Fishing

Submitted: Monday, Mar 02, 2009 at 21:39
ThreadID: 66450 Views:3602 Replies:8 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,
We're off to Ningaloo mid April, first trip out of Perth since we arrived and we'd like to try a little fishing.
Can anyone give me a basic list for a beach rig - not too shabby but nothing top of the line either, just a good beginners kit. I'm presuming that the all in one kits you can get super cheap from camping stores like Anaconda are cheap for a reason!
I can find beach rods etc. online but would like suggestions on size, does 2 or 3 piece make a diference, are the telescopic rods any good, what type of reel etc. and a ball park figure to spend.
If anyone has any reputable shop names in Perth (pref. Northern Suburbs) then that would be great too.
Have had some great advice from this site already and we're almost ready to go, can't wait!
Thanks
Charlie.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Monday, Mar 02, 2009 at 21:58

Monday, Mar 02, 2009 at 21:58
Hi Charlie,
I've bought gear mail order off these people in the past, usually small items or unusual things I've found hard to get elsewhere.

Campells Pro Tackle

I've no idea if they are in the Norh, South, East or West of Perth but they have been helpful to me.

Campbells Pro Tackle,
171 Oxford Street,
Leederville,
Western Australia, 6007

The way you've phrased your question I'd guess you are making your first forays into beach fishing.

I really don't think you need anything that is too elaborate, something about 12' long in the rod department and a reasonable quality egg beater reel able to hold say 2 or 300 metres of say 12lb line.

As to one, two or three piece rods, that's up to you and how you intend to carry the gear. Me personally, I own about a dozen rods and they are all one piece as I believe multi piece rods bend queer.

Some will suggest an Alvey side cast real and they are good too. I've suggested the egg beater because of its beginner friendly nature and versatility.

If you get super keen on this fishing caper you can adapt a reasonable egg beater to use on a shorter rod and have some fun tossing lures around sandbars or even use it on a boat rod.

Hope that helps,

Geoff

Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

AnswerID: 351929

Reply By: D200Dug- Monday, Mar 02, 2009 at 22:02

Monday, Mar 02, 2009 at 22:02
I would head to BCF

http://www.bcf.com.au/store-locations/bcf-western-australia-store-locations.aspx

They are middle of the road and pretty good value, most staff work their because they love fishing.

I would look at a 2 piece 12 ft rod I like sidecast reels but it depends on what you are fishing for and how you like to fish..
AnswerID: 351935

Follow Up By: D200Dug- Monday, Mar 02, 2009 at 22:05

Monday, Mar 02, 2009 at 22:05
I also like to carry a 8 ft carbon fiber spin rod and spin reel with light line it is fun for flicking lures over the shallows.
FollowupID: 620125

Reply By: tarpon - Monday, Mar 02, 2009 at 23:00

Monday, Mar 02, 2009 at 23:00
Hi Charlie,

Top spot to going fishing.
Not to complicated on selecting an outfit you may need. These days brands lack penn and shimano make great combos to suit all styles of fishing.

What counts is getting to know what species are around and how to catch them. Go talk to Nick Hocking at Campbells protackle, Joe at Ranger Outdoors Osborne park, or pop in to any Bulewater stores.
These guys know their game and will give you advise on how to go about fishing up there, and make it a memorable experience. Up in exmouth, visit bluewater tackle, owners jeni lerch and mat gates are the best! Also try Ben Knight at same store -all wealth of info.

All due respect, these multi nationals, BCF, Anaconda et al are pretty good in supplying tackle, but have no idea on fishing. WA stores full of east coast gear and lures...no chance in the west.

Hope this helps and hope you catch your dream fish!

Regan.
AnswerID: 351943

Reply By: Rowdy6032 - Monday, Mar 02, 2009 at 23:59

Monday, Mar 02, 2009 at 23:59
Hi Charlie

I can also recommend the stores suggested above by Tarpon and they are nth of the river. They are all mad fisherman.
AnswerID: 351948

Reply By: Member - Mark - Exmouth WA - Tuesday, Mar 03, 2009 at 16:02

Tuesday, Mar 03, 2009 at 16:02
Charlie,
if you are going to buy fishing tackle for up here make sure you get some heavy duty stuff, wait until you get here to buy, as mentioned go to Bluewater tackle in Maley Street.

Regards
Mark
AnswerID: 352009

Reply By: Inkbandit79 - Tuesday, Mar 03, 2009 at 21:35

Tuesday, Mar 03, 2009 at 21:35
I'd try and get a couple of rods and a reels that match that has a spare spool, that way you can fish heavy for the bigger ones and lighter for the smaller species, 10 to 12 foot should see you through most of the surf stuff, but if you want a guaranteed catch save your money on the rods and go out on a charter, heaps of fun and you get to see the shore from the other side. If you do buy the rods you cant beat the simple paternoster rig its basicaly a sinker tied to a dropper of a swivel then another longer dropper going to your hook hook size will depend on what your trying to catch, just remember small hooks catch big fish to but big hooks cant catch small fish. Good Luck and tight lines
AnswerID: 352072

Reply By: Charlie & Helen - Tuesday, Mar 03, 2009 at 22:17

Tuesday, Mar 03, 2009 at 22:17
Thanks Guys,
This gives me a bit of basis for a visit to a tackle shop, after a bit of looking around online i'm thinking along the lines of a 2 piece 10 or 12 foot Ugly Stik - reasonable choice?
Will go for the salesmans advice on an eggbeater reel unless anyone has any standout suggestions?
Cheers once more, will let you know what I get and will post again with details of my gargantuan catches... Be afraid, fish. Very afraid!!!
Charlie.
AnswerID: 352086

Reply By: wallabyjack5 - Wednesday, Mar 04, 2009 at 09:23

Wednesday, Mar 04, 2009 at 09:23
Hi Charlie&Helen,
Alot can depend on what type off beach fishing you are going to do.We go to Ningaloo each year and all I take is a 11ft combo rod which we brought from Rangers for about $45 .It does everything we need to do.You can caste out a long way with it if you want too but we find most people caste over the fish anyway.If you are chasing say Threadfin or Dart you only need to caste in to the trenche which is usually only 10 or 12 ft off the beach.My son caught a 2-3ft sharke off the beach with his put up a great fight but the rod handled it with ease.
Anyway enjoy your time up there we will be up there in July.We go to Ningaloo Station and camp there just fantastic.

Regards
Glyn
AnswerID: 352126

Sponsored Links