4.2 Patrol power ups & fuel consumption figures

Submitted: Monday, Mar 02, 2009 at 20:52
ThreadID: 66448 Views:3872 Replies:5 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
Gday all

I have heard of some pretty impressive figures coming out of the 4.2 Intercooled oil burners lately, just wondering If owners could give me some accurate figures of power output and what enhancements that had to be done to achieve them.
Secondly some fuel consumption figures towing, touring fully loaded with no trailer and around town would be appreciated.

Cheers Ingo
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Dave(NSW) - Monday, Mar 02, 2009 at 23:49

Monday, Mar 02, 2009 at 23:49
Talk to Trevor R QLD, He should be able to give you an idea about serious power ups for the 4.2.

Cheers Dave...
GU RULES!!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 351947

Follow Up By: Member - Ingo57 (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 03, 2009 at 08:08

Tuesday, Mar 03, 2009 at 08:08
Hi Dave

I am thinking of "maybe" trading over to a stock 4.2 and swapping all my gear over. My concern is the drop in performance from the 4.8 however I remember hearing about some decent kws coming out of 4.2's (worth a look )

What range would you get out of your 220 Litres of Diesel fully loaded and around town?

Cheers
FollowupID: 620150

Follow Up By: Dave(NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 03, 2009 at 08:58

Tuesday, Mar 03, 2009 at 08:58
Ingo57,
I'm using roughly 16Lt per 100K, You can certainly make the 4.2 go but depending on how much will be $$$$. Also remember more HP means more fuel. Like I said before check out Trevor's profile he has a Dyno sheet on there which will give you an idea what can be done.
Cheers Dave...
GU RULES!!

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 620156

Follow Up By: Trevor R (QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 03, 2009 at 09:31

Tuesday, Mar 03, 2009 at 09:31
G'day Dave, I was looking at your rig in Shane's vids of the Northern NSW trip in Jan and was thinking of dropping you a MM when I read this post, funny how it works.

Ingo, The 4.2 even when seriously worked will probably leave you a little dissapointed compared to your 4.8. The 4.8 goes like stink in factory form so even small powerups on yours would be awesome. If you do want to go down the diesel road you can safely predict around 50% plus increase over factory specs if you do the right mods to the 4.2 intercooled. I started (my green one) with a non intercooled fatory turbo 4.2, it had 66kw at the wheels when it left the factory and now runs 126kw at the wheels. Speak to mobs like MTQ (In Toowoomba) or Motson's (In Brisbane) or Mike Vine Turbo's (Also in Brisbane) to get a full understanding of what is necessary to get these sort of results. It will cost you a pretty penny to get serious results but they are a whole lot of fun (comparitive to factory) when done right. I get around 14.5lt/100km when empty but more often than not it is up closer to 15+lt/100km as I am normally loaded to GVM. When towing expect 20lt/100km, I did record 23lt/100km following a mate of mine home from Innaminka last year, I had the van on the back and pulling a dollar 30 odd at times so is it any wonder.

If you don't mind me asking, what is your logic and reasoning behind the change over?

Best regards,
Trevor.
FollowupID: 620161

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Tuesday, Mar 03, 2009 at 09:54

Tuesday, Mar 03, 2009 at 09:54
Hi Trevour

126kw is pretty cool, about the same as my 4800.
How have you gone on preserving low down torque ?
Couple of my friends have warmed up there 4.2's but only to the around 100kw stage but have not been able to maintain same increase down real low around 800-1200rpm which is annoying the hell out of them.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 620163

Follow Up By: Member - Ingo57 (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 03, 2009 at 10:21

Tuesday, Mar 03, 2009 at 10:21
Gday Peter

I am not convinced yet to swap over( I love me 4.8), just looking at the option.

Main reason being we are planning to do the big lap in a few years and averaging out a fuel bill for the petrol and diesel. Although I don't have one yet we are also looking at pulling a CT for the 50,000 odd kms.

