A question about arb roof racks

I have a 07 rodeo with a arb canopy with two roof bars on it,can I fit a arb roof rack,1850x1120 on to the bars and put some type of fitting on to the cab,or do I have to take the bars off the canopy and get some other type of fitting.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 08:38

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 08:38
hamo,

Having a roof rack that is fixed on the canopy and also fixed to the cab will cause problems because of chassis flex between the cab and the canopy.

Any roof rack that is fixed between the canopy and cab will move and damage to the cab and canopy is very likely.

Rodeos do have a big problem with chassis flex, you only have to look at the amount the body flexes around the bull bar.

You could have a roof rack over the canopy and/ or a roof rack over the cab but not one roof rack over both.

Wayne
AnswerID: 350717

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 08:47

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 08:47
I put a roof rack that size on my old Triton and only fixed it to the canopy roof bars, which also were supported by internal supports.

I still have the roof rack which I may use in the future on Darkie but at the moment it is collecting dust in the shed.

The rack cantilevered about 350mm over the cab and as Wayne said if fixed to both cab and canopy then you will have issues.

I think there is a pic of the Triton in my profile.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 350719

Reply By: Member - Daryl C (VIC) - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 10:11

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 10:11
While we are on this track.... I don't have roof racks fitted at all yet to the Triton but I am considering taking a boat with me as I travel.
If there is an issue with flex between canopy & cab would I have problems strapping a boat across cab & canopy roof racks?
AnswerID: 350733

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 10:18

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 10:18
Daryl,

Send a MM to Member Norm C (QLD) as he had this type of set up on his hilux. He should be able to provide first hand experience with carrying a boat.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 619042

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 12:30

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 12:30
Just check the weight of an ARB rack before you buy. They are ridiculously heavy.
AnswerID: 350757

Sponsored Links