FJ40 body lift query.

Submitted: Sunday, Aug 17, 2003 at 18:33
ThreadID: 6645 Views:6731 Replies:3 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

A mate has started a 2" body lift on his Toyota FJ40 shorty and now is stuck with the steering shaft not lining up as it is verry short due to the wheel base.
Its not just a mater of extending the shaft like on the Hilux ect.

Has anyone had any experience with this ?

He needs it to be safe and legal if possable.

Any sugestions or info links ???

Kev.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Aug 17, 2003 at 19:28

Sunday, Aug 17, 2003 at 19:28
Ask on the forum at www.outerlimits4x4.com.. All the tufftruck peoples are there. Yellow pete and all.

Othre to look at is www.snakeracing.com.au
AnswerID: 28222

Follow Up By: Kev - (Cairns,QLD) - Sunday, Aug 17, 2003 at 22:10

Sunday, Aug 17, 2003 at 22:10
Did just that.

Thanks.
FollowupID: 19547

Reply By: Coops (Pilbara) - Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 11:55

Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 11:55
Kev
Have just finished a 2" body lift on my 80 Series and have come across the same problem. What was the outcome for you guys. I think I'm gonna make it (just) but will have to grind away some of the inlet to the firewall to stop rubbing and lighten steering a tad.
Any clues and hints would be greatly appreciated

Coops
AnswerID: 29304

Follow Up By: Kev - (Cairns,QLD) - Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 12:23

Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 12:23
Hi Coops,

The problem with the 45 series is different to the 80 series, because of the short wheel base and the steering box being so close to the fire wall it is difficalt to align the shafts.

But the 80 series & Hiluxs ect it is not such a problem, all that is needed is to extend the shaft an inch or so.
On the Hilux you can just add a second rag joint but the Cruiser doesn't have one (only uni's) so you will need a steering shaft extension piece.

I know Snakeracing sell them for Hiluxs but not sure about the Cruiser. (mayby universal)
Paste the link below for a look at one, then click on "steering shaft extension"

http://www.snakeracing.com.au/hiluxindex.html

Also i posted this subject on another forum and had a few responses.

http://www.outerlimits4x4.com/PHP_Modules/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6510

Let us know how you went as i may lift the Cruiser one day.

Kev.
FollowupID: 20416

Follow Up By: Coops (Pilbara) - Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 19:21

Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 19:21
Kev
extended steering shaft as far as we could go but it's more the angle that is killing me now. To date I've had to remove the plate that holds the bushing/rubber surround from the firewall until I can find an answer as steering shaft sits on this pretty firmly and bites and is tough to turn. Am going to try grinding a bit of this plate away and see if that will do the trick.
80 Series is not as cut & dry as other vehicles as I've found out, but now that I've experienced the pitfalls I guess it will be easier if there should ever be another time.
Will check out your links - thanks heaps !
FollowupID: 20444

Follow Up By: Kev - (Cairns,QLD) - Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 21:44

Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 21:44
Other than that, how did the rest of the lift go ? How high ?

FollowupID: 20481

Follow Up By: Coops (Pilbara) - Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 16:32

Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 16:32
Kev - 50 mm (EXACTLY) and I wouldn't recommend to go any higher. Now that I know what to do I would say that it's pretty easy but I had a few dramas along the way.
Steering problem was an issue that I hadn't expected and shaft extension will cost a further $120. Fan shroud doesn't fit and I will have to get one custom made (bit of a risk up here without one that fits snugly)
All up it cost me $80 for the blocks and $10 for nyloc nuts. A bottle of scotch for a mate's assistance and a carton of beer on the day(s).
I will have to add the cost of steering shaft extension and radiator shroud but they're aspects I didn't know about and probably would have had to pay for anyway. I still need to fix gear levers and find a new top radiator hose and am hopeful of fabricating something that will fit top & bottom so only have to carry one spare.
Quotes I received were up to $400 for kit and same again (plus) for fitting.
Contact me should you attempt this as I have a checklist and photocopy of chassis drawing but as a precautionary note - I drilled 12mm holes in my nylon blocks but you cannot use 12 mm bolts on front or rear. The 180 x 10mm bolt on front will fit the rear for a 50mm lift but you cannot get a 230mm x 10mm bolt so I ended up using a length of rod with a nut tacked on which did the job fine and given that I have upgraded to 12mm HT bolts in the centre I think it's pretty bloody safe.
Looks great and a good learning curve but I needed someone with previous experience on the job.
FollowupID: 20559

Follow Up By: Kev - (Cairns,QLD) - Monday, Sep 01, 2003 at 11:06

Monday, Sep 01, 2003 at 11:06
With the gear levers i just cut out the floor to clear them, saves trying to heat & bend them.

Also i had a thermo fan so i didnt have the problem with the shroud.

Are you going to lift the bull bar ect ?
FollowupID: 20853

Follow Up By: Coops (Pilbara) - Tuesday, Sep 02, 2003 at 23:32

Tuesday, Sep 02, 2003 at 23:32
my bull bar actually lines up very well so I've decided that while I'm still here in the Pilbara I shall keep it and replace when I get back to Perth. Will add a 2" bracket for that and that's all that you will have to do anyway.
Rear bar looks terrible and has gotta go and will replace with a rear step bar soon.
Am going to look at cost of thermo fan v new shroud also.
With gear levers I am going to remove the lower boot and that should give me enough clearance.
FollowupID: 21008

Reply By: Member - Rohan K - Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 17:51

Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 17:51
Kev, I had an FJ40 that had this done - don't know who by sorry as it was that way when I bought it. The shaft had a small, universal joint in it about 1/3 the way back toward the box. It must work OK as I never had a problem, even with the monster tyres. The steering remained "tight" and direct for the 4 years I had it.Smile, you're on ExplorOz
Rohan (Sydney - on the QLD side of the Harbour Bridge)
AnswerID: 29338

Follow Up By: Kev - (Cairns,QLD) - Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 21:48

Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 21:48
This too has been considerd but doesn't want to weld the shaft.

Maybe we can cut & re-spline the shaft.

Thanks for the info.
FollowupID: 20482

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan K - Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 09:16

Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 09:16
There were no welds in the shaft so I assume they had used the re-spline method. To be honest, I thought it was standard, until I compared it to my other FJ40 which had stock suspension and steering.Smile, you're on ExplorOz
Rohan (Sydney - on the QLD side of the Harbour Bridge)
FollowupID: 20499

Sponsored Links