Melbourne-Rockhampton-East Coast to Sydney-Canberra-Melbourne

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 26, 2009 at 11:29
ThreadID: 66308 Views:2931 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

At long last we have 6 weeks away from work. We aim to travel the above route with a 24.5ft Jayco Stirling and two Rottweilers all towed by a 2007, 100 series V8. The trip will include both caravan park and wayside overnight stops. Hopefully a day af Fraser Island. On the way home we will be at the Rottweiler National show at Bargo, NSW, (see all your Rotty fans there).

The van is new and this is its first trip, we are not new to caravanning, the stirling is an upgrade from a Jayco Freedom.

We have all the maps, brochures etc for our intended route, But there is no replacement for experience, hence this post.

We are interested in gems, crystals, new age shops/stores, peace and quiet, fresh air and getting away from busy places. At the same time as enjoying our beautiful country. We are happy to place the dogs in a kennel for a day or overnight when required.

Travelling with dogs is very rewarding but does have its challenges. If anyone wishes to recommend places to visit, as well as caravan parks that can take our rig and welcome dogs we would be most grateful. If anyone knows of somewhere close to Canberra where we could set up over Easter that would also be a great help.

While I surf the net quite a bit, this website is one I visit every time I log on. I have found it to be very informative with some fantastic contributions from members. The administrators also do a great job. Keep it up. Looking forward to all replies. Thanks in advance.

Dave & Carol.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Trevor W(Brisbane) - Thursday, Feb 26, 2009 at 15:16

Thursday, Feb 26, 2009 at 15:16
Near Coffs Harbour just 23 kms north
Woolgoolga - Lake View Caravan Park - lovely quite old fashion park that allows Dogs
Ring and check to confirm as No Dogs during school Holidays
Might be a place to stop for a day or 2 if it suits your plans
AnswerID: 351152

Reply By: Cruiser 2091 - Thursday, Feb 26, 2009 at 16:47

Thursday, Feb 26, 2009 at 16:47
Hi David.

I have a book called "Holidaying with Dogs" by Peter and Sandy Dennis although mine is an old book I am sure current editions would be available.

Enjoy your travels.
AnswerID: 351167

Follow Up By: Member - Julie P (VIC) - Thursday, Feb 26, 2009 at 20:06

Thursday, Feb 26, 2009 at 20:06
Are you going up the Newell? A place called Balatta (NSW) you can get jasper, agates on the roadside - head to the caravan park, and just start walking along the dirt road - bucket loads.
Lots of places in the Glen Innes area - go online - put gemstone fossicking NSW in and see what comes up - near Rockhampton - Mount Hay is famous for thundereggs - there is a campground there (bit rough - but ok) - lots of info from the people, and a really good display, you can fossick for eggs as well - Mount Morgan is an old gold mining town that is being re-opened - if you go on the tour from the railway station you get to go into the mine site - heaps to see and do - lots of history, and one of the best bits is the dinosaur footprints found ono the ceiling of a cave dug when they were looking for fire clay for their furnaces - not accessible to the genereal public.
Again - online - head to fossicking sites - or find your local gem club who will have books, recommendations, mud maps etc if you talk to them nicely - try Victorian Gem Clubs Association for your nearest club - I know there are plenty - Frankston - Waverley - Diamond Creek - Essendon - Mordialloc - and heaps more - will open your eyes as to what is available where. some of the clubs have web sites as well - but VGCA will be able to help you out.

As for the dogs - go for the book recommended by Cruiser, and plan your trip accordingly.
FollowupID: 619486

Sponsored Links