My thirsty beast averages around 27lt/100km fully loaded and towing a trailer with bikes is around the same maybe as high as 29lt/100km, granted that is driving it like a car and maintaining speed limit (or slightly over).
Range also comes into it as well seeing we have intentions of doing the bigger trips like the CSR on the lap.

So Just crunching numbers to guesstimate If the whole exercise will be worth it in the end.

Ingo
FollowupID: 620167

Follow Up By: Dave(NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 03, 2009 at 11:05

Tuesday, Mar 03, 2009 at 11:05
Hi Trev,

Yeah Mark & Shane did a great job with those videos,We just need to do a few more trips like that one.

I see you haven't gone down the Diesel Gas option yet? Your getting pretty good fuel figures considering the up grades you've done. My main problem is the constant weight (3T empty), I'm about to change the 3.9 diffs to 4.11 which should help on take off & maintain speed a bit better on hills.

Hi Robin,
Larger tires kill the torque on the diesels, Mine puts out 100KW RW but the lack of power on long hills is the reason for changing Diff ratios.

Cheers Dave...
GU RULES!!

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 620178

Follow Up By: Doggy Tease - Tuesday, Mar 03, 2009 at 19:40

Tuesday, Mar 03, 2009 at 19:40
Lots of ponies ready to be unleashed from a 4.2 mate. Haver a look through this thread for a better idea.

http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6368

hope this helps.

meow.

rick.
FollowupID: 620228

Follow Up By: Trevor R (QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 03, 2009 at 21:48

Tuesday, Mar 03, 2009 at 21:48
Firstly I just want to retract my fuel figures Dave, I am claiming the fuel figures from my new GU (the bronze one) which I am now driving all the time. This bronze one at only 98RWKW has plenty of low rpm torque but nowhere near as much HP as my green one which is now SWMBO's taxi :-((. Dave in my Green one there was nearly a 40% drop in power figures from Nissan's flywheel figures to rear wheel figures so if the same is true after my powerups I am now approximately getting 175 flywheel KW, not far off the 4.8 figures in terms of HP.

My Green one (which has the 126RWKW) used to drink around the 15.5-16lt/100km I think, it has been a while since I was in this one so not 100% certain and just going off memory.

Robin, with my green GU I am not sure what % increase I have done in regards to the low rpm torque but I know mine is no less than the standard 4.2 so I can not specifically answer this aspect for your friends. Crawler gear well and truely fix any chance of dissapointment when off road though. My Bronze GU (which I bought, already modified) is amazing down low but leaves plenty in the top end compared to my green GU but both have very similar mods, go figure???. I have been reading alot about the angle of the wheels in the turbo's making big differences as to where the power is delivered in the rev range and I suspect no two turbo wheels coming out of MTQ are identical which will give varying degrees of results when it all boils down to it.

I built my green one to belt along the black top fully loaded and wanted my power to suit this application which is why I sacrificed real low down increases for the benifit of higher rpm HP. If you stick with the factory GU turbo but change exhausts and dump pipes ect you can get very impressive low rpm torque but only around the 100-110RWKW at best. Put the MTQ turbo on and you will definately end up with higher HP but more than likely a little less low rpm torque when compared to a worked and tuned GU with factory turbo, but both options are way more than the factory specs on a factory GU. I have the dyno of my Green one on my rig profile and it is easy to see where my power is on song, up and above 100kph. Take into cosideration this is in 5th gear but my driving is done in 4th due to the nature of my loads and it is easy to see that from 85-90kph in 4th right through to 135 in 5th I have very healthy overtaking caracteristics, which was my requirements.

Back to Ingo's question as to viability to change vehicles, I think he is well armed to do the sums himself but I suspect the 4.8 may be better staying in your garage mate?? Good luck number crunching hehehehe.

