Less was more

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 01, 2009 at 09:56
ThreadID: 66392 Views:2315 Replies:9 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Greetings,
I was born with green genes - but what a bother they are! Always fighting dear old habits giving me a rotten conscience.
When fuel prices were at their worst I decided to kick those habits. Dog Rusty and I had to drive to the outback. To take the 4x4 felt like sin. Our little Daewoo had to do, using a third of fuel.
Those evening fires in my beloved outback - to cook a meal on, to relax and give the stars a grin and dream of younger days long gone - they had to go. I know, my little fire won’t kill the planet. But that’s what everyone says, thousands of them.
An ancient cooker had to do, for methylated spirit, not even pressurised. The flame ambling sleepily under the pot, taking half an hour for a cuppa. But then if you are in a hurry, the outback is not for you.
That little car is very little, and most of the usual luggage had to stay behind, including tent. Instead, a seat was replaced with a mattress. It became Rusty’s runway in the day and my bed at night. My head was under the window of the hatch and above the Nullarbor sky - so magnificent it made you cry with joy. As if the lid had been taken off and the wonder of space laid bare. The driver’s seat, reclined, became Rusty’s bed. That’s where he stretched and smiled and thought of heaven.
Of course, meat and dips and luxuries in jars all stayed at home. The cuisine was strictly minimal: cheese sandwich main course, and one with jam for sweets.
Didn’t do me any harm. It was our best trip ever. All the stuff once dragged with me, and thought so important, commanded attention and diverted. Now free of it, the otherness of the outback came so much closer. Instead of spending time with gadgets we wandered around and talked to trees and clouds.
As often, less turned out to be so much more.
Greetings - Klaus and Rusty
Image Could Not Be Found
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Robin Miller - Sunday, Mar 01, 2009 at 10:01

Sunday, Mar 01, 2009 at 10:01
Appreciate the sentiments Klaus - but they wouldn't have got me up that massive rock strewn hill yesterday like the lockers did.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 351618

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Sunday, Mar 01, 2009 at 10:14

Sunday, Mar 01, 2009 at 10:14
Klaus, you are resorting to the youth we all had. Drive out there with the car we began with. First outback trip in a friends Monaro - four of us. The year before across the Nullabor in a Ford Capri.Home made bar on the front, suitable for galahs and carrying two pair of driving lights. Poorly equipped against you.

You have a great security system for the car. Am sure it was a great trip.
AnswerID: 351622

Reply By: Member - Tony B (Malanda FNQ) - Sunday, Mar 01, 2009 at 10:23

Sunday, Mar 01, 2009 at 10:23
Klaus - Glad you do your bit, but it is not possible for all to do it that way. I used to camp with no fridge or hot food. But then everything was packed in a can or some wrapper.

So I still am a consumer with lots of hobbies that eat energy, but we grow a lot of our own veges and are always planting more rainforrest trees on our 20 acre block that was once fully cleared now 50% covered. We all try to do a bit without going overboard.

I am sure the future will see us balancing our needs with the planets needs, its a learning curve that we must go through. Knowledge is increasing each minute and we will have to learn.

Cheers Tony
AnswerID: 351625

Reply By: Member - Kiwi Kia - Sunday, Mar 01, 2009 at 10:25

Sunday, Mar 01, 2009 at 10:25
Klaus, if it makes you feel any better consider that one burp from a volcano every hundred years or so will probably put more 'pollutants' into the atmosphere then all of mankind put together in the intervening years :-))

First rule of geomorphology; If it's happened before then it's sure to happen again.

Global warming, for the area where I live - bring it on :-))

AnswerID: 351627

Follow Up By: Member - Royce- Sunday, Mar 01, 2009 at 17:36

Sunday, Mar 01, 2009 at 17:36
The bushfires here make human inputs seem small.....

but then again a human started it all!

I'd like the winters to be a few degrees warmer.... and summer is always hot.
FollowupID: 619910

Reply By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Sunday, Mar 01, 2009 at 10:55

Sunday, Mar 01, 2009 at 10:55
Klaus and Rusty
Nothing like it eh... in the outback , all alone, just you and the Dog, and the quietness , I often sit and think about all the noise ,hustle and bustle going on in the cities, your food choices apeal too, My favorite is a bowl of cereal in the morning with long life milk, for lunch Peanut Paste or honey Sanga sitting on a log dribbling honey on the foot. Rusty must enjoy too , looks like he's well named by his color,
Oh and by the way... my first pair of Genes were blue ...lol

Doug & Dusty.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 351629

Follow Up By: Member - Royce- Sunday, Mar 01, 2009 at 17:40

Sunday, Mar 01, 2009 at 17:40
My three month trip around with my two kids included beaut lunches of white bread wrapped around a dollup of peanut BUTTER and somedays a decadant smear of Nuttella!

My jeans are green too. I must wash em soon!
FollowupID: 619911

Reply By: kevanancy - Sunday, Mar 01, 2009 at 16:11

Sunday, Mar 01, 2009 at 16:11
Interesting that you rediscovered your green side "when fuel pricews were at their worst " but hey each to their own .
AnswerID: 351677

Reply By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Sunday, Mar 01, 2009 at 17:01

Sunday, Mar 01, 2009 at 17:01
Well done klaus for living the way you like, and thinking about the
Enviroment ect, we have just got home from doing our bit for the
Clean Up Australia Campaign,in the local area, looks like people are
thinking more about discarding litter ect, less car bodies and old
fridges / washing machines and junk are being dumped in the scrub,
but alass, had to burn some fuel getting there and back to do it.

Cheers
Daza
AnswerID: 351691

Reply By: robertbruce - Sunday, Mar 01, 2009 at 18:50

Sunday, Mar 01, 2009 at 18:50
congratulations Klaus, you found the biggest secret of all....
AnswerID: 351736

Follow Up By: Member - Tony B (Malanda FNQ) - Sunday, Mar 01, 2009 at 20:22

Sunday, Mar 01, 2009 at 20:22
robertbruce. I doubt his experience was that momentous! I would suggest he would not be here to tell a story if it was :-) Cheers Tony
FollowupID: 619960

Reply By: robertbruce - Sunday, Mar 01, 2009 at 20:47

Sunday, Mar 01, 2009 at 20:47
heya Tony, no prolly not a momentious exciting time but soooooooo relaxing it is... like a luxury holiday... with an exotic menu as well...

Klaus - for a really exotic desert....try dipping a teaspoon full of peanut-butter thru a small tumbler of rum and then thru a tin of milo... this is realllly living....lol..
AnswerID: 351761

Sponsored Links