Carnarvon Gorge

Submitted: Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 18:55
ThreadID: 66228 Views:2248 Replies:7 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

Planning a trip to Carnarvon Gorge in June-July school holidays, just would like to now on places not to miss out on and any other helpful info.....We have already booked into the Takarakka Bush Resort.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rockape - Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 19:08

Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 19:08
Takarakka is excellent and the only thing you have to do is keep walking. Everything along the track is worth seeing and all are well marked.

Trust me you will enjoy the experience

Have a good one
AnswerID: 350640

Reply By: kend88 - Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 21:00

Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 21:00
We were there for a week around that time last year and loved it. There is really little else other than the walks, but it is a very nice place to stay. We did the walk pretty much to the end and return, about 27 km with the side trips on the way back, and are glad we did it, but we needed a rest for the next few days. The walk out to the end of the gorge is reasonably flat, but some of the various must see features on the way are quite steep. If we were doing it again, or advising people who may struggle, would probably only go half way to the end, as most of the features are in the first half. There are a few walks quite close which you can do on their own, but the majority of features are on the main trail, so we decided to do them on the one day rather than walk 5 or so kms out and then on to them each day.
The guided full day walk only goes half way out from memory.

KenD
Bris
AnswerID: 350668

Follow Up By: kend88 - Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 21:10

Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 21:10
Just a quick follow up. We are not really into off roading and found the road in a bit of an ordeal. About 20km of gravel I think it was. No problem with creek crossings etc but very corrugated. Some people said they sat on about 40/50kmh and some admitted to a bit of damage to their van. I don't think we got over 20kmh, but had no problems at all. The trip back out was quite pleasant as we were not concerned about what we might encounter. Other people also admitted to not getting over 20kmh so I then didn't feel as much of a whimp.

KenD
bris
FollowupID: 618976

Reply By: Member - Traveller (QLD) - Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 22:06

Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 22:06
Walks are great, we've been there several times and do the full walk each time! There's something about the place! Be sure to see the evening slide show and talk.

Never had any bother with the road!
AnswerID: 350680

Reply By: Member - Mark (NSW) - Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 22:07

Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 22:07
It's a long way there from most places so allow at least 4 full days when you get there. All the side trips off the main walk are worth it, including up to the Bluff in the morning.
Walk to the bend in the creek one day without too many side trips, maybe 20km but all very easy and flat. Then on other days go half way but do the side canyons.
Kids over 5 should love the rock scrambling up Mickey's (?) Gully.
We have been there twiice in October school holidays.
IF they still have the elder Aboriginal guide/ranger, make sure you go with him, pace is leisurely.
My 70 year old mother in law did most of the walks.
Takarakka ammenities are good.

AnswerID: 350681

Follow Up By: Member - Mark (NSW) - Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 22:12

Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 22:12
PS 30 years ago the road from Injune to Rolleston was nearly all dirt, now it's bitumen and like a super highway. Last 20km today into the Gorge was equivalent to the best 20km of dirt 30 years ago and then my old Kingswood handled fine!
FollowupID: 618993

Reply By: craig2 - Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 22:12

Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 22:12
You can camp in the national park itself and the camp sites are quite large. We did it 2 years ago and it was bloody cold -2 at night but the hot showers made up for it.
AnswerID: 350682

Follow Up By: Member - Julie P (VIC) - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 08:58

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 08:58
I thought the camping area in the park was closed? This is the one near the visitors centre - great showers and loos?
We were there about 2004 ( I think) and they were closing the camping - just having day area - have they re-opened it?
The walks are fantastic - I did them all - hubby had a chest infection, so felt really crook, though he did get to the ampitheatre - spectacular place. Very cold at night.
jules
FollowupID: 619206

Follow Up By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 12:12

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 12:12
Yes it gets very cold at night. We went to the Rangers night presentation at Takaraka and everyone looked like Eskimos, all rugged up. Takaraka was fairly new when we went a number of years ago. The power supply wasn't up to the task and kept dropping of line so no heating. They were working on it when we were there.
The camping area was open at certain times, such as holidays, not sure about now.
Rod
FollowupID: 619249

Reply By: Leigh Haywood - Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 22:17

Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 22:17
We went to Carnarvon in July last year and stayed at Takarakka Bush Resort. However, we also spent a few nights at the Mount Moffatt Section of the Park, which we would recommend highly.

It is a fair drive in (at least half a day from Takarakka Bush Resort, however very well worth it. There are some excellent campsites including Dargonelly Rock Hole Camping Area where we stayed which even had drinking water. Cost was $4.50 per adult per night.

The tracks within the park were 4WD of an easy standard. There were plenty of things to do, including numerous rock formations and 3 sites with aboriginal rock art (each only a few hundred metres off the main track). They are all marked on the Park Guide.

The roads in may be closed if the weather is wet, although dry out very quickly as we discovered. Plenty of people towed vans into the park without any trouble.

TheMT Moffatt section ranger can be contacted on 0746263581 or within the park on UHF Channel 8 duplex.
AnswerID: 350684

Reply By: happytravelers - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 20:18

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 20:18
As others have said it's a great place, we were lucky enough to be there on Anzac day a couple of years ago. They held a beautiful dawn service on top of the escarpment behind Takarakka. The atmosphere as the sun rose over the cliffs is one Anzac service I will never forget, just fantastic.
Jon
AnswerID: 350848

Sponsored Links