Jerry Can Explosion (Filling it up)

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 11:12
ThreadID: 66246 Views:8654 Replies:12 FollowUps:21
This Thread has been Archived
A lady was filling up at a servo this morning (just on channel 9 news) and it exploded at the pump,the pumped digits were all melted etc etc..

Should it be up to the servo to supply an earth wire ????,would people know to use them ????..

@ this point there is no info about this on the web..

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Mark G Gulmarrad - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 11:24

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 11:24
gday mate

when filling a jerry.......you should always take it out of the vehicle,place it on the ground and keep the nozzle in contact with the jerry while filling it.

and never overfill it...........what i mean by that is stop filling a few inches below the top of the spout,cheers.
AnswerID: 350745

Follow Up By: Member - Warfer (VIC) - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 11:27

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 11:27
Hiya Bud

Look from what i saw thats what she did,The Jerry was next to the pump..But heah it could hav been put there after the fact,Hopefully later there will be more of a Comprehensive report on the accident...

Cheers
FollowupID: 619057

Reply By: Maîneÿ (wa) has - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 11:28

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 11:28
Are you suggesting the actual "Jerry Can" exploded ??

Was it caused by the person smoking ??

Don't know how you will "earth" a plastic 'bucket'

Mainey . . .
AnswerID: 350746

Follow Up By: Member - Mark G Gulmarrad - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 11:33

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 11:33
MAINEY

you cant earth a 'plastic bucket', your correct there. by placing the jerry on the ground,what this does is eliminates the spark that can happen if you rub against the car body and thus creating static.
FollowupID: 619058

Reply By: Member - BUNDY BOY (WA) - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 12:42

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 12:42
did a few years in servos.........console operator is supposed to look...and if jerry can is not on the ground.....or fuel is going to be put in a not suitable container .....operator is NOT to authorize pump........me thinks this is only to cover the servo myself ........as ive seen some stupid things been done while filling with fuel

Bundy
AnswerID: 350758

Follow Up By: Member - DOZER- Thursday, Feb 26, 2009 at 20:05

Thursday, Feb 26, 2009 at 20:05
Yesterday a guy was on the phone whiilst filling his gas tank....i yelled at him but he took no notice....
Andrew
FollowupID: 619484

Reply By: Member - Warfer (VIC) - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 13:15

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 13:15
Ok guys found the story Here

and then click this Image Could Not Be Found

Cheers
AnswerID: 350762

Reply By: X_PAC6969 - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 14:13

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 14:13
I see this most mornings with tradies filling jerry cans while still in the back of the Ute.
Only last week seen a bloke filling jerry can while it was in the car boot.
AnswerID: 350770

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 15:37

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 15:37
I think there is more to this accident than is currently known.

If the Jerry was a steel one it would (should) be earthed by contact with the metal spout of the pump hose. The hose provides a positive earth path back to the pump.
Don't know about plastic ones but assume they are made from a conductive material.

When I fill my Jerrys, it is normal to place them on the ground but not always.
When I'm on a trip, I decant the fuel from the Jerrycans using my Tanami Pump. The Tanami Pump fuel hose is also made from plastic with properties that don't generate static from fuel flow. On arrival at the next fuel stop I would generally fill them up again, but without removing them from the trailer cradles.

The trailer is earthed to the vehicle and therefore the Jerrycans are at the same earth potential. They would (should) also be earthed via the metal spout of the pump hose and in both cases no static electricity is created.

Placing the fuel container on the ground does not guarantee it has a good earth.

Consider any vehicle that is being filled. The vehicle has rubber tyres and therefore not necessarily "earthed".
The elimination of static electricity is generally provided by contact with the pump filler hose/spout which provides the same earth potential between the bowser and the fuel tank being filled, whatever that tank may be.

Perhaps the lady had a fag in her mouth???

Bill

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 350788

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 17:09

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 17:09
G'day Bill,
I'm intrigued by the concept that the touching of the filling nozzle of the bowser, to the top of the jerry can, can somehow earth it?

Is there a hidden metal cable in those filler hoses that causes the nozzle to earth? I always just figured that filler hoses were heavy duty rubber and therefore (in my mind), they would not be conductive back to the bowser and/or earth?

As usual, I'm very confused...... hahahahaha

Cheers mate

Roachie
FollowupID: 619090

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 17:53

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 17:53
G'day Bill,

Without claiming specific knowledge on the makeup of the bowser hose, I assume a metal mesh layer within the hose construction, or some similar device must provide the earth path.

