JUST WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR HUGE FISH KILL ?

Submitted: Friday, Feb 27, 2009 at 22:45
ThreadID: 66359 Views:3071 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Yes it has happened AGAIN, hundreds of Murray Cod killed by the release of a flow of water along some of S/W. NSW Rivers and streams which had stopped flowing.

(Google “Fish Kill “)

There will be others who know more than me about these things, but it makes me fume to think that I would cop a $300 + fine if I was found with ONE Murray Cod of 59.5 cm (or any size less than 60 cm ) long in my possession or more than TWO of legal size.
Yet these so called educated people in charge of water and fish management can commit an act that wipes out hundreds if not thousands of native fish and seem to go unpunished.

It has happened before in recent years when water was released from Menindee down the Darling River killing hundreds of fish, so they know what the results of their actions will be.
Because the rivers, and in this recent case creeks as well, have not been flowing, the sections between the holes dry out, when a flow is released the water heats up as it travels over the hot ground of the river/creek bed between the holes warming each water hole as it goes and getting hotter each time until it becomes too hot and deprived of oxygen for fish to survive.

Check the size of some of the fish in the loader bucket.

Geeezzz I could go on and on, I am so annoyed to think this could happen AGAIN.

That’s my winge for today.

Scrubby
Image Could Not Be Found
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Scrubcat (VIC) - Friday, Feb 27, 2009 at 23:13

Friday, Feb 27, 2009 at 23:13
Sorry , should have said Google "Dead Cod "

Here is a bit more about it.

Cod die in water release
Steve Cooper

February 26, 2009
HUNDREDS of fish, including giant Murray cod, have died following the release of stock and domestic water in the Wakool system in southern NSW.

The cod, some more than 50 years old, along with golden and silver perch and European carp, died after hot water filled water holes.

Bungle kills cod

The fish died in incidents involving water flows into Colligen and Merran creeks and the Neimur River on January 29 and February 15.

On January 29, with the temperature at 46C, the NSW Water and Energy Department released 80 megalitres of water for stock and domestic needs.

As the water passed over the hot sand it heated up and by the time it arrived at the holes where the fish were living, it was acidic and deoxygenated.

Three days later, farmer Tim Betts, whose property fronts the Merran Creek, noticed hundreds of dead fish floating to the surface, including old Murray cod more than a metre long and weighing above 25kg.

"I counted 30 dead cod ranging up to 25kg in weight, and then there were so many, I stopped counting," Mr Betts said.

"The birds were feeding on hundreds of smaller fish. Even the shrimp in the creek had died - the water will take years to recover with the big cod, and this probably won't happen in my lifetime."

Mid Northern and Wimmera Anglers Association president Rob Loats described the fish kill as "extremely disappointing, again". A similar case occurred in 2004.

The NSW Department of Water and Energy acknowledged the fish died after it released water.

"It is difficult balancing the needs of the environment and people in need of water," department spokeswoman Bunty Driver said.

In a statement, department deputy director-general David Harriss said: "Fish kills in both creeks (Colligen and Merran) are the result of the oxygen level at the head of the flow being reduced to a very low level by a series of unexpected hot days above 40 degrees, the collection of organic matter and potential liberation of sulphidic sediments."

Two weeks after Mr Harriss issued his statement another fish kill occurred, this time in the Neimur River, due to water being released from Colligen Creek.

John Manual came across hundreds of native fish, including more than 30 big dead cod.

Like Mr Betts, Mr Manual is angry at what he believes was environmental mismanagement.

"I understand farmers need water, but we need better water management because no one wants a river where there is no life," he said.

Scrubby
AnswerID: 351436

Reply By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Saturday, Feb 28, 2009 at 02:04

Saturday, Feb 28, 2009 at 02:04
Where's the flood waters going to go if they don't make room for it , did you think of that.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 351447

Reply By: Member - Tony B (Malanda FNQ) - Saturday, Feb 28, 2009 at 08:15

Saturday, Feb 28, 2009 at 08:15
Scrubby. Very unfortunate indeed. Did you know that this happens regularly in catchments/waterholes all done by nature. while up in Normanton I had to clear thousands of dead barrimundi from the Normanton weir on acouple of occasions. Usually after the first rains that were not quite enough to give the hole/weir a flush.

I agree it makes the laws about taking undersized fish a bit of a joke though! One event can wipe out all the fish that may have been taken anyway. Cheers Tony
AnswerID: 351451

Reply By: ross - Saturday, Feb 28, 2009 at 09:47

Saturday, Feb 28, 2009 at 09:47
Like he says

"It is difficult balancing the needs of the environment and people in need of water," department spokeswoman Bunty Driver said"
AnswerID: 351465

Reply By: JR - Saturday, Feb 28, 2009 at 12:24

Saturday, Feb 28, 2009 at 12:24
The Wakool system has nothing to do with Menindee its near Balranald. Its where Bidgee and Murray meet I think

Id suggest it was now or never for a stock and domestic flow as river levels will fall to very low again shortly

Could have waited till it cooled down though

Its sad to see this happen but the same team are responsible for all the other water WE are buying back from irrigators

JR
AnswerID: 351483

Sponsored Links