Old Hwys that have been bypassed are now just dumping areas!!.

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 01, 2009 at 19:00
ThreadID: 66415 Views:3029 Replies:4 FollowUps:21
This Thread has been Archived
Onr a return trip from the big smoke to-day, We decided to go the" Old Way" to get away from the freeway chit fight!, only to be amazed at the amount of rubbish thats been just thrown out the window with out a care in the world!!. I'm a messy bugger! but at least i keep it all in my own territory..lol. Also The RTA and all its energetic staff could probably do a better job on control of this caper IMHO .

Cheers Axle.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Sunday, Mar 01, 2009 at 19:58

Sunday, Mar 01, 2009 at 19:58
It's amazing the lengths that some mongrels will go to Axel. When I was working in Shepparton some years ago, mongrels from Melbourne would come up from Melbourne with tanker loads of oils and heavy weight toxic substances and spray them on the dusty unsealed roads. Locals thought it was the coucil puttinig something on to keep the dust down. It contaminated farmlands and ground water.Check out any spare block of land in industrial estates in the city, people just dump trailer loads of rubbish on them, usually late at night to avoid tip fees. Perhaps if our cost cutting councils didn't charge the rate payers to use the "transfer stations" or do away with hard rubbish, we'd see less of the roadside dumping. Let's give the EPA some more money in the Federal Spendfest. That might help too.

Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 351749

Follow Up By: get outmore - Sunday, Mar 01, 2009 at 20:23

Sunday, Mar 01, 2009 at 20:23
sorry mick but not charging wont make any difference. i lived in a council that had free tipping and still plenty of dumping went on
FollowupID: 619961

Follow Up By: Member - Mark E (VIC) - Sunday, Mar 01, 2009 at 20:38

Sunday, Mar 01, 2009 at 20:38
Whilst I don't condone the dumping of rubbish anywhere except in proper transfer stations, the cost of doing so is now prohibitive and discourages people from doing the right thing.

Last time I took a load of rubbish to the tip near me (in Melbourne) it was $38.00......(ouch). In the current financial mess we're in, I wouldn't be surprised if this type of thing escalates.

Don't get me started on councils.

Cheers,

Mark
FollowupID: 619965

Follow Up By: Member - Axle - Sunday, Mar 01, 2009 at 20:55

Sunday, Mar 01, 2009 at 20:55
No excuse to chuck your macca"s! rubbish out the window, or the mars bar wrapper, or the empty plastic drink container,or the disposable nappy, or the empty fag packet, or the used condom, it can all fit in a woolies plastic bag and go in the bin at home.

Cheers Axle.
FollowupID: 619971

Follow Up By: Member - Ian W (NSW) - Sunday, Mar 01, 2009 at 21:07

Sunday, Mar 01, 2009 at 21:07
Bit of a conundrum this one.

What is the answer?

I get a bit pee'd off when I pay something like $28:00 to take a load of lawn clippings to the local transfer station when I know that they process the stuff and then resell it.

There has to be a balance somewhere along the line that actively encourages people to dispose of their waste in a responsible manner.

I'm not having a shot at my local Council because where I live all waste other than that that goes into your wheely bin has been taken over by our state government.

Ian
FollowupID: 619975

Follow Up By: Saharaman (aka Geepeem) - Sunday, Mar 01, 2009 at 21:29

Sunday, Mar 01, 2009 at 21:29
We dont have that sort of problem (tip fees) in Queensland (the Smart state). I took a load of demolition waste to the tip today at Dakabin expecting to pay $5 which used to be the charge but the guy just waved me on - must be free now. How good is that!!!!!
Cheers,
GPM
FollowupID: 619980

Follow Up By: Member - Axle - Sunday, Mar 01, 2009 at 21:39

Sunday, Mar 01, 2009 at 21:39
Your Kidding!!, $100.00 Tonne, in NSW.

Stumps!! over 600mm diameter, $300 .00 Tonne.

Try tell the customer ...lol.

