More Ozi questions

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 16:01
ThreadID: 66253 Views:2081 Replies:7 FollowUps:23
This Thread has been Archived
I have managed to transfer all the waypoints from Google Earth to Ozi.

Question 1: Do I HAVE to load the Waypoints to the map one by one or is there a way to load the whole lot in one fell swoop?

I have established a Track via all the Waypoints on the map and have saved it. In designing the track I made a few Stuff-ups. I would like to correct those stuff-ups

Question 2: How do I get rid of track lines which should not be there?

I have scoured the HELP file but am getting nowhere.

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 17:40

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 17:40
Geez Willem I'm a Dinosaur when it comes to Computers, one thing
I do know, you can't use a Rubber lol lol .

Cheers
Daza
AnswerID: 350802

Follow Up By: Lotzi - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 17:55

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 17:55
G'day Dazza

Every one knows that Willem is writing a new book about GPS.... with the amount of questions recently.

But we also know that in Willem stories he never used rubbers, he invented white out ... that's why he is always complaining about his snowy computer screen..

Cheers
Lotzi

PS. But we also know that when he first heard of GPS, he thought it stood for Girls Prep School, that's why he showed so much interest early on... lol
FollowupID: 619101

Follow Up By: Willem - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 20:47

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 20:47
Daza and Lotzi

This mapping stuff reminds me of studying Latin at school. I just couldn't get my head around it...LOL. Needless to say my scholarly pursuits have failed over the years and I have stumbled through life, grabbing at straws...but I am still going in my older age...hahahahaha

Cheers
FollowupID: 619130

Follow Up By: Lotzi - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 21:13

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 21:13
Stumbled straw sounds appropriate ....
FollowupID: 619143

Follow Up By: Member - Warfer (VIC) - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 11:11

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 11:11
***This mapping stuff reminds me of studying Latin at school. I just couldn't get my head around it...LOL. ***

Your right Will,Its not a user friendly program in my opinion...Its very time consuming compared to Map-Send Lite (Mag) but it offers a lot more options..
Hang in there...

Top Secret Bit: Coming soon lol

Cheers
FollowupID: 619232

Reply By: Member - John and Val W (ACT) - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 18:21

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 18:21
Willem,

re Question 1: Do I HAVE to load the Waypoints to the map one by one or is there a way to load the whole lot in one fell swoop?

If you have created individual kml files in GE, you will probably have to load the individual files individually. There may be a way of combining them in Ozi, but I've never tried it so would suggest doing this:

in GE, RIGHT click on an existing folder in the PLACES panel, and select ADD, FOLDER. Name it appropriately and OK. You should now have that folder in the PLACES panel. Click and drag each of your seperate placemarks into that folder. When you have them all in the folder, save the FOLDER as a .kml file (RIGHT click and SAVE PLACE AS and set to .kml, then OK)

In Ozi, load this folder file and you will automatically load all its contents in that one operation.

re Question 2: How do I get rid of track lines which should not be there?

I'll hand that one to Val - she is the oracle for tracks.

First, do not delete any waypoints that you have entered onto the MAP - if you do, any tracks that you have set up can go completely haywire.

If you have set up tracks and they have lines going where they should not you need to click on the Route editor which is in the top row of the toolbar (icon shows a hand holding a pen).

This will bring up a box showing routes (R1, R2,...)in different colours, and a list of the waypoints or placemarks that you have used to form the highlighted route. Double click on the route that you are working on to bring up the Route Properties box

This will show, in the LEFT hand column, the waypoints that are available to make a route, and in the RIGHT hand column the actual waypoints that you have used. Here you can edit your route by adding, inserting or removing waypoints in the RIGHT hand list.

To ADD to the bottom of the RIGHT hand list, select 1 or more waypoints in the LEFT hand list and click ADD. (You can select a block of them by clicking the first, then shift clicking the last.)

To INSERT one or more waypoints in the RIGHT hand list, select them in the Left hand list, and in the Right hand list select the waypoint you want to be AFTER the insert, then click INSERT.

To REMOVE a waypoint or a block of waypoints from the route list (RIGHT), select and then click the BLACK X button (NOT THE RED ONE!!! that will simply abort so you can start again).

Add, insert and remove till you've got the route just the way you want it. You do not have to use all available waypoints, and can use some more than once if you are backtracking. By seeing what waypoints the lines join up you will be able to identify which waypoints you need to add, insert or remove.

