4Wd's, Cars & Pushbikes on the road?

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 19:15
ThreadID: 66263 Views:3038 Replies:20 FollowUps:15
This Thread has been Archived
For those of us with largeish 4wd's - I know I personally find it very hardto move across enough in peak hour traffic to give a safe margin to the cyclist as I pass in peak hour traffic, without scaring the beegeebers outta the person in the lane next to me thinking I'm about to swerve into them and doing a pannic.

What i want to know is this.

When it's a 4 lane highway with median strip in the middle and two lanes going each way - AND theres a full 1 lane wide bitumenised bicycle path along side the highway, is it legal for the cyclist to choose to riude on the highway instead of the privided cycle path?

I know there are some laws about cyclists riding on footpaths but in this case it is a bonefide cycle path built at great expense to the taxpayer to keep cyclists off the highway!

I see the same guy with his helmet riding on the highway not the sycle way every day on the way to work.

I even wound down the windowone day when he stoped alongside me at the lights and said - "hows about use the provided cycle way next to you - instead a riding on the highway" but he just srugs his shoulkders and rolls his eyes.

Is there anything I can do?... complain to the police?..how do I identify him to them - there are no plates on a bicycle to identify the owner?

My F 250 is quite wide and the lanesarent that wide - we share those twolanes with semis etc as its a light industrialsuburb so lot os freight and delivery trucks etc etc - everyone is trying to "squeeze" past this tosser wthout kitting him or the car next to you.

Sometimesthe only option is to crawl along the highway at the cyclists speed for long distances, if you can't get enough room to squeeze past safely for the cyclist!

Eventually he's gonna get hit - it's just a question of time - I'm just wondering where I will stand if it is me who hits him?

Is he obligated legally to use a provided cycleway rather than the highway?

If not - why are we wasting taxpayers $ to build them?

I'd sooner the $ were spent patching the idiot up in hospital after I give him a good nudge form behind! ;o)

It's been buggin me a few weeks if you can't tell!

I'm all for teachjing this guy one of lifes painfull lessons on Darwinism if I have a legal leg to stand on - I've tried being nice!

Cheers!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Flywest - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 19:17

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 19:17
Sorry bout the spellin and grandmah, got a case a phat phingers syndrome!
AnswerID: 350833

Reply By: Tim - Stratford (VIC) - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 19:35

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 19:35
You don't indicate which State you're in - In Victoria it is illegal to ride a bicycle on the road if a bicycle path is provided (Road Rule 247(1)). It is also illegal to ride a bicycle on a road without being as far left as practicable (Road Rule 129(1)) ie riding on the right side of a left lane etc.

Cyclists can still ride two abreast - legally - but self preservation comes into play a bit here - I wouldn't do it and keep to the bike tracks and rail trails - saves being vaccuumed up!

In the end it's about commonsense and not featuring in the Darwinian Awards, 2009!!

Tim
AnswerID: 350836

Follow Up By: Member - Warfer (VIC) - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 20:08

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 20:08
Some of those Bushfires in your area force you outa the bush Timbo ! lol

***Cyclists can still ride two abreast - legally - but self preservation comes into play a bit here ***

Yeah a mate told me last year as i was putting my passenger window down to giv em a blast,cant believe they can do it...But some play on it too, forcing a huge car backlog in the process....

Cheers
FollowupID: 619121

Follow Up By: Shaker - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 23:10

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 23:10
I can't understand why they don't make it illegal to ride 2 abreast inside double lines, or a continuous line.
Or is that too logical?
FollowupID: 619187

Follow Up By: Member - Warfer (VIC) - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 11:03

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 11:03
Hiya Shaker

You been in hiding too mate ???? Yeah its hard enough driving in peak hour than have to put up with xtra rubbish...We wont talk about them being impatient and riding through red lights will we...

Cheers
FollowupID: 619229

Follow Up By: Rossco td105 - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 11:22

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 11:22
G'day Warfer,

As long as 'we' don't tar all cyclists with the same brush. For example, all 4wd'ers cut up the bush and leave rubbish wherever they stop. Some people (usually a minority) give others a bad name/reputation. Why does it have to be 'us' and 'them'? We're all human...

Cheers,

Ross.
FollowupID: 619236

Follow Up By: Mick W - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 18:48

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 18:48
"Cyclists can still ride two abreast - legally - but self preservation comes into play a bit here - I wouldn't do it and keep to the bike tracks and rail trails - saves being vaccuumed up!"

