Floodwaters to reach Lake Eyre today (23Feb09)

Submitted: Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 09:41
ThreadID: 66212 Views:3423 Replies:6 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Recently there has been numerous requests for info on the subject of water reaching Lake Eyre. Here is the latest info on the subject : News Report
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Ed. C. (QLD) - Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 10:26

Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 10:26
Interesting interview with Trevor Wright there as well..

Thanks for posting

:)

Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 350551

Reply By: Member - Jinki & Harry - Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 15:29

Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 15:29
Does this mean there is water across Walkers Crossing? as we have been led to believe for Lake Eyre to have water in it, water would be flowing at Walkers Crossing. Can anyone confirm this please?

Thanks
Jinki
Jinki & Harry enjoying !!!!!

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 350584

Follow Up By: Willem - Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 16:31

Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 16:31
Hi Jinki and Harry

I understand that the Cooper Creek water hasn't reached Coongie Lakes yet so, Walkers Crossing should still be open.

Warburton Crossing(Warburton Creek which runs into Lake Eyre) on the way to the Rig Road will under water though

Cheers
FollowupID: 618891

Follow Up By: Member - Jinki & Harry - Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 16:51

Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 16:51
Thanks Willem - this grey haired young gal wasn't looking at the map properly!! Remembered last year when we passed through Walkers Crossing, someone saying water had to be there first before going into Lake Eyre! We live on the Great Ocean Road and wish some of the water in the north could have reached us!

Cheers
Jinki

FollowupID: 618899

Follow Up By: Member - Tony B (Malanda FNQ) - Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 18:42

Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 18:42
Jinki & Harry - Wish I could send you some of ours. We have had 1350mm since Jan 1st. Still raining too. :-) Get bogged walking now! Cheers Tony
FollowupID: 618925

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 19:08

Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 19:08
I was chatting yesterday to someone who works in the gas fields. He said they are not expecting the water in Cooper Creek to go any further than Kudrimitchie at this stage. Need a lot more to make it reach Coongie and Walkers crossing is downstream so is not likely to flood.
FollowupID: 618931

Follow Up By: Member - Jinki & Harry - Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 22:33

Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 22:33
Hi Tony, Lucky you, all that water - guess you are sick of being bogged. We have family living in Cairns so are kept up to date with rainfall etc. Used the last of our garden tank water this week, so have to be very frugal now.

Our rural area was green although dry underneath, however, now extremely tinder dry, lots of dead trees and undergrowth, that has not been allowed by "them" to be removed!! Late this afternoon lightning started a forest fire just a few kms west of us. At this moment the winds are blowing from the south west and not too strong hopefully it will stay that way during the night although we are ready with our few treasures to head to a cleared beach area if need be. We continue to pray for rain! There doesn't seem to be any sign of any significant rain coming our way in the near future.

Hope you dry out soon.
Cheers
Jinki

FollowupID: 618999

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 22:35

Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 22:35
Hi Jinki and Harry - how are you? No, there is no water in Walkers Crossing and not expecting any (not without rain anyway).
Here is last Thursday's photo of the water -
Image Could Not Be Found
FollowupID: 619000

Follow Up By: Member - Jinki & Harry - Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 22:48

Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 22:48
Hello Ruth - Happy New Year to you and Ian.

Thanks for the map detail. I asked the question of Walkers Crossing as per my note, which of course has answered.
Are you out at Birdsville yet? or are the roads still cut? We had been planning on heading up there after our two weeks stay at Milparinka, however think with the fire activity continuing here in Victoria, we may head straight back home. If only the Govt could somehow channel some of that huge amount of water in FNQ to the southern shores.

Take care
Jinki

FollowupID: 619004

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 19:12

Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 19:12
Another splash in the lake. Pity there won't be enough to see it from Halligans Bay or Level Post bay, so you'll have to hop on one of Trevor Wright's planes to see it.

The shoreline is fairly steep on the western side of the Babbage Peninsula But to access it is a few hours drive on private property.
AnswerID: 350641

Follow Up By: Crackles - Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 22:00

Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 22:00
Gaday Phil. I think your assesment that there will only be a splash in it this year not viewable by 4x4 will be pretty right. It takes several floods down different rivers to get the level in the Lake high enough & as yet there's not that much water on it's way down. The local rain that fell eariler in the year appears to have all but dried up with the water in the Cooper unlikely to make it without further rain fall.
Cheers Craig...................
FollowupID: 618990

Reply By: Member - Jinki & Harry - Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 22:37

Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 22:37
Hi all - it seems the info we were given was not quite right. Must admit when looking at the map, it is a huge area to have to flood before water can get anywhere near Walkers Crossing. Thanks for all comments.

Cheers
Jinki

AnswerID: 350687

Reply By: Member - Jinki & Harry - Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 22:37

Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 22:37
Hi all - it seems the info we were given was not quite right. Must admit when looking at the map, it is a huge area to have to flood before water can get anywhere near Walkers Crossing. Thanks for all comments.

Cheers
Jinki

AnswerID: 350688

Reply By: Member - Welshmun (QLD) - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 02:55

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 02:55
A page on the Lake Eyre Yacht Club site is a good indicator.
Click on

Lake Eyre Status

Doug & Dog
Bone Diggers
We Tweet(ed) @DougandDog
"nobody said it had to be fair" (my Dad)

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 350918

Sponsored Links