IMPORTANT - when you've got it right, or even half right you MUST click the "OK" button at the bottom of the Route Properties window to save your changes. Don't just close the window, or it'll be time to start again!

Before closing Ozi remember to do a final save by clicking any red text in the boxes at the top RHS of the screen (map,waypoint, event etc). Since you will have been working on waypoints and routes these will show in red text. Clicking on those boxes will save your work.

It sounds complicated but once you get the hang of it, its pretty straightforward. Perhaps best to practice a bit first by setting up some dummy waypoints and having a play with creating a route with them.

Good luck Willem!

John and Val

J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 350815

Follow Up By: Willem - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 20:43

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 20:43
Hi John and Val

Thanks so much for your invaluable help.

I have solved Question 1. No worries.

Question 2 is more troublesome. But I am reading through Val's notes again and again. Initiallly I joined all the waypoints to make a track. But my hand has not been so steady and I have double tracks running here and there between three sets of waypoints. All I want to do is tidy it up. It's not that serious though...lol

So I will work on it. Maybe I should deleted the tracks and start again?

Cheers
FollowupID: 619128

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val W (ACT) - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 21:54

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 21:54
Willem,

The easy way is probably to start again.

Here's how to do it without losing your present work.

First, with pen and paper make a list of the waypoint names in the order you want them in your route.

Then
Open the route editor and select an unused route (R1, R2, R3, etc) and double click it to open the Route Properties window. As discussed above, you should have a full list of available waypoints in the left hand side, and a blank column on the right.

Using your pen and paper list as a guide, select the required waypoint by clicking it and then ADD. Do this for all of the waypoints in the order on your list - if you make a mistake, select in the right hand list and remove it with the black X tab. - if you miss one out, insert it as described above. Be very sure to click the OK tab to save your work before exiting the Route Properties window.

Good luck, you'll be an expert at this soon!!
Cheers,

John
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 619160

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val W (ACT) - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 22:11

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 22:11
Willem,

The great thing about this exercise is that we are learning too!!!

If you follow the above suggestion and create a new route, both (or all) of the routes using this set of waypoints will be displayed. When you are happy with the route that you want to keep you can get rid of the other route(s) by simply highlighting them (ie R1, R2 etc) in the route editor and pressing the "clear" button.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 619167

Follow Up By: Willem - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 22:52

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 22:52
Hi Val

Not winning now

I have discovered that I can make a new track and save it to file and then I can load the right track (when I get it right!!!) and delete the others. But I keep on making mistakes so will go to bed now and tackle it tomorrow :-)

Cheers
FollowupID: 619184

Reply By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 18:28

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 18:28
Hi Willem,
if you saved your GE placemarks in a .kml file as previously discussed, then when you imported the GE .kml file into Ozi, you should have all your waypoints shown on the map. You then save them by clicking on "save" then "save waypoints to file". So the next time you load the file into Ozi they are all there for you. You can then "edit" / move you waypoints as you desire.
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 350818

Follow Up By: Willem - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 22:30

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 22:30
Yep,, I got that sorted

Happy with the waypoints...its the track that's the problem..not that I really intend to follow the track to the letter anyway :-)

Cheers
FollowupID: 619175

Reply By: Member - Leigh (Vic) - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 18:28

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 18:28
Hi Willem. Can you enlighten me as to how you have done this transfer from Google to Ozi. If it's electronic and in excel format ozi should recognise it. On the second question you could perhaps open the track file and delete the offending points that give rise to the stray lines. I would like to understand, for my own benefit, how you captured the waypoints off Ozi. Looking to kick around from the Bight down to coffin bay and need to create a number of references to follow in ozi so as to get down to the beaches that offer a good sandy shoreline.
AnswerID: 350819

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val W (ACT) - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 18:41

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 18:41
Leigh, have a look at thread 66211
J and V
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 619112

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val W (ACT) - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 18:45

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 18:45
Leigh, re deleting offending points.

Yes you can edit them out of the route but you MUST NOT delete them from the map. If you delete them from the map then you end up with a total mess/cats cradle. Dont know why it happens, but I have learned that trick the hard way.