With many years of riding on the roads in all conditions with all sorts on the road, Self preservation for me is riding two abreast. From experience when riding 2 abreast (as a rider and motorist) motorists apear to provide more attention to two riders than one be it allowing more room when overtaking or waiting that bit longer to pass rather than cutting it thin and clipping my elbow with their wing mirror when I have been riding by myself as they try to squeeze past.

As for tracks and trails, In perth we have one of the worst networks of cycle paths/lanes I have seen. Not so bad in the southern corridor, but north is horendous, with lots of cutting back and forth across and onto roads, poor surfaces and maintenance make them a nightmare. Not so bad on the old kmart specia, but when your riding a precision crafted machine (often at great expense), it would be like asking someone driving a HSV to take the GRR rather than the black top north.

An area I ride regularly is along west swan road has a cycle path, but there is that much glass and rubbish deposited on the path I spend more time changing flats and replacing tyres (at $80 a throw+), hence the road is a much better option for me until the issue is resolved. I will admit that the shire is pretty good at cleaning it up, but after another weekend of dalkeithiens waltzing through the valley, its back to where it was again.
FollowupID: 619315

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 19:35

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 19:35
I agree if there is a cycleway, he should use it but he probably owns a car and pays taxes like everyone else so he is entitled to use the road. In fact he has the same rights and is entitled to a lane as car drivers are.. Treat him like a parked car and indicate and move to the next lane.. I actually dont have a problem with them. Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 350837

Reply By: Crackles - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 19:42

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 19:42
Unless specifically sign posted that bikes are not allowed (& some freeways are) I'd see him as just another road user & you must allow sufficient room. In other words if you are having trouble giving him enough space when over taking then change to the inside lane. You wouldn't squeeze through that close if it was a slow motor cycle would you? The lack of tollerance towards push bikes on Oz roads is unfortunate particually as more often than not they'd only hold you up no more than 60 seconds at any time.
Suggesting that you'd run this fella over if he was in any way breaking the law pretty much sums up your stupidity!
Cheers Craig..............
AnswerID: 350840

Follow Up By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 21:26

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 21:26
G/Day Craig

Seeing you are up todate re Push Bikes, I am wondering if they have
an accident, an it is shown that they were at fault, an caused damage to a motor vehicle or private property, or injured a person,
*Do they carry Third Party Insurance.
*Do they carry Comprehensive Insurance.
*Can they receive some sort of penalty or fine.
*Or is the only recourse is to take them to Court as a Civil Matter.

I agree that they deserve to be treated with Respect, but I think
they should treat Motorist with the same amount of Respect.
FollowupID: 619152

Follow Up By: Crackles - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 22:06

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 22:06
No, No, Yes, probably.
I also agree.
Cheers Craig..........
FollowupID: 619164

Follow Up By: The Landy - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 08:11

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 08:11
Actually I think you will find they are subjected entirely to the same processes as though it was ay other vehicle. You would claim under your insurance and the insurance company would be persue the cyclist for the money.

Third party injury would also be claimed under insurance.

Cyclists are road users like all others and subjected to the same rules, no expections.
FollowupID: 619201

Follow Up By: Garbutt - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 08:18

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 08:18
Many cyclists do have thrid party insurance through either state bicycle organisations such as Bicycle SA or if they are racing cyclists through the Aust Cycling Federation. And yes, they can be, and sometimes are, fined.
FollowupID: 619202

Reply By: brizmatt - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 19:56

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 19:56
I know I shouldn't bite but I will.................. I'm a law abiding bike rider and drive a 4WD as well. Also ride road motor bikes on occasions. I sometimes commute on my pushbike, sometimes drive. I have never had an issue with a cyclist when driving. I have no problems sitting behind them waiting for a safe place to pass. I do sometimes have issues when riding- sometimes people have not seen me and it is quite easy to see they haven't seen me so no issue and they usually wave sorry. The times revenge is taken is when it is absolutely obvious a bully has seen me and just pushed past me running me off the road. It is really beyond me where this Aussie agro towards bikes come from. I have not seen it happen in other countries I have ridden and driven in- most places every one just plays together.

But again, if the bike is doing 30 km/h for one km and you have to sit behind them and chill out rather than sit on 60 km/h- we are talking very minimal time.

