The Maroondah Hwy Vic might be closed for six weeks

Submitted: Monday, Mar 02, 2009 at 11:03
ThreadID: 66433 Views:2530 Replies:7 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Everyone

I just thought I’d let you all know if it matters, people who live in the Victorian fire affected areas of Narbethong, Marysville and Buxton area are saying that the Maroondah Hwy Victoria between Healesville and Narbethong (the Black Spur, a major sealed bush road) will probably be closed for about six weeks according to the police, and it’s already been closed for about three.

There was a fire in the spur that’s been out for about a week and a half now (a cold and slow moving fire) and apparently the police are worried of falling trees and branches, and they also want to keep tourists and looters out. The CFA and people who are authorised to go in say that with the most of the fire not being a hot one, it was mainly just the undergrowth burning slowly like fuel reduction burning, there’s not a great deal more falling trees than normal (they happen all the time anyway, I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve jumped out to clear them).

I’ve heard a lot of people say that they think the police need to use their noggins more, they’re making everyone do a detour around via Alexandra, Yea and the Melba Hwy. Going through the spur between Melbourne and Narbethong is about 44 km 40 minutes, taking the detour is about 148 km and 2 hours 10 minutes. When people are doing three times the kilometres and distance, there’s three times the chance of an accident occurring, plus there’s the 15 minutes of roadworks for the pipeline on the Melba Hwy, you don’t want unnecessary traffic going through roadworks, plus the Melba Hwy was all burnt just like the spur and there’s the risk of fallen trees there to, you weigh it all up, they’re not really making anything safer.

People in the area can’t go to work when the road’s closed, volunteers can’t come up very easily, builders, insurance people etc can’t get up and the area can’t get back on its feet until the roads open.

So if you’re one of the many kind four wheel drivers planning to go to these area and help the community, clear the tracks that sort of thing, you might have to take that detour around. We’re all fighting for locals, volunteers, delivery drivers etc to be allowed through the spur, but they can keep the tourists out if they really want.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Robin Miller - Monday, Mar 02, 2009 at 13:06

Monday, Mar 02, 2009 at 13:06
My guess is about easter KingKennas.

4wding in the Murrindindi area is now be a lot harder as DSE appear to have gone around the entire forest and placed "Area Closed Signs" up on all of the tracks they are aware of.

Even areas I have already been to and were only lighty affected are closed now, probably easier to do this than check in detail,
however the consequences are quite real for some.
I spent some time with Glenburn roadhouse people on saturday and after losing all there houses etc they are facing loss of jobs
as the tourist trade is drying up.

Lots of oddities are happening around the place as per the following 2 examples.

1/ I came across 4 CFA tankers chewing the cud in a fire backwater and spoke to them for quite a while. They seemed to be waiting for a controller to come, and were all backed up in a small clearing against some very thick tea-tree scrub just outside a burnt area and near where 3 tracks branch off.
After a bit of talking it became apparent that they had absolutely no idea where they were, or of the make up of the surrounding high risk countryside.
I looked closer and realized they were South Aussies.
If a flare up had of happened I wouldn't want to be following them.

2/ About 3 years ago I campaigned against the blocking off of a river crossing right next to a new bridge across the Murrindindi river.
They just placed a huge tree across the diversion which we used to use for 4wd training as well.
A bulldozer, which could not fit across the bridge has quickly pushed the huge tree section out of the way and re-opened the culvert in what appears to be an attempt to get ahead of the fire.

I seriously enjoyed crossing that little river.

I will try not to say I told them so - but as soon as it is appropriate I will re-visit that campaign.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 351845

Reply By: Member - Smiley Bill - Monday, Mar 02, 2009 at 17:25

Monday, Mar 02, 2009 at 17:25
Hi folks,

A very real danger at the moment are the dead trees close to the side of the road. The dry weather of the past few years combined now with very dry ground from the fires means the trees aren't hanging on by much at all considering most of them are on a slope of some sort.

If these winds they are expecting materialize tomorrow the safest place to be would be over in the west.

Nobody has Kevlar hair.

SB
AnswerID: 351883

Reply By: DIO - Monday, Mar 02, 2009 at 18:22

Monday, Mar 02, 2009 at 18:22
Roads are generally closed for safety reasons. Who would seriously want to argue about that. If (IF) the public were allowed and someone gets killed all hell breaks loose blaming the authorities for not having prevented it. etc. Wah, wah, wah !!!
AnswerID: 351893

Reply By: Red Patrol - Monday, Mar 02, 2009 at 19:59

Monday, Mar 02, 2009 at 19:59
KK.

FYI It is not the Police who decide which road to close or open. It is the role of the CFA/DSE incident controller. (ICC) Dont blame the coppers when they dont have the control of the situation. The coppers basically do what they are told to by the ICC. Take it up with the proper authority, not the meat in the sandwich.

Red
AnswerID: 351907

Reply By: Best Off Road - Monday, Mar 02, 2009 at 20:48

Monday, Mar 02, 2009 at 20:48
Is the Caravan Park in Narby still there?

Nice place, almost like bush camping with facilities. Owners even used to supply fire drums and firewood.

Cheers,

Jim.

AnswerID: 351914

Follow Up By: kingkennas - Monday, Mar 02, 2009 at 21:03

Monday, Mar 02, 2009 at 21:03
Yes, from the Black Spur Inn to Dom Dom Saddle, all the properties are in basically perfect condition, not much fire went through that area.
FollowupID: 620113

Follow Up By: Best Off Road - Monday, Mar 02, 2009 at 21:36

Monday, Mar 02, 2009 at 21:36
Thanks,

Based on that I trust the Pub is still there,

We stayed at the Van Park about 18 months ago and had a lovely lunch at the Pub.

Jim.

FollowupID: 620115

Follow Up By: kingkennas - Monday, Mar 02, 2009 at 21:44

Monday, Mar 02, 2009 at 21:44
Not only is the pub still there, they're supplying complimentary food and accomodation for people without homes and they're the base for the CFA, DSE, Human Services, Centrelink, Army etc, they've been on the news twice, they've been all over talk back radio and the premier came to meet the owners the other day. The locals really don't want them to burn down if another fire comes through.
FollowupID: 620117

Reply By: Crackles - Monday, Mar 02, 2009 at 21:57

Monday, Mar 02, 2009 at 21:57
Be patient & let the authorities go about their jobs making the area safe. No one should even remotely consider helping clear the tracks yet. Tracks will in many areas be closed for up to a year until they can get dozers & excavators to remove dangerous trees & allow the area to consolidate. If you are at all serious about helping those effected by the fire directly, you'd know access is being allowed to properties when necessary.
Cheers Craig..........
AnswerID: 351927

Reply By: wollyw - Monday, Mar 02, 2009 at 22:00

Monday, Mar 02, 2009 at 22:00
the melba highway is open
mansfield and beyond are all still safe and open .
the merrijig rodeo is on this weekend also so come and visit.
i think a lot of people do not realise that some parts of the state have not been burnt and are welcoming tourists
AnswerID: 351931

Sponsored Links