Caravan Blue Slip - Albury

Submitted: Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 09:50
ThreadID: 66213 Views:5430 Replies:5 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
We are to collect a new caravan from a Melbourne manufacturer.

The original delivery date of late April early May would have allowed us to tow it back to Sydney, do the Blue Slip bit, put plates on it and let madam play "house" and get everything sorted.

The manufacturer has pushed our delivery date back to the point that we will be well into my annual leave when we take delivery The van will be handed over with a Victorian "Unregistered Vehicle Permit" which basically allows me to bring it back to Sydney by the most direct route. If I do that I will have next to no annual leave left.

Would an Albury local please be kind enough to recommend an "easy to get in and out of" Inspection Station around the border area. This will be my first at towing a van as against a tent trailer so I would like to avoid tight premises.

If we can get rego organised around the border rather than coming all the way back to Sydney we may just get to use our new van a little before I have to go back to work.

Ian
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Richard H (NSW) - Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 10:10

Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 10:10
This a real pain isn't it.

I purchased a van in Mildura, and I was given an unregistered vehicle permit, for Victoria only. The one and only inspection station in N.S.W. opposite couldn't do the inspection for a couple of days, so he missed out on the business, and I took a chance & towed the vehicle home to BHQ.

I then had to go an get a blue slip here, and the mechanic crawled all over the bloody thing. A brand new van!

This is nonsense, why can't a brand new caravan be accepted as roadworthy, like a motor vehicle?

When Greiner was Premier of this state he claimed that he had effectively ceased all of this NSW -v- Vic -v- Qld garbage.

Dick
AnswerID: 350548

Reply By: Member - reggy 2 (VIC) - Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 11:22

Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 11:22
Hi Ian

Try NEWPOWER MOTORS PH 0260215869 they are in same street as motor REGISTRATION BRANCH
CHEERS REGGY2
AnswerID: 350552

Follow Up By: Member - Ian W (NSW) - Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 12:17

Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 12:17
Reggy2,

Brilliant mate, thats the sort of thing I was hoping to find. A blue slip inspection staion in close proximity to the RTA.

Thanks heaps.

Ian
FollowupID: 618852

Reply By: _gmd_pps - Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 13:01

Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 13:01
Cancel the order if you have the right contract and order another one next year. If the manufacturer has a clause for that in the contract you should never sign a contract like that again. Usually the grace period is two weeks after that I would refuse delivery.
good luck
gmd
AnswerID: 350561

Follow Up By: Member - Ian W (NSW) - Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 20:47

Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 20:47
gmd,
Cancelling the order should I have the "right" contract or not does not do a lot as far as having a caravan holiday this year.

P.S.

Can you forward a couple of "right" contracts so that I know what I should be looking at.

Ian
FollowupID: 618965

Reply By: GUJim - Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 15:14

Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 15:14
It's a bit naughty, but if you have a co-operative relative or friend (that you trust) living in Victoria, you wouldn't be the first to be towing a victorian registered van behind a NSW registered vehicle. And it's cheaper in Vic too.
AnswerID: 350580

Follow Up By: Member - Ian W (NSW) - Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 20:56

Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 20:56
GUJIm,

Yeah mate, know it's a little bit naughty and the manufacturer offered to do something along that line which only delays the need to register in NSW and adds to the overall cost.

No I don't have a single relative in Vic and at the moment I 'm thinking that's not bad. (Apologies to our Vic Members).

Ian.
FollowupID: 618968

Reply By: Motherhen - Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 15:34

Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 15:34
Hi Ian

We purchased our van second hand in Qld, and registered it using the residential address of the people we stayed with as ours. We then had to get it inspected and re-registered in WA after we got home. At least we were fully covered driving home.

If they have already delayed the expected delivery date, it well may happen again and you still won't get it for your holidays. I would get a contract signed giving a guaranteed delivery date that suits you or money back. What is the brand? Do you know why there are delays? In the present economic climate i would expect a sound manufacturer to be falling all over you to please.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 350585

Follow Up By: Member - Ian W (NSW) - Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 21:23

Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 21:23
Hi Motherhen,

Have followed your posts on a number of forums but never expected to have a reply or reply to you.

Probably a bit hard for me to use the business address of the manufacturer to register the van. Even if I did it would not help me, only add to the overall cost.

Insurance is not a problem, NRMA will insure me from the minute I tow out the door, just as they did with the Camper Trailer I bought in Vic. and towed home on an unregistered vehicle permit.

As far as the delivery date is concerned the dealer quoted "late April/early May" on our signed contract. We are now talking May 18th. which could be argued to be mid May. Not great period of time in the history of the universe but enough to upset "her" and I as it oly leaves eleven days out of the only annual leave I get for 2009.

I'm not looking for ways to get out of the contract or to knife the manufacturer just some suggestions to help us achieve the most streamlined result when we do get our van.

The manufacturerer has been in the industry for many years and has a reputation for building a long lasting quality van which they sell directly out of their factory.

Strangely enough the manufactureres of quality "full custom built" vans are actually seeing an increase on their order books whereas the "churn em out" manufaturers appear to be doing it tough.

Just as an aside, Melbourne van outlets I'm told, are moving any number of vans to those requiring replacement housing following the tragic fires in South East Victoria.

I'm not, at this point ready to get extremely heavy with my manufacturer because at the moment I'm prepared to accept that they are trying to supply vans to those who need somewhere to live.

Mind you! If I suspect otherwise then I will be more than happy to name them on this and other forums with days, dates, times and email and phone transcripts.

Ian
FollowupID: 618986

Follow Up By: Member - Ian W (NSW) - Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 21:27

Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 21:27
Sorry Motherhen,

Exuse my ignorance!

Regards also to the Rooster.

Ian
FollowupID: 618987

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 21:43

Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 21:43
'Tis the hen alone on the forums Ian.

I expected the effects of the recession would result in the cheaper mass manufactured vans getting the sales over the expensive custom built ones as people's retirement savings have taken a bit hit.

With the demise of two of the big names in custom vans (Boroma and Roadstar), i am surprised that the reverse is happening.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 618988

Sponsored Links