Matt D

AnswerID: 350843

Reply By: Member - Lionel A (WA) - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 19:56

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 19:56
Not too sure about the cycle-lane issue.
I find that, in general, cyclists are predictable and are aware how vunerable they can be. Giving them a little room doesnt hurt.

Its those 3 wheel things where the rider is reclined that bother me.
They seem that much slower and veer all over the place, making it hard to line him up for the 'big nudge'.....lol.

Cheers......Lionel.
AnswerID: 350844

Follow Up By: Mick W - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 18:54

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 18:54
curse the recumbant- Death to them I say!!!
FollowupID: 619316

Reply By: The Geriatric Gypsies - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 20:50

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 20:50
personally get rid of all bloody bikes off the roads they are a PITA

steve
AnswerID: 350858

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 21:15

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 21:15
I'm a bike rider and I agree.
Its about time the governments spent a few more dollars on dedicated bikeways.
FollowupID: 619146

Follow Up By: Rossco td105 - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 10:45

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 10:45
Hi Steve,

Maybe we should take all bloody 4WD's off the road as well. Plenty of people find them to be a PITA. Some tolerance would go a long way to making this world a better place.

I agree Phil, some money spent on dedicated bikeways would be great. Then again some money spent making our roads safer would be great as well.

Cheers,

Ross.
FollowupID: 619226

Follow Up By: Member -Dodger - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 17:30

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 17:30
Get them of the road,
There is not enough road space for vehicular traffic let alone Push bikes.
They are a PIA.
And no even if they have a car they do not pay taxes for the pushy if they had to be registered and needed a license to ride then yes.

Now watch the bites.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 619295

Reply By: olddigger - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 21:25

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 21:25
As a former cyclist, I'm afraid they are just a bloody menace on the road, especially here in Perth where they seem to think they have some God-given right to ride wherever they like.
Dedicated paths, yes; sharing roads with other vehicles is just crazy. They should be banned.
AnswerID: 350877

Reply By: get outmore - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 21:38

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 21:38
I dont ride alot but there are some roads or spots where they narrow and i couldnt give a damn if its illegal to ride on the footpath its what i do

I have riden on a few roads where i wish there had been footpaths
AnswerID: 350882

Follow Up By: IanM (Vic) - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 22:07

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 22:07
You do realise, I suppose, that a lot of other road users find a 4WD, particularly one as large as an F250, to be a PITA also.
I mean, they take up an absurd amount of room to transport one or two people around, you cannot see past or around then etc....
Maybe we could all just make allowances for each other and share what we have ALL payed for, or is that too much to ask?
FollowupID: 619165

Reply By: IanM (Vic) - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 22:09

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 22:09
Sorry get outmore, that wasn't meant as a follow up to your post, I hit the wrong button!
AnswerID: 350892

Reply By: Member - Royce- Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 00:09

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 00:09
I understand that you are in a hurry.... but I haven't had a problem with bike riders ever!

I just slow down and let them do their thing and overtake when I can.

I am usually driving vehicles that put a heap of junk in the air and am happy to have another road traveller balance things out for me. :-]]
AnswerID: 350910

Reply By: Member - Royce- Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 00:10

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 00:10
PS.... bet my F350 is wider than your effie!
AnswerID: 350911

Reply By: Garbutt - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 08:21

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 08:21
The sort of intolerance displayed by some people here is similar to that displayed by Scruby towards 4wd's.
AnswerID: 350931

Reply By: Alan H - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 10:44

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 10:44
As an ex bus driver I admit to be mighty frustrated at times when having successfully passed a cyclist they then go to the front of the queue at the next set of lights, and I have to do it all again!
But such is life on the road and drivers of other vehicles are much more of a dangerous menace than bike riders.
Alan.
AnswerID: 350946

Reply By: Best Off Road - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 11:36

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 11:36
Driving to and from work each day I rarely comes across more than 1 pushie.

I can assure I come across at least 5 dills in cars each day doing stupid things.

Much ado about nothing IMHO.

Jim.

AnswerID: 350952

Reply By: robak (QLD) - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 13:30

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 13:30
Takes up precious road space and is tosser... sounds like the attitude of the average person towards drivers of F250's.
AnswerID: 350970

Reply By: Flywest - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 16:00

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 16:00
for those that asked...

1. It is WA - so is it legal or illegal to ride a bike on a hwy where a two lane white lined bitumen cycleway is specifically provided?.

2. I'm only interested in the issue as far as where cycleways are provided - I realise it;s illegal to ride a bike on a footpath, and have no issue with ikes on highways where cycleways arent provided.