If I find a more technical answer I will include it.

Cheers,
Bill
Bill

FollowupID: 619098

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 17:59

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 17:59
Just Googled this:-

Fuel Delivery Hose

Product Description
High quality fuel and oil delivery with up to 50% aromatic content.
Tube - Black static conducting NBR
Reinforcement - High tensile textile cords
Application - Delivery - fuel & oil - up to 50% aromatics
Temp. Range - 30deg C/ +100deg C

It would appear the rubber compound itself is static conducting.

Bill

FollowupID: 619103

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 10:59

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 10:59
The rubber is static conducting , once had to investigate poor radio reception in Holden Kingswoods , and end conclusion was that conducting rubber was used incorrectly to make the mounting.

Fortunately it was first batch and the recall only had to be done on factory stock.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 619228

Reply By: Rick james - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 18:10

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 18:10
Wasen't here mobile was it, dont believe what you might have seen on myth busters they do start fire's ive seen severel videos.
AnswerID: 350809

Follow Up By: Member - Chris & Debbie (QLD) - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 12:47

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 12:47
There is absolutly no evidence to show that mobile phones can cause an explosion. If people get so concerned about phones maybe they should not let a car start at a servo, what about sparks produced from bad ignition systems, starters and some of the older generators with brushes?
Chris
Coddiwomple (v.) To travel purposefully towards a vague destination.

Classifieds: Codan Envoy HF Radio X1 for sale

FollowupID: 619255

Follow Up By: Dave(NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 13:39

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 13:39
Chris,
Why are there signs at the bowsers saying to turn off mobile phones if it is safe to use them???
GU RULES!!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 619259

Follow Up By: Rick james - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 14:04

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 14:04
Not trying to start this old argument but i work on offshore rigs and have had to do several fire training courses with the mfb (Metropolitan Fire Brigade) and this question came up and the guy cant remember his name that was doing the course is one of the fire inspectors with the mfb as in if there is a fire in a house, building etc he investigates how it started he showed us three video's of several fires that he had been to where a survelence camera's in service stations where a mobile had started the fire, one i remember was where a woman was filling her car up and one of her kids passed the mobile out the window to her as she turned back to the bowser the fumes ignited wasen't very nice to watch but it proved a point. So as i said chris&debbie im not trying to start an argument just telling what i saw.
FollowupID: 619265

Follow Up By: Dave(NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 14:06

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 14:06
Try watching this.

://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nNojIeTceI

Cheers Dave...
GU RULES!!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 619266

Follow Up By: Member - Chris & Debbie (QLD) - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 16:44

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 16:44
Hi Rick, another offshore worker hey. not trying to start an augument either just presenting facts that I have read.
I'll just do a bit of cut and paste from an Australian site that covers it I think.

Mobile phones do not cause petrol stations to explode. There is no evidence that a mobile phone has ever caused an explosion at a petrol station anywhere in the world, AMTA Chief Executive Officer, Chris Althaus, told radio MMM.

MMM has a regular segment that exposes myths.

Mr Althaus said an investigation by the Australian Transport Safety Bureau in 2005 had found there were 243 reported incidents around the world between 1993 and 2004 of incidents of fires starting in petrol stations.

He said although the fires were claimed to have been caused by mobile phones, experts had subsequently found that not one of the incidents was associated with telecommunications equipment. Instead, many of the reported fires were ignited by the discharge of static electricity from the human body.

Mr Althaus told MMM that the amount of radio frequency energy emitted from mobile phones is too low to cause a spark that could ignite petrol.

He said Shell UK Oil had assessed the risks of a radio frequency spark from mobile phones in 1991 and had found that mobile phones did not represent a meaningful hazard. By far the greatest hazard, apart from smoking and striking matches, was the car.

The British Institute of Petroleum in 2003 said that the risk posed by mobile phones as a source of ignition is negligible.

Mr Althaus said petrol was flammable and it was important that people were not distracted by using their mobile phones at petrol stations and concentrated on the task at hand.

www.amta.org.au

Chris

Coddiwomple (v.) To travel purposefully towards a vague destination.