Axle
FollowupID: 619981

Follow Up By: Saharaman (aka Geepeem) - Sunday, Mar 01, 2009 at 21:43

Sunday, Mar 01, 2009 at 21:43
Clarification - there are tip fees for commercial operators and commercial quantities. I am talking about domestic users - used to be a charge of $5 per ute or trailer load - but for some reason today I was not charged... (LOL).
FollowupID: 619984

Follow Up By: Axel [ the real one ] - Monday, Mar 02, 2009 at 09:29

Monday, Mar 02, 2009 at 09:29
Saharaman , no such thing as "free" dumping in Brisbane , not since J.S as the lord of the manor declared "user pays" , Voucher system for ratepayers was ok for a time ,then became non transferable so to most pensioners became useless ; over the last few yrs with CanDo at the helm the qty of vouchers per ratepayer has fallen from 5x green waste + 5x general waste to 3+2 per yr , a 6x4 normal trailer load of green waste and you need 2 vouchers straight up if the weight is 1/2 a kg over 100kg ,,, "User Pays " ,,what the do we rate payers pay rates for !!
FollowupID: 620021

Follow Up By: Saharaman (aka Geepeem) - Monday, Mar 02, 2009 at 17:16

Monday, Mar 02, 2009 at 17:16
That may be so Axel, but Im not talking about Brisbane, we are in Moreton Bay Council and the fact is I was not charged when dumping a load of demolition waste on Sunday. It was a sort of TIC comment that I didnt have to pay this time (usually $5 a load).
Cheers,
GPM
FollowupID: 620063

Reply By: Gronk - Sunday, Mar 01, 2009 at 21:05

Sunday, Mar 01, 2009 at 21:05
Especially after the Vic fires.......and how many do start fires ?? the number of people who still throw their butts out the window....when the ashtray is only 8 inches away ??

And I know a few of you reading this are guilty.....maybe we should hold you down and stub some ciggie butts out on your arms and legs to get the message across !!!
AnswerID: 351764

Follow Up By: Member - Ian W (NSW) - Sunday, Mar 01, 2009 at 21:13

Sunday, Mar 01, 2009 at 21:13
What are you guilty of Gronk?

Don't try to tell us you are squeaky clean.

Yes! Without a doubt there are people who do as you say.

Now what!

Do you require each visitor to this site defend themselves against your open ended accusation?

I find your post to be in poor taste at the least, and offensive in the extreme.

Ina
FollowupID: 619976

Follow Up By: briann532 - Sunday, Mar 01, 2009 at 21:59

Sunday, Mar 01, 2009 at 21:59
Ina or is that Ian?

Its a shame Gronk's comments offended you, but I didn't see him referring to all smokers.
I thought he was making comment to the thoughtless ones who litter and pose a fire risk throwing their butts out the window.

If you are one of these thoughtless people, (And I'm not implying you are!!!, so don't be offended) then his comments are highlighting the need to let people know this behaviour is not acceptable.

I know when I pull up at a set of traffic lights, I see hundreds of butts littering the street.
I have 2 toddlers whose nappies I change whilst travelling.
Would you defend me if I tossed the "deposits" out the window???

Take Grongs comments in the spirit they were intended.
I don't thing anyone on this site intends offence.

Brian
FollowupID: 619989

Follow Up By: Gronk - Sunday, Mar 01, 2009 at 22:44

Sunday, Mar 01, 2009 at 22:44
Open ended accusation ???? Nope.....specifically targetted at butt throwers ..

Did I hit a raw nerve ?? Only if you are a butt thrower..

The only person(s) I referred to was ciggy butt throwers....

and no, I'm not squeaky clean.....but I don't throw butts out the window......and after the Vic fires, I challenge anybody to try and defend butt throwers..

Poor taste ?? I don't think so......IF you was a butt thrower, how would you feel if just one of those fires were deemed to be started by one ???
FollowupID: 619995

Follow Up By: curious - Sunday, Mar 01, 2009 at 23:31

Sunday, Mar 01, 2009 at 23:31
Gronk, I agree with you. I get cranky at smokers holding their cigarettes out the car window so they won't get smoke in the car and then throwing the butt on the ground to avoid filling their car ashtray. I've got out of the car at traffic lights and chucked the butt back in their car a couple of times. - Peter
FollowupID: 619999

Follow Up By: Member - Royce- Sunday, Mar 01, 2009 at 23:58

Sunday, Mar 01, 2009 at 23:58
It amazes me that you can't use a mobile phone..... but you can burn paper and leaf material in a car while you are driving.

It's hard to police the mobile phone use, but fags can be seen way more easily.

