navigation

Submitted: Saturday, Aug 16, 2003 at 17:01
ThreadID: 6621 Views:3352 Replies:5 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi ya all,
well i am close to be fitted out and finshed now onto the navigation gear i have already intalled a UHF as i knew what i wanted and needed in that regard, but now am about to undertake the rest of the job ie HF, Sat phone and gps and or lap top would love all 3 in one unit not only is it hard to sort out but also hard to find room, i require a systime that works both in Aussie and NZ as we are off to NZ for 6 months on the 1st Nov in regard to the GPS i need a in car one with the abiliaty to have hand held to find our way back to the truck we could travel up to 5k in either direction (fishing rivers ) also need it to show all tracks etc and be able to plan trips and have detail as in an ordance survey map not to concerned about a street directory, also want it to be an emerncy set up and be able to send and recieve emails does anyone know of a systime that does all that.
So far have fitted the below to our GU Patrol TI 4.6 and all has gone well
ARB Bull Bar, warn 9000 winch, Twine Shower, ARB front & rear lockers, long rang fuel tank, under bonnet comprssor, UHF Radio, Kaymen rear bar, rear wheel swing mount, Jerry can swing mount, OME Springs & Nitro Shocks, Black Widow _Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx, self made bed extension, Fire extinquiser, ARB recovery gear, ARB roof Rack Duel batteries, sound treatment under side, rust protection, steal rims with BGF 275/70R16 AT Tires, Brake controller, and have at last placed our order for our off road camper, and expect it the 2 week of September.
We took delivery of the Partol on the 11th July so i have been really busy in that time.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mick - Saturday, Aug 16, 2003 at 23:06

Saturday, Aug 16, 2003 at 23:06
Just think if you'd bought a Cruiser instead of a Partol (is that a Russian 4wd?) you wouldn't have neede to do all that modifying - just add the communications and you're ready for anything!
AnswerID: 28135

Follow Up By: 10 Para - Sunday, Aug 17, 2003 at 08:46

Sunday, Aug 17, 2003 at 08:46
Yeah thought about that but would not go the places that this one will also would have had to do the same, the Tonka was good 10 years ago now a little soft.
FollowupID: 19489

Follow Up By: diamond (bendigo) - Sunday, Aug 17, 2003 at 18:23

Sunday, Aug 17, 2003 at 18:23
yeh right ready to go anywhere.
so long as it was not off road :-))—~‘¬‘¥•s’B
FollowupID: 19520

Follow Up By: Fred - Sunday, Aug 17, 2003 at 23:20

Sunday, Aug 17, 2003 at 23:20
When you eventually go off road ... and i don't mean just up the bush, have a look around!! And try counting makes and models.
FollowupID: 19560

Reply By: Member - Bob - Sunday, Aug 17, 2003 at 12:20

Sunday, Aug 17, 2003 at 12:20
Have a look at Sat-Trak which is promoted on this site. http://www.exploroz.com.au/Vehicle/Sat.asp It might be the thing for you as it incorporartes GPS navigation, email. The alternative is to get a basic handheld GPS and plug it into a laptop using Oziexplorer software. Some satphones enable slow data transfer as well, so plugging this into the laptop would cover basic email requirements. So you would end up with a laptop plus two removable peripherals (both satphone and GPS able to work independantly as well as plugged into laptop). Expensive, but not too bulky. I imagine NZ would have maps comparable to the Auslig 1: 250,000 series which Oziexplorer reads.Bob
AnswerID: 28177

Follow Up By: 10 Para - Sunday, Aug 17, 2003 at 16:14

Sunday, Aug 17, 2003 at 16:14
Thanks for that bob have you heard anything about astral electronics www.astralelectronics.com.au they have a in car computer called E3 minibook its also avalable with OziExplorer and gps could be the thing
FollowupID: 19515

Follow Up By: Member - Bob - Sunday, Aug 17, 2003 at 19:43

Sunday, Aug 17, 2003 at 19:43
I haven't heard of them, but its a simple thing to set up youself. A second hand laptop will perform adequately, and will obviously be a lot cheaper. A bottom spec Garmin or Magellan GPS will cost 200 to 300 dollars. Laptop $700. OziExp software $130. Maps of Oz on CD $90. Cable for GPS about $90. Car adaptor or inverter to run laptop up to $200.Bob
FollowupID: 19533

Reply By: 10 Para - Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 09:48

Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 09:48
Hi Bob might try that as already have the lap top and will need the other stuff which ever way i go so will be no loss, did not mean to start a war back there just wanted to let the guy's on the site know how i was going ( could be a help to some other guy trying to get up and going ) have already been round aussie 3 times and took over 8 years doing it so have seen a bit that was back a few years ago though started in 1965 with Zepher Zodiac then Austin Champ and finished with Land Rover in 1973 no tourists and not much black top out there then but was young, thanks for your help Bob.
AnswerID: 28267

Reply By: Niko - Thursday, Aug 21, 2003 at 23:47

Thursday, Aug 21, 2003 at 23:47
I think the Sat Phone is a little bit over the top. HF, fine, GPS fine, UHF radio, fine, taking me with you, even better! However, consider an Epirb. Emergency Beacons would be my first choice for emergencies. Sat Phone, well, at $2,500 each, a bit expensive for that one phone call for help. HF should really do the trick in that instance. The Epirb cost is around the $250 mark. But also remember the current epirbs at that price range will only continue until around Jan 2009. Epirbs need to be exchanged every 5 years. The exchange price is a little over half price of a new one, that's assuming you know it is a GME Epirb that I am talking about here.

Just as a pointer, UHF frequencies in NZ are different to Australia. In other words don't bother using your Aussie 40 channel in Kiwi Land.
AnswerID: 28683

Follow Up By: 10 Para - Friday, Aug 22, 2003 at 11:42

Friday, Aug 22, 2003 at 11:42
Hi Niko does the Epirb work in NZ as well, i was told that the GME Electrophone TX3400 did work over there thanks for that bit of info will get hold of them to check, if you can fish you would be welcome its a great place to spend the summer.
FollowupID: 19965

Follow Up By: Niko - Friday, Aug 22, 2003 at 12:35

Friday, Aug 22, 2003 at 12:35
Emergency Beacons of all brands work along the coast of every continent world wide. It covers Australia and New Zealand. However the only spot it doesn't cover is Africa coastal south of the equator. So, if your going around the cape, it won't be picked up by the satellites. However, all boaties covering the cape use the $1,800 version which works on a different frequency than the $250 unit.

I must correct myself, it is the 27Mhz CB that is different not UHF. So, in other words, do bother with using your Aussie 40 channel in kiwi land.

frequencies are note at links below.

land freq

https://secure2.vivid-design.com.au/jaycar/images_uploaded/nzmarine.pdf
FollowupID: 19974

Reply By: 10 Para - Friday, Aug 22, 2003 at 13:54

Friday, Aug 22, 2003 at 13:54
Just back from lunch, thanks Niko thought it did that will save me a call.
AnswerID: 28733

Sponsored Links