3. Never hit ANYONE in 31 years of driving - zero demerits, 65% No claims and i hold HR with bus endorsement, including school bus driver for 3 years etc etc. I have a good (excellent) cleanskin driving record.

4. I don't mind crawling along behind a bike where the rider has no other option available to him.

5. Where its siggested to switch lanes - to pass - thats not an option - we are talking peak hour traffic solid lines of cars in both lanes...this guy is slowing the inside lane (me) to a crawl for km's.
If / when you do get past him safely - as soon as you pull up at the next lights he sneaks up the inside to the front and does it al over again for the stretch to the next set of lights etc etc.
It's a deliberate act to frustrate traffic / car drivers.
He doesnt treat his bike like a vehicle and say ion his lane as motorcyclists are sposed to do - he sneaks up the inside of the line of traffic to the front then cycles away at the head of the line from the lights.
Thats wrong and it's worse when he has the cycleway option.

6. My intention is to report the guy to police for his own safety sake - theres plenty commuters on this route besides me who wish this guy physical harm - My aim is to get the police to deal with it IF it is in fact "illegal" in any way, BEFORE one of my ilk loses the plot - does a road rage and makes him into bugspot on a bullbar.

7. Reason for the enquiry is to know if/what road rules he is breaking, in order to report him for his own safety sake.

8. No point wasting the police time IF he is n breaking any laws.

9. His own behaviour will see him a statistic whether I nudge him or not - it s nt a question of "if" - but a question of when he becomes yet another road statistic.

10. The fact I asked him nicely and he just shugs his shoulders, rolls his eyes and keeps on doing it that bugs me, it was a metaphoric equivalent of the middle finger salute...whenI was ONLY concerned for HIS safety.

If there isn't a law to stop peanuts of this ilk - there should be IMHO.

Cheers
AnswerID: 350986

Follow Up By: robak (QLD) - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 17:43

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 17:43
Flywest,

1. most "cycle paths" are only good for a sunday cycle with the kids. As a route for everyday transport they are crap. Having siad that in WA cyclists must use the path IF it is in good condition. Maybe you should take a bike out there and have a look.

Google is your friend

2. as above

3. Great. Keep it up.

4. I'm sure he doesn't mind crawling behind you either.

5. It's perfectly legal for a pushbike to overtake standing traffic. Maybe you should get a slimmer car.

6. Do you report to the police other drivers' illegal manouvres as well? (for their own safety that is)

7. You don't actually think people on this forum are stupid enough to believe that you are doing this for HIS safety.

8. Exactly. Police have better things to do. like catching illegally modifed 4wd's.

9. International proffesional cyclist who ride in many places that have narrower street with more traffic say that Australia is the worst for driver behaviour. They also say that WA is the worst in Australia. So infact the more cycles are on the road, the better the attitudes.

10. I was driving from Brisbane to the Sunshine coast in light traffic. A large section of the road cuts though state forest which has a 4wd track parralel to the highway. A guy in a toyota prius next to me pulled down his window and yelled out that I should be o the the 4wd track and not the highway.
I just shrugged my shoulder and rolled my eyes.

FollowupID: 619302

Reply By: Gramps - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 17:51

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 17:51
ROFLMAO

This thread should have been in Friday Funnies

AnswerID: 351006

Reply By: Wisey - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 21:26

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 21:26
what came first, the chicken or the egg? Sorry it's not relevant.

what came first, the bicycle ............or the car?
what came first, the road .............or the cycleway?

The horse and cart also made way to share the track with the bicycle who shared the road with the motor bike and the motor car and the truck and the semi and the B dbl and...............
So WHO is the most important person on the road who has the most right of way whether their is a purpose built track for their purpose to get to point B in allotted time?

Me of course, I'm the most important and if your in my way and holding me up then watch out whether your in a car, 4by, truck or on a pushie. (Yes i have several bikes and am not afraid to use them )I know where I'm going and know how I'm getting there and I'll do all it takes to get around you and ahead until I arrive at my destination, SAFELY. My safety first and others fall into line after that. OK???????????
Is my safety going to be jepordised by my actions?

Andy
AnswerID: 351051

Reply By: Flywest - Thursday, Feb 26, 2009 at 19:26

Thursday, Feb 26, 2009 at 19:26
S,Ok

Got im wif the door this morning! ;o)

Cheers!
AnswerID: 351199

Sponsored Links