I have no doubt that law abiding, but stupid citizens have been part of the fires 'intentionally' lit. A but out a window reads the same.
FollowupID: 620001

Reply By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Monday, Mar 02, 2009 at 00:31

Monday, Mar 02, 2009 at 00:31
Axle
Know exactly what you mean... couple of years back I had to meet a truck on the corner Wesco Rd and Hopkins Rd, I took the wrong road to start with and ended up on the East side of Barbagallo Raceway, so to get to Wesco rd I noticed on the gps a track , Orchid Rd , West Aussies will know where I was , anyhow this track was bloody rough through a forest, I was stunned to see so much rubish dumped in there, both household and Industrial , anyhow the track got me to the truck , he was still loading the Dozer,

this area on GE S31 38 36.9 E115 47 25.9

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 351809

Follow Up By: Wayne's 60 - Monday, Mar 02, 2009 at 01:09

Monday, Mar 02, 2009 at 01:09
Hi Doug,
Unfortunately the situation is no better now days with people dumping their rubbish through the entire Gnangara plantation area, where you were was the northern part of this area. I'm there frequently to run training courses and the rubbish increases on an almost daily basis. Tipping fees may be partially to blame, though I think lazy people would be the main cause with some rubbish being dumped in truck load sized piles and all this happens within one hundred metres of the main road and over Perth's main water resource. Very much a concern.

Cheers,
Wayne.
FollowupID: 620004

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Monday, Mar 02, 2009 at 01:18

Monday, Mar 02, 2009 at 01:18
Wayne
I don't know why they can't have some policing of the area at night or council inspectors and hit the culprits with a big fat fine.

On looking at GE i could have gone a better route than the one i did , followed Wattle around the north of the raceway onto Hopkins .

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 620005

Follow Up By: Wayne's 60 - Monday, Mar 02, 2009 at 10:29

Monday, Mar 02, 2009 at 10:29
Good morning Doug,

I think two words, "cost cutting", come into the equation when asking why there are not rangers on patrol at all hours. You would also have to ask at what cost to the council, to continually clean the area up and remove the rubbish?

Cheers,
Wayne.
FollowupID: 620029

Follow Up By: Member - Lionel A (WA) - Monday, Mar 02, 2009 at 17:50

Monday, Mar 02, 2009 at 17:50
Was up that way a couple of weeks ago. Near the power station.

The sad thing is that some of the tracks in the area required dropped tyre pressures and low range to get through and the amount of rubbish around the area was astonishing. The same 4wders will probably jump up and down if the area is closed off.

Cheers....Lionel.
FollowupID: 620071

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Monday, Mar 02, 2009 at 18:36

Monday, Mar 02, 2009 at 18:36
Wayne

Copy of email just sent ..

I hope I have the right Shire for this issue ,If not could you please forward the email on to the correct Shire,The area of concern is in the Pinjar Plantation and surrounds, As I am a member of the ExplorOz website which is based in Perth I have taken part in a discussion about rubbish in the area named, As I said in my replies to the original post I noticed a lot of rubbish in the area adjacant to Orchid Road between Barbagallo Raceway and Wesco Rd , this was 2 years ago and I guess the rubbish one person mentioned is probably some that I seen 2 years ago , the whole area is a disgrace , it must be cleaned up , and the area policed by Shire Inspectors,

You can read the comments at this URLhttp://www.exploroz.com/Forum/Topic/66415/Old_Hwys_that_have_been_bypassed_are_now_just_dumping_areas.aspx
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 620079

Follow Up By: Member - Axle - Monday, Mar 02, 2009 at 18:56

Monday, Mar 02, 2009 at 18:56
Good show Doug!, Lets hope it might raise some attention!

Cheers Axle.
FollowupID: 620085

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Tuesday, Mar 03, 2009 at 16:49

Tuesday, Mar 03, 2009 at 16:49
Wayne & Axle

Email recieved today

Doug

I have forwarded your email onto the city of Wanneroo. Hope this is of some help.

Thanks
Rikki Bellairs
CUSTOMER SERVICE OFFICER

Shire of Waroona
PO Box 20
WAROONA WA 6215
Ph: (08) 9733 7800 Fax: (08) 9733 1883

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 620209

Reply By: Member - Rotord - Monday, Mar 02, 2009 at 14:03

Monday, Mar 02, 2009 at 14:03
Australians throw butts , litter and dump because the level of enforcement and fines are so low that it implies the government doesn't care and so you can do what you wish . Race and football crowds can use the lawn as a rubbish bin . Singapore used to be worse than Australia until the government brought in severe fines , try a weeks pay for a butt , or a years pay for discarding a newspaper . Singapore is now clean . Now before the left wing trendies among us claim that Singapore is a fascist state with no personal freedoms and we can't follow their lead , Switzerland is also clean , for the same reasons as Singapore .

When a government gets serious about litter , and the penalties take effect , a change in culture follows . Throw a butt in Singapore or Switzerland now and you probably wont be fined because a local will pick up the butt and return it to you with e friendly warning .

And for those concerned about draconian fines , these ones aren't because no one has to litter and incur the fine.
AnswerID: 351858

Sponsored Links