Bushmechanics

Submitted: Sunday, Aug 17, 2003 at 15:42
ThreadID: 6642 Views:1912 Replies:3 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Bushmechanics

Here are some more bush remedies for older 4bys before they became too bloody technical. Suppose you can butcher a newer one as well"K¡K

Broken suspension"K.jack vehicle body up and place a stump of wood between the body and chassis and tie down tightly with wire. Drive slowly "&cause vehicle will drive like a go-kart.

Broken shockie¡K..remove and ignore

Broken rear axle or tailshaft universal¡K¡Kremove broken axle bit or remove tailshaft and drive home in 4x4 on front wheels

Stuffed clutch¡K.depress clutch pedal with the help of another person or a heavy object. Remove clutch inspection cover. Wedge bits of wood or rope or bits of rubber tube between clutch disc and pressure plate. When the clutch cannot move, select first gear and start engine. Vehicle should start and move forward. You can match gear changes with engine revs. You can also do the latter if you have lost all the clutch fluid.

Gearbox full of neutrals¡K¡K.remove inspection hatch on top of gearbox. A broken gear lever can be replaced by a screwdriver. Try to select a gear. Even if it is reverse. At least you will be able to see where you have been on the way home ƒº

Busted radiator hose¡K¡Kwrap tape or anything of similar use around the hole and drive slowly with the radiator cap removed.

Busted radiator¡K.isolate hole and bend radiator fins over to cut off leaks. Use araldyte or similar to seal. A wooden wedge can also be used to stop a leak. If it is only a small leak and you have no Bars Leaks with you then a few grains of pepper into the radiator inlet should do the trick.

Leak in fuel tank¡K..the old soap trick works well as a temporary measure. Or the blue and white putty kneaded into a consistency should seal the hole permanently.

You"'ve sunk the 4by in the creek and slurped some water into the engine¡K¡K¡K¡K..If it has a Petrol engine your are OK. Get the vehicle out of the creek. Remove all the sparkplugs and crank the engine. When all of the water has been squirted out of the chambers replace the plugs. Dry any other electrical equipment. Check sump for water ingestion. If there has been water ingestion then the oil will be milky. Drain oil and replace with new oil. Crank starter and vehicle should start.

BUT if you have done this with a diesel powered vehicle then there is no salvation. Best to be on friendly terms with your bank manager because it will necessitate a complete engine rebuild.

Snorkels on diesels are a must.

Gunbarrel Highway.

Always going somewhere
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: 4by - Sunday, Aug 17, 2003 at 17:55

Sunday, Aug 17, 2003 at 17:55
Williem,
Very informative as always - thanks.
Looks like you wrote it with the h-iK ups though haha
AnswerID: 28201

Follow Up By: Williewags- Sunday, Aug 17, 2003 at 18:04

Sunday, Aug 17, 2003 at 18:04
Yeah, it looks like I have been on the bleep all afternoon. I wrote it in Word and then copied it over. Something must have corrupted somewhere. Bloody computers !

Gunbarrel Highway.

Always going somewhere
FollowupID: 19518

Follow Up By: Member - Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Sunday, Aug 17, 2003 at 18:30

Sunday, Aug 17, 2003 at 18:30
I think perhaps it's the Muscat's fault......:)Laugh alot..life's too short not to....

the lad's "shed" !!!...or is that his castle?
FollowupID: 19522

Reply By: Williewags- Sunday, Aug 17, 2003 at 19:03

Sunday, Aug 17, 2003 at 19:03
Be nice to me...I have a slight headache.........

Gunbarrel Highway.

Always going somewhere
AnswerID: 28215

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Aug 17, 2003 at 20:23

Sunday, Aug 17, 2003 at 20:23
At least you got copy and paste to work in here, phukt if I can...

tried the other day, just kept erroring... :(
FollowupID: 19539

Follow Up By: Williewags- Sunday, Aug 17, 2003 at 21:25

Sunday, Aug 17, 2003 at 21:25
I have had Copy and Paste work in the past OK...why it got the ....iKiKiK.......I really can't figure.......Tonight everything is so slow on this site.....maybe the worm is at it...I run Windows 98 so hope I'm in the clear......have had one Exploroz jam up already this evening.....time to go to bed I think.
Cheers,
Willie

Gunbarrel Highway.

Always going somewhere
FollowupID: 19541

Reply By: Member - Alpaca (SA) - Sunday, Aug 17, 2003 at 21:04

Sunday, Aug 17, 2003 at 21:04
Williewags, still getting used to that handle besides the other name didn't need as many pokes on the keyboard to spell it.
Question:- with the wood bit to fill a small hole, should you use a green bit so that as it absorbs the moisture, it will swell up and fill the hole better?
Mrs Al don't get too excited!!! I'll reply to your last reply when I've finished the cold shower.
Alpaca
AnswerID: 28237

Follow Up By: Williewags- Sunday, Aug 17, 2003 at 21:31

Sunday, Aug 17, 2003 at 21:31
Just as well I did not choose Cadibarrawirracanna !!!

I am not so sure about the wood bit and the green bit and the thing that makes it swell up and Mrs Al......I think there is a play on words here somewhere..............Is the Cape Leveque trip still on ?????????
Cheers,
Willie

Gunbarrel Highway.

Always going somewhere
FollowupID: 19542

Follow Up By: Member - Alpaca (SA) - Sunday, Aug 17, 2003 at 21:43

Sunday, Aug 17, 2003 at 21:43
Williewags, Can I come hide at your place?Alpaca
FollowupID: 19544

Follow Up By: Member - Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 07:23

Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 07:23
Chicken!!!

Lyn

Laugh alot..life's too short not to....

FollowupID: 19565

Follow Up By: Williewags- Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 16:26

Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 16:26
Alpaca, Yes you may come and hide here any time. I have a few outbuildings.

We hope though that Mrs Al doesn't get a snuff of where it is or you will be in REAL trouble.

Williewags

Gunbarrel Highway.

Always going somewhere
FollowupID: 19599

Follow Up By: Member - Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 16:30

Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 16:30
you know what they say about running and not hiding....I'll find you..and when I do.............!!!!????

we can eat mudcrabs with sweet chilli sauce

Lyn

Laugh alot..life's too short not to....

FollowupID: 19601

Follow Up By: ThePublican - Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 17:35

Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 17:35
This chit chat almost sounds like the "run rabbit run ,dont let the farmer have his fun ,every friday is rabbit pie day" ad on tv.
FollowupID: 19610

Sponsored Links