Best regards to all,
Trevor.
FollowupID: 620264

Reply By: Old Johno [NSW] - Tuesday, Mar 03, 2009 at 09:51

Tuesday, Mar 03, 2009 at 09:51
G'day Ingo,
We have had similar results as Trevor.
Initial motor was the Nissan intercooled turbo. Have added a 3" mandrel bent exhaust (including the drop pipe), had the turbo worked by MTQ (Qld), the base fuel load was upgraded by JC Diesels (Narrelan NSW), and have recently added an electric fan to the top of the intercooler (really noticeable on a hot day). Once the turbo really fires up at just over 2000rpm there is a great difference but would still not compete with your 4.8 off the mark.
AnswerID: 351980

Reply By: Member - John - Tuesday, Mar 03, 2009 at 11:09

Tuesday, Mar 03, 2009 at 11:09
Ingo, I am getting 105 kw and 600 nm and 13.4 lts/100k's. Drive it like a car. Towing a camper trailer at 100 k/hr, 16-17 lts/100k's. Have 3" mandrel exhaust and drop pipe, MTQ turbo with the bigger wheels each end, custom inter cooler, about 50% bigger, still to put the LPG and water cooled i/c on, see what I get then. Running 285/75 tyres.

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 351992

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 03, 2009 at 14:53

Tuesday, Mar 03, 2009 at 14:53
I wonder if pouring big money into an engine bay is the answer? And in this economic climate!! Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

AnswerID: 352003

Follow Up By: Member - Ingo57 (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 03, 2009 at 15:10

Tuesday, Mar 03, 2009 at 15:10
Gday Michael

Different strokes for different folks, some people who have replied are really into there engines and getting the most out of them.

Ive done a rough comparison from the 4.8 petrol towing running at an average of 28lt/100km against the 4.2 diesel towing running at average around 18lt/100km over 50,000km with $1.30 fuel and diesel price and come up with around about $6000 difference. Spread that over the period of what we intend to do the trip in (1 year) and it comes out to around $17 per day.
Hardly seems worth doing the swap
I think I just answered my own question lol!
FollowupID: 620198

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 04, 2009 at 10:02

Wednesday, Mar 04, 2009 at 10:02
Gday Ingo, Towing my off road trailer i get about 16Ltrs per 100 with about 1 tonne all up. Around town and general running around i get around 12 LPH.. There are some gains to be made with the 4,2 with better exhaust etc but a good tune can also do wonders for power and fuel economy. Nissan service cannot tune there engines, absolutely hopeless.. There are a few guys around that can maximise output for the cost of the service but generally speaking, more power means more fuel.. just a thought Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

FollowupID: 620329

Reply By: Member - Ingo57 (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 03, 2009 at 18:12

Tuesday, Mar 03, 2009 at 18:12
I spoke with MTQ turbo's this arvo and got a price of $3200 for new turbo and Dump angle, 41% power increase is the claimed gain.
I have come across "Ball Bearing Turbo's" and am now wondering why 4.2 owners are not using these instead, Is there a reason for this???
AnswerID: 352031

Follow Up By: Trevor R (QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 03, 2009 at 21:12

Tuesday, Mar 03, 2009 at 21:12
I will post more stuff relevent to other people's questions above but wanted to add about the ball bearing turbo here. They give very fast spool up with good figures low in the rpm so in some peoples applications this is very good and well worth a look but they can be a lot more expensive....everything has a downside doesn't it hehehe. There is quite a few people using them and plenty of comp guys (endless money pits) but just ask Garrett turbos or Denco in Wagga about which turbo they reccomend for the GU and ball bearing is not their answer, they make the damn things so go figure????

Cheers Trevor.
FollowupID: 620252

Follow Up By: Member - Ingo57 (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 04, 2009 at 10:51

Wednesday, Mar 04, 2009 at 10:51
Trevor

This is good stuff, I have now spoken with Garret in regards to the Ball bearing Turbo's......... $2850 which will bolt onto the MTQ dump pipe, he feels that these are more reliable and as you said a faster spool up which gives much more bottom end and carrys right through the rev range.
More power = more fuel, I will ring a few other places for opinions but this is all Interesting stuff.

Cheers Ingo
FollowupID: 620337

Sponsored Links