had a rust problem.
I have been using my current vehicle on the beach 2 or 3 times a year for over 3 years and still have no rust.
I have never used the oil-spray or washes at Rainbow or Tewantin.
I use chemical and electronic rust prevention as well.
If you're not thorough it will cost you.
AnswerID: 28187

Reply By: Dan - Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 20:45

Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 20:45
I have been told that these Pre & Post beach washes use recirculated soluable oil & water, when you consider how many people use these washes, you would hope they have pretty good filters & water purifiers, otherwise the salt content would probably be twenty times higher than driving in the surf, food for thought, i've been going to Fraser for years & i use an ERPS on my 91 Pajero, between the ERPS & a good wash & polish after the beach i have no signs of rust.
Dan.
AnswerID: 31162

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)