Cheers,
Val
J and V
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 619113

Follow Up By: Member - Leigh (Vic) - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 21:45

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 21:45
Thanks also for the advice. This post will be a reference for the weekend's plotting!! Thanks again Val.
FollowupID: 619156

Follow Up By: Richard Kovac - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 22:33

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 22:33
Leigh

You can do a lot with this site gpsvisualizer

Cheers

Richard
FollowupID: 619176

Reply By: Member -Signman - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 12:12

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 12:12
Maybe you shouldn't be looking at making a 'track' ..most like;y a 'route' thru Route Editor you can load all you wapoints in- sort them into what order you require..then save that 'set' of waypoints as a Route..
BTW- will you be around your town towrds end of June...if so whats the chances of camping in your backyard overnite. We have a self contained unit !!

Cheers
AnswerID: 350960

Follow Up By: Willem - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 18:03

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 18:03
Signman

I have given up on the track idea. Its not really necessary as all I need to do is to get from one waypoint to the next. Maybe I will play with it later when I need to do something :-)

You are always welcome to drop in but this year I am escaping the winter for the tropics and will be on the wallaby from the end of May until end of August

Cheers
FollowupID: 619306

Reply By: Skippy In The GU - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 18:39

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 18:39
Willem try this

On the Top Tool bar just under Moving-Map you should see a tiny red square dot and the word Track, click on that , now move your mouse on an Intersection on the map and click on it and now move the mouse along that road and click again , you should have a line inbetween them 2 waypoints , keep doing this until you have the track you need .

I like to use a Pink Track

Image Could Not Be Found

When you have got your track click on Save and then click Save Track To File

Image Could Not Be Found
AnswerID: 351014

Follow Up By: Willem - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 19:31

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 19:31
Skippy

Thanks for your feedback. This part of the track I have mastered.

What I need to know is how to Edit the plurry thing as I have made a few blues and have tracks running where they should not. Just inexperience in doing this job. Have had Ozi for years but have never seen the need for track plotting. This time around I might need the track to high-light my my Waypoints.

Cheers
FollowupID: 619321

Follow Up By: Skippy In The GU - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 19:54

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 19:54
To edit a track file :

Press ALT + T which is Track Control, then click on Show Track List ( this is where the circle on the jpg. )

Image Could Not Be Found

Once the Track List pops up click on one of the lines , in my case I have selected #10 you should see a cross hair next to the green box ( Big Mistake here Comment ) now hit the delete key and you will see the track has moved , have a go in deleting more further up or down and that track will vanish

See how you go with that
FollowupID: 619325

Follow Up By: Willem - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 20:07

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 20:07
Thanks very much Skippy. That is the simple answer I have been looking for.

I notice however that I deleted all of the tracks. Now I am bound to make a mistake when drawing the next track, so will practice this method and get back to you later.

Cheers
FollowupID: 619328

Follow Up By: Skippy In The GU - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 20:18

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 20:18
I also like to change the track colour for each day when traveling ,

like this

Image Could Not Be Found
FollowupID: 619330

Follow Up By: Willem - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 21:07

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 21:07
Thanks very much Skippy. I am unstressed...lol

Managed to plot a new track and make some corrections along the way.

I deleted the first few trackpoints at the beginning of the track however and now every time I start plotting the new track the program wants to connect it up with the last point of that section. There is probably a simple answer to this?

Cheers
FollowupID: 619340

Follow Up By: Skippy In The GU - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 21:26

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 21:26
Yes the best way is you need to save the last track file and start again and save that file, I don't think there is another way. also you can open all the individual track files together by,

Click on Load then scroll down to Load Track From File (Multi)
FollowupID: 619348

Follow Up By: Willem - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 22:10

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 22:10
Thanks Skippy

I have sorted it.

Now I have to transfer all this stuff to my Acer Netbook...LOL

Cheers

FollowupID: 619363

Follow Up By: MADOG - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 22:49

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 22:49
Willem,

You you have the answer from Skippy but for a realively new much easier method, upgrade free to the latest development version of OziExp from www.oziexplorer.com and you will find that by ...
1. opening Track Properties and activate "Enable mouse on track properties"
2. pressing the "drag" button on the toolbar and
3. then you can drag Track Points around the screen.

In Track Properties you can also activate "Manually insert track point between track points".

The development version enables a great leap forward in Track management. For some easy to read help files go to www.smartersafety.com and choose the OziExplorer tab.
FollowupID: 619373

Follow Up By: Willem - Thursday, Feb 26, 2009 at 23:41

Thursday, Feb 26, 2009 at 23:41
Thanks MADOG

Will follow it up

Cheers
FollowupID: 619529

Reply By: MADOG - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 22:54

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 22:54
OOPS!

should be www.smartersafety.com.au
AnswerID: 351073