Prado cracks but what about Pajero?? follow on from 66153

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 17:27
ThreadID: 66286 Views:2737 Replies:8 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi

Post 66153 has promoted a lot of good discussion. My summary is;
* there is a weak point in these Prado's, how bad it is depends on the style of driving, extra weight and type of suspension
* normally there is a recall of vehicles, interesting Toyota has not done this.
* what will happen as more of these get to 100-200 km over the next few years is anyone's guess.

My question is does this problem apply to other newer 4WD, ie Pajero, Pathfinder, Patrol (why do they all start with P?). Is it a factor of going too far with making for a car like drive in a 4WD? Pajero is an alternative and any experience with problems in these would help make sensible decisions.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Madfisher - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 18:19

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 18:19
Out of interest have any 90 series cracked as well. About 13 years ago mates d/cab hilux cracked in the firewall area, so not new. I use to have a look at the Paj, and Jack forums never heard of it on those forums.
Cheers Pete
AnswerID: 351013

Follow Up By: Wherehegon - Thursday, Feb 26, 2009 at 23:44

Thursday, Feb 26, 2009 at 23:44
Hi Pete, hows it all going mate ??? My prado is showing no signs of cracking anywhere BUT the old lux (89 model sr5) had two big cracks from the outback roads. Both on the inner guards and were a good 20cm long especially on the passengers side near the main battery, never got any worse but was noticable if you new where to look. Was common on my shape lux due to flexing etc off road............. WHG
0
FollowupID: 619530

Follow Up By: Madfisher - Friday, Feb 27, 2009 at 06:58

Friday, Feb 27, 2009 at 06:58
Goodmorning Whg,
Despite best intentions we do not get away as much as we would like. Getting hard to co ordinate hols with Swmbo and my 13 year son, so vehicles do not get a hard time.
Sold sals Paj for $7400.00 which was a good price, only paid 10500 for it three years ago. In the finish could have soldit three times over.
Had a good look under the Nullarbor , and managed to find a bit of mud in a crevice, so has at lest seen dirt. LOL It has got a drinking problem though, but it is auto and 150 kg heavier.Was going to hang out for a manual, but because of Sals knee , and the condition of this one was to good to pass up.
Have a good one Pete
0
FollowupID: 619542

Reply By: Shaker - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 18:43

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 18:43
What problem?
If you kept it in the same thread it would have continuity.
AnswerID: 351015

Reply By: Notso - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 19:36

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 19:36
Cripes, is it too hard to believe that Toyota my have been the only manufacturer to mess up the design of this sort of vehicle??

AnswerID: 351027

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 20:08

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 20:08
We had a 2.6 litre petrol SWB Pajero with us across the gunbarrel hwy back in the late 80's and both front inner mudguards ripped off the firewall on the corrugations. Can't comment on the later ones but most vehicles eventually succumb to continuous use on such roads.
Peter
1996 Oka Motorhome

Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 351034

Reply By: Member - Glenn G (QLD) - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 21:54

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 21:54
My 98 GU had cracks in the inner guards in identical spots on both sides.

Cheers
Giffo
AnswerID: 351065

Reply By: Russ n Sue - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 22:51

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 22:51
I had an NP Pajero (2005 DiD) that cracked so badly on the radiator support panel that it had to be replaced before the vehicle was 2 years old. Fortunately it was done under warranty and was about the only thing that Mitsubishi fixed under warranty without argument....perhaps because it was a known problem?

The vehicle did 80% of its time on gravel/sand/stony tracks and the remaining 20% on bitumen and the problem was clearly due to vibration stresses.

Can't comment on the later models of Paj though.
AnswerID: 351072

Reply By: ross - Thursday, Feb 26, 2009 at 08:41

Thursday, Feb 26, 2009 at 08:41
Someone on here claimed his 07 Ssanyong ute had cracked the floor 3 times after being repaired.
It was from driving 20klms a day on a gravel road
AnswerID: 351098

Reply By: Jarse - Thursday, Feb 26, 2009 at 19:56

Thursday, Feb 26, 2009 at 19:56
I have an 05 Prado and it has no cracks in spite of my driving skills :-).

Suspect it's a storm in a teacup.
AnswerID: 351205

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (14)