Are Black Wolf tetnts supossed to leak without the fly

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 28, 2009 at 15:52
ThreadID: 66372 Views:6187 Replies:9 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,
I have a Black Wolf Compact Turbo and so far it has not been good to me.

1. I bought it in Coffs Harbor but when I got it home I noticed it has blue crosses over the back and what looked like a repair in the back panel. There were also some parts missing
Black Wolf sent me a new one - no cost. I still have the old one as well.
2. I have only used the new one twice. The last time I had the tent up I noticed a small rip in the roof.
Black Wolf repaired it free of charge - took about 6 weeks but they did it for nothing. I just got it back this week.

The repair job looked a bit rough and looks like it has been through the wars as there is a couple of sown on patches on the roof.

Now for my question. I wanted to see if these patches worked so set up the tent today and gave it a bit of hose down without the fly on and water did come in side from the roof. There was some water right in the middle of the tent. Are Black Wolf tents supposed to be water proof without the fly on ????

Just to make my day while checking out the where the water was coming from I noticed I now have a rip in the floor!!!

I know these are supposed to be good tents but my experience so far has not been great although you can not complain about their service as they have replaced/fixed the tent without any cost to me.

At the moment I would not go out with it in the current condition with a hole in the floor. I could have lived with the hole in the roof as have the fly. The original one looks in better condition than the new replacement one.

Richard
PS Any one want to buy 2 Black Wolf Compact Turbos - :)

Just joking.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Boobook2 - Saturday, Feb 28, 2009 at 16:51

Saturday, Feb 28, 2009 at 16:51
They claim the fly is mainly for sun and material protection. It is supposed to be water proof without it. Though I must admit I always put the fly up.
AnswerID: 351517

Reply By: chisel - Saturday, Feb 28, 2009 at 16:57

Saturday, Feb 28, 2009 at 16:57
Mine (300 plus turbo lite) leaks without the fly.Mine isn't canvas though. It leaks around the hooks that are sewn in.
AnswerID: 351518

Reply By: richard - Saturday, Feb 28, 2009 at 17:32

Saturday, Feb 28, 2009 at 17:32
Sounds like it is a feature then.

Running water in you tent :)

I had thought as the patches were new the seams need a bit of wetting - like with canvas tents.

I will have another go.

Richard
AnswerID: 351526

Follow Up By: Boobook2 - Saturday, Feb 28, 2009 at 17:47

Saturday, Feb 28, 2009 at 17:47
They do need seasoning. Especially on the seams.
FollowupID: 619781

Reply By: Kiwi and Grenade - Saturday, Feb 28, 2009 at 17:58

Saturday, Feb 28, 2009 at 17:58
is it the lite or the normal turbo??

We have had both and still have the lite and neither have leaked. Looks like bad luck is on your side for htis one but i would be consistant with BW and get them to replace it as your not happy with it, maybe taking it to the local camping shop and put it up and show them, maybe they can help too.

Good luck
AnswerID: 351531

Reply By: richard - Saturday, Feb 28, 2009 at 18:29

Saturday, Feb 28, 2009 at 18:29
The compact turbo is the full deal I think - but not sure as I believe it is an older model.

There is normally just me but the wife has ventured out on one of the occasions - where it rained no stop and with the fly we did not get wet - but that was before the rip.

I will go back to the camping store - they just opened up a branch Canberra and are very helpful.

I suppose it could be just bad luck - I am sure every onr has gotten two tents with problems in them :).

I did look around a lot and the BW was the best choice for me. I wanted something that is very easy to put up and would fit in the back of my car.

The worst thing is packing it up.

I suppose I can repair the floor myself if they want help this time.

I can't be sure when the rip in the floor occurred but did not notice it the last time I used it and it was VERY we then i think i would have.

Richard
AnswerID: 351538

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Saturday, Feb 28, 2009 at 18:41

Saturday, Feb 28, 2009 at 18:41
Richard,

Why are these "rips" appearing in various parts of the canvas?
Sounds like Black Wolf are being very accommodating regardless.

I have had three canvas tents over the years.
The first was a square touring type tent. The only problem I've had with that was a small hole from a camp fire ember. Repaired that and it's still a good tent, given to my sister-in-law for her family's use.

Both the canvas tent section of the camper trailer and our OzTent RV3 are performing extremely well, not a leak, hole, or tear in any of them.

No quality tent canvas (and Black Wolf is certainly one of them) should leak, regardless of the fly. They do need "seasoned" by a liberal dose of water from a hose, etc. and allowed to dry. This should cause the canvas to swell and shrink and basically seal itself.
Apart from that, only rough treatment would cause a rip or tear in the canvas, or floor of a quality tent.

A fly is only used to create an air gap to assist in reducing heat and not for water proofing. Never used one myself.

Bill

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 351540

Follow Up By: troopyman - Saturday, Feb 28, 2009 at 18:45

Saturday, Feb 28, 2009 at 18:45
Just hosing a canvas tent isnt good enough to season it . It needs to be soaked with good rain then completely dryed in the sun . cheers .
FollowupID: 619790

Reply By: richard - Saturday, Feb 28, 2009 at 19:58

Saturday, Feb 28, 2009 at 19:58
Bill,
I am not sure why the rips. Wasn't a big one but was in a bad spot. It may have gone done putting up the tent or pulling down - not sure.

I have been very careful with and as said only used it two times.

I have set it up a couple of times though like this one.

I am hoping that the problem is due to it not being seasoned so have watered down with a hose.

Waiting for a good rain will take to long (it only rains when you actually go away and use it!!).

I was not sure if the tent itself was supposed to be fully water proof - relying on the fly. Sounds like it should be.

I will leave it up for a few days hoping that it will rain - hasn't for days!!

I am not complaining about Black Wolf the company, as as you said they have been good and accommodating aboutthe whole thing - hopefully still will. One of the things that helped me go BW when looking around was comments on their customer focus.

When I had the problem with the bad tent the sent me out a new one fairly quickly at a time which was would have been one of their busiest times.

I will see if a few more waterings will stop the leak and will try and find out how to patch the floor.

Richard

AnswerID: 351548

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Sunday, Mar 01, 2009 at 10:52

Sunday, Mar 01, 2009 at 10:52
Richard,

Hope you get it sorted matey.

Just a further tip to protect the floor. I always use a section of shadecloth under the tent floor. This provides protection from twigs, stones, etc., from piercing the base and also gives some breathing capability between the tent floor and the ground.

Many Camping Grrounds prefer this sort of groundsheet to limit damage to the grass/lawn they may have as well.

Bill
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 619852

Reply By: richard - Sunday, Mar 01, 2009 at 11:29

Sunday, Mar 01, 2009 at 11:29
Bill,
I have used a ground sheet as well - a doubled over bit of shade cloth.

I put the tent at my fathers place yesterday to check it out and must admit I did not use a ground sheet then - but that was on his lawn and it looked OK - even if dry - no rain here :).

The rip in the floor could have happened at BW but I can't be sure.

I will go back to the camping shop and see what can be done.

My main camping is in a camper - I just got this for doing local trips but still would be good to have one to rely on.

I am sure it will all sort itself out -

Many thanks to you and others comments

Richard
AnswerID: 351634

Reply By: richard - Wednesday, Mar 04, 2009 at 18:38

Wednesday, Mar 04, 2009 at 18:38
After a few hosing downs it ssems to be OK - no more leaking - but will try again.

Now for the hole in the floor.

Black Wolf recommend a vinyl patch or a stuff called VLP.

Has any one used it? I will rais this as a separate question on the forum

Richard
AnswerID: 352195

Sponsored Links