Defective ?? brake shoes on Supreme Caravan?

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 22, 2009 at 19:22
ThreadID: 66200 Views:2483 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Evenin' all.
Just been checkin' the brakes on my Supreme Spirit tandem axle van. LHS wheels, bearings and shoes both about 50%, acceptable for another trip. However, on both RHS wheels the leading brake shoe has become unglued from the steel shoe and floating loose. Not a real safe state of affairs !! Van is a 2001 model with G&N chassis rated at 2900 kg GTM. Brakes are 254 x 57mm and appear to be original fit.
Has anyone else had this problem?

Ian
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: David N. - Sunday, Feb 22, 2009 at 19:54

Sunday, Feb 22, 2009 at 19:54
Almost certainly due to overheating at some stage, and not at all uncommon.
If they are original from 2001 they have done pretty well.

Cheers
AnswerID: 350475

Reply By: disco driver - Sunday, Feb 22, 2009 at 23:18

Sunday, Feb 22, 2009 at 23:18
Hi Ian,
Any reputable brake service centre should be able to supply and fit new linings to your brakes.
Don't stuff about, do all the shoes on the brake system.
It's not worth only doing one shoe as an economy measure.

Apart from overheating, another cause of the lining separating is lack of use, allowing moisture to penetrate and break down the bonding glue.

I had this happen on my recently purchased Landrover series 3.
It had been up on blocks for about 8 years before I bought it.
Brakes lasted less than 100km before they lost about 75% of their efficiency (and on a Series 3 that doesn't leave you with much braking power).
On removing the drums I found all shoes had lost the linings and braking was just the friction between the shoes and the linings and a bit between the linings and the brakedrums.

Hope this helps.

Disco.
AnswerID: 350514

Follow Up By: Member - Julie P (VIC) - Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 09:02

Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 09:02
Had the same problem when we bought our "new" second hand" Coromal - the guy hadn[t used it very much it did a lot of sitting around - though I wouldn't put it past him to have driven with the handbrake on - John took the wheels off to check the brakes, when he took the cover thingy off - one shoe just fell off - local brake shoe place sold him some new ones - replaced the lot - pretty reasonably - and all is fine.
jules
FollowupID: 618833

Sponsored Links