Classifieds: Codan Envoy HF Radio X1 for sale

FollowupID: 619289

Reply By: Bob of KAOS - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 21:28

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 21:28
Get a diesel
AnswerID: 350878

Follow Up By: Wizard1 - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 09:58

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 09:58
Here, here...No explosions filling diesel jerries. You can even leave the vehicle running and fill up at the same time.
FollowupID: 619215

Follow Up By: Member - Warfer (VIC) - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 11:08

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 11:08
***You can even leave the vehicle running and fill up at the same time.***

Hiya Wiz

I was going to ask this in a thread,i hav lately left my Hilux going while filling it (first time owning a diesel)...Thought i'd read somewhere that it was fairly safe to do so...

Cheers
FollowupID: 619230

Reply By: Member - peter C (VIC) - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 22:52

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 22:52
i was about 100 metres away when this incident occurred. heard 2 very loud 'woofs' which sounded like fuel vapour or gas. 3 cars burnt out plus damage to servo but worse 2 women injured one severely. am lead to believe fuel was spilt initially but do not know what caused ignition . initially quite scary as we already had the fires at belgrave south but cfa were very quick in controlling fire peter.
AnswerID: 350900

Reply By: Dunco (NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 11:03

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 11:03
I hate people using mobiles whilst filling their car....and I ALWAYS tell them to put it away.

My life as well as their's so have to say something.
AnswerID: 350950

Follow Up By: Member - Warfer (VIC) - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 11:25

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 11:25
Dunco

I was at a Safeway servo once and a guy hopped out of his car with mobile to ear,Another bloke filling his car told him to get off.Well it was a split second from a punch on when the bloke with mobile told him to get stuffed !

Cheers
FollowupID: 619237

Follow Up By: Dunco (NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 11:33

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 11:33
Horrible death or punch in the mouth ???

Hmmm :-)

We have to stand up for ourselves and sometimes for others !

FollowupID: 619239

Follow Up By: Member - Warfer (VIC) - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 11:57

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 11:57
Thats well put but i tell you this Mobile while driving message is not getting through...I get side by side with a vehicle when safe to do so (double lane) and toot and point...Usually 9-10 hang up,Maybe one might get out the sawn off shotgun one day who knows lol..

Get sick and tired of seeing cars going from one side of the lane to the other..Usually i see young P plate girls texts messaging while driving..

They need to up the fine to $5000 on the spot or hav a hotline so the police can check against mobile phone account..

How i see it,a $140 Hands free is nothing compared to an accident that kills/maims etc.

Cheers

FollowupID: 619243

Follow Up By: Dunco (NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 15:15

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 15:15
You are preaching to the converted :-)

FollowupID: 619277

Follow Up By: Member - Matt M (ACT) - Thursday, Feb 26, 2009 at 09:05

Thursday, Feb 26, 2009 at 09:05
Warfer,

Don't just blame the P Platers, seems they are not the worst offenders...

Gen X most prone to phone while driving

Matt.
FollowupID: 619391

Follow Up By: Member - Warfer (VIC) - Thursday, Feb 26, 2009 at 13:06

Thursday, Feb 26, 2009 at 13:06
Sorry Matty my intention was not to solely blame P Platers,its a serious issue across the whole board !

Cheers
FollowupID: 619415

Follow Up By: Member - Matt M (ACT) - Thursday, Feb 26, 2009 at 14:55

Thursday, Feb 26, 2009 at 14:55
Warfer,

I would tend to blame 'kids' as the worst offenders as well, followed by women I must say. Seems I am wrong on both counts.

Good news is that I fall between baby boomers and Gen X, so can't be labelled with any of thos sweeping generalisations people like making.

Matt.
FollowupID: 619429

Reply By: Ozboc - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 21:15

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 21:15
you know the old petrol pumps al used to be steel , so when you had the nozzel in hand - you were effectively getting rid of all the static electricity from you to the pumps - which are then grounded

most of them are all plastic coated now ..... something to think about next time you fill up

Boc
AnswerID: 351045

Reply By: Member - Smiley Bill - Thursday, Feb 26, 2009 at 00:24

Thursday, Feb 26, 2009 at 00:24
Hi all,

Static electriciry is generated when two dissimilar materials are rubbed together, in this case fuel and the rubber hose.

The static flows on the outside of the hose therefor a charge is waiting at the tip of the nozzle to jump to something.

You should have the nozzle in contact with the spout of the conductive container (which is sitting on the ground) before and at all times while filling, this enables any charge that builds up to flow to earth.

Any spark that does jump will do it in the little area around the spout where there is the correct vapour/air mixture and BANG.

Leaving diesels running while filling .... on a hot day there is plenty of vapour lying around.

You can't see electricity so don't trust it!

SB
AnswerID: 351079